GreaseSpot Cafe

AD-aware 6.0

waterbuffalo

Good, wb!

Are you also running Spybot Search & Destroy? And a virus scan? I don't know that you need a daily virus scan, weekly should be good, as long as you have some sort of real-time protection.

And if you run Spybot 3 days in a row and always come up clean, you could probably run that one less frequently, say once a week.

Also Spy Sites is another little free program that adds thousands of known spyware sites into the restricted Zone of your browser.

With Steve's suggestions, and maybe a few others including firewall protection and common sense I believe it is possible to eliminate spyware completely.

It is a real problem all over America, worse than viruses in my opinion and harder to fight.

I am working on a friends spyware laden computer which was rendered unusable.

Even with some of the powerful tools mentioned above and unplugging the Internet connection I had a hard time. Some spyware is deeply embedded and deeply hidden.

I had to finally resort to searching for and deleting lots of registry keys. One called TVM.exe was particularly vicious and kept recreating itself all over including in msconfig and in C:Progrm Files. I finally got it by deleting registry keys while in Safe Mode!

The everyday user has a real hard time with some of this crap. Prevention seems to be the best tool right now. Norton is getting into the game too.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Today, I ran Ad-Aware, haven't updated to 1.5 yet WW, my virus software, and even did a disk cleanup, which freed up lots of space. Then I went to my yahoo.com email and downloaded some free firewalls, etc., rebooted, and came back and DSL was running a lot faster, but my "freed up" space went back down to 64%.

But DSL is running a lot faster ......and they said I would have to have 75% free space for that to happen. Hope it continues at the same speed tomorrow.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

WW,

Just downloaded the latest LavaSoft Ad-Aware software and ran it. I had, at last count, 658 objects!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have Mercy!

No wonder it was runnning so slow! Geeze! Thanks for the suggestion. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Also, how do you use the Immunization Function and should I use the Smart System Scan or the Full System Scan or Other?

Thanks!

WB, it's not a matter of whether or not you NEED them, it's whether or not you WANT them.

Desktop themes are the wallpapers, backgrounds, color schemes and sounds for your computer. For example, one sound scheme is "Robotica", and the sounds that correspond to computer events will sound robotic. Events are things like opening a window, closing a window, clicking on buttons, things like that.

Most people never even know that those are available. If you want to make your puter more "fun", you might try loading them. They won't hurt your PC's performance, so no worries there.

OK. That was checked so I left it checked. Now I'm ready to do Start/Run/ and type in MSCONFIG.

Applets, hummmmmm. Couldn't find the applets from your paragraph:

quote:
That will take care of many of them. For the windows controls, things like mouse controls, display controls, volume, etc., go to Control Panel and check under the various applets. Most of these have an option to run or not run in the system tray.

There was nothing after load= or run= so that section seems ok.

quote:
Originally posted by waterbuffalo:

WW,

Just downloaded the latest LavaSoft Ad-Aware software and ran it. I had, at last count, 658 objects!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have Mercy!

No wonder it was runnning so slow! Geeze! Thanks for the suggestion. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Also, how do you use the Immunization Function and should I use the Smart System Scan or the Full System Scan or Other?

Thanks!

You should make sure your Spybot S & D is the latest version

also-I think that's 1.3...

"Immunization" is on Spybot.

The icon menu has an icon in the middle that looks like a

corner made of bricks. Activate that and thousands of the

worst programs will never be allowed in your pc.

The current AdAware also has a few widgets, like one to

shut off Windows Messenger, which is ALWAYS a good idea.

I run both once a day.

If I'm in a hurry, I use the "smart scan", otherwise, I prefer

the full system scan.

Of course, if you don't have a competent firewall and

antivirus running and updated, you have other problems...

(Hint: nothing by Microsoft.)