GreaseSpot Cafe

Brian Wilson's "SMiLE"

Jason P

I've only heard it once so far but all I can say is holy shiiiiit. Anyone else heard Brian Wilson's "SMiLE" yet? Obviously, Wilson doesn't have the vocal range he used to have but I think it's a beautifully crafted pop album the likes of which hasn't been attempted in ages (to my knowledge, anyway, unless Jellyfish counts).

I doubt if Brian Wilson has achieved what he's claimed he wanted to achieve for the last 30-odd years (I doubt if anything could live up to the legend), but this is as close to a real pop/rock symphony as anything I would care to hear. It's not up to the Beatles or even "Pet Sounds," but I'm glad I have it. The swirling vocals alone are gorgeous enough to recommend it but I also love the whimsical, shifting moods and textures and am very happy that the relatively sane Van Dyke Parks and Wondermints (one of my favorite pop - as opposed to rock - bands of the 90s) were there to help Wilson put it all in cohesive form musically and lyrically.

Hopefully I won't get sick of it after a few listens and take back my recommendation but at this moment I love this album and think everyone should hear it. I imagine most of the online music shops should have samples - they won't give a sense of the whole but should give a sense of the production and musical values.

• 2 months later...

Finally heard "Smile". I have mixed feelings. I can appreciate what Brian did but I wish he had done it when Dennis and Carl were still around. I guess you can piece together a Beach Boys version from the parts that were released over the years.

I'll have to give it another listen so I can hear it on it's own terms.

• 7 months later...

Did anyone (besides me) see the "making of" thing on PBS a little while back? (I think it was on PBS)... it was pretty fascinating deal all about leading up to performing it live in London... picking out the band members, all the things Brian was going through, etc... like I said, fascinating (at least to me)...

It culminated with the live performance with McCartney and others in the audience... it was touching (to me) and looked to be very healing to him...