GreaseSpot Cafe

Spider-Man 2

Zixar

We saw it at the midnight Sneak and it was amazing. Only a couple of minor quibbles, but the rest was a cut above the usual mindless action fare. There's a lot more character work in between the action sequences, the interplay between Peter's life and Spider-Man's responsibilities, the on-again off-again with MJ...it was all very well done.

I also liked the way they set it up for there to be three villains in Spidey3, although only those familiar with the comics will know who two of them are (both have small, but important parts in this film)

And yes, Stan Lee does make another cameo, again saving the life of a little girl in a quick shot.

Best superhero movie ever? Quite possibly. If not, it's in the Top Two for sure.

Zixette loved it, and she's not a comic fan at all.

My wife and I saw it last night as well, and we really liked it. I was sort of hoping that they were going to have him develop the devices for his arms when his web shooters started failing to be more in line with the comic books, but oh well.

I also was amused by the style of the scenes that reminded me of the Evil Dead movies. I'm specifically referring to the scenes before Dr. Oc would be coming on screen where you hear the pounding of his claws on the buildings and see the camera zoom in. That's classic Raimi(sp?) if I ever saw it.

SPOILER ALERT - - - SPOILER ALERT - - - SPOILER ALERT

I would have liked to have seen them not portray Peter as temporarily losing his spider powers, I think it would have made his decision to stop being Spider-Man more real. Other than that, I loved it!

Who were you thinking of the three super villains Zix? I caught (obviously) Harry as the second Green Goblin, Dr. Connors as the Lizard...John Jameson as Man-Wolf? Or did I miss someone?

The balance between the emotional and the action was just right, IMHO, and the special effects were great.

I enjoyed the scene on the train where he had removed his mask and one of the commuters gasps and says "He's just a kid, he's not any older than my son" and several of the guys tell Doc Ock that he has to go through them to get to Spidey.

Harry Osborne's obsession is portrayed well, as is his descent into insanity.

They definitely stayed true to the spirit of the comics.

Edited by Oakspear

I collect Silver Age Marvel comics of the 1960s and have an extensive collection of some .... I dont know...maybe 600 comics. The comic below is worth a packet as long as it is in excellent condition. The black on the cover gets damaged easily.

The cover is a masterpiece.

asm028.jpg

Well Zix, sometimes I forget that not every moviegoer has read the comics. icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Although I gotta say, the Osbornes have better hair in the movies than in the comics icon_razz.gif:P--> and those little houses that the Parkers and the Watsons lived in looked to be authentic Forest Hills, they looked a lot like the one my grandmother lived in.

Another observation, although the movie ended on a more upbeat note than Spidey 1, the core of the Spider-Man comics is the tragic nature of Spider-Man: no matter how many happy endings there are, no matter how many villains are vanquished, no matter what good happens, there is always another disaster waiting to happen, another super bad guy come back from the dead.

On the other hand, he never really gives up. In the comics he gets his college degree, he marries Mary Jane (wonder if that will make it into the movies?), he pushes through incredible odds, and still remains sane.

SM2 was SOOOOOO much better then SM1!!!

The balance of action against plot was MUCH better....as were the special effects!

Steve! and I were in tears in the MJ and Peter scene at the end....I won't go into details to spoil it for someone else...but was very good and nicely realistic.

I did NOT like SM1...but SM2...LOVED it!!!

Loved the movie. Saw it opening day.

The theatre was pretty packed. People were talking quietly for the most part through the previews. There was no warning that the movie was going to start after the previews; it just started. It was gratifying to hear the people all go shhhh when the movie started - serious Spidey fans here.

Oak, "I would have liked to have seen them not portray Peter as temporarily losing his spider powers, I think it would have made his decision to stop being Spider-Man more real." Okay, a matter of preference I suppose. I figured that he started losing his spider powers because he was losing his focus because he was wavering in his decision and desire to BE Spider-Man - a bit of well done foreshadowing of the inner doubt that he had - building ambiguity and suspense.

He didn't determine not to be be Spider-Man because he was losing his powers; he was losing his powers because he was wavering in his committment to be Spider-Man. I don't know; maybe you realized that, & just didn't like it.

When the truth of why he was losing his spider powers - he really wasn't persuaded that he wanted to go that route anymore - was revealed, it made the synch between his decision and his powers all the more dynamic - a big theme in what Spidey is all about.

Yeah TH, I realized it, but it was just my preference that I'd have liked to have seen it the other way. He did get his powers back pretty suddenly though, just before the car came crashing through the window his spider sense kicked in, as did his spider reflexes.

Terrific flick. Those fights were excellent, and despite the fact that you can see it coming a mile away, that scene where MJ first sees Spidey AFTER the climactic fight was still stunning.