GreaseSpot Cafe

The Aviator

George Aar

I just caught "Ebert and Roepers'" review of the new Scorcese film THE AVIATOR, about the life of Howard Hughes. They both think it's the greatest movie since BIRTH OF A NATION, I guess, and have predicted doubled-digit Oscar nominations.

I've got to wonder about the casting of Leonardo DiCaprio as the lead, though. I guess I need to actually see the movie and make up my mind, but damn, the kid has all the acting ability of a turnip, doesn't he? When I first heard of him in the part I thought it was the worst casting choice since putting Matthew Broderick in GLORY (what, Jerry Mathers wasn't available?).

We'll see next week...

Edited by George Aar

I forgot about him being in "Gilbert Grape". I don't know as that changes my opinion much, though, as I thought the movie was somewhere between uncomfortably weird and ugly. And I didn't pay much mind to DiCaprio in it.

And I've never even heard of "The Basketball Diaries". I was basing my opinion mostly on "Titanic" and "The Man in the Iron Mask". Both of which were lame performances - TMITIM incredibly so.

Being an erstwhile fan of Howard Hughes, I guess I'd be more comfortable with someone of the stature of DeNiro, Hoffman, or maybe Warren Beatty to play the part. DiCaprio just strikes me as too much of a lightweight.

But then, whaddo I know?

Hmm... methinks Trefor hath proven mine point.

George, I've often called Titanic "the best badly written movie ever made." You're right, the story is vapid and the dialogue is as bad as anything I've seen. But damned if I didn't love the movie, and no, I did not have a sense that more than three hours had passed when it was over. Cameron crafted a "story," such as it was, with one goal in mind: take me from bow to stern and everywhere in between, and give me a real good sinking sequence. Mission accomplished.

The Titanicreference reminded me of a pathetic, but amusing, moment in my college classroom a few years back...

...all the buzz was about this movie and going to see it...when I was given over to talk about it for a minute (it was a Theatre class), I was loudly interrupted by a teenage co-ed NOT to talk about it, she hadn't seen it, it would ruin the experience...

...I told her the boat sank. She was crestfallen. lololol

On a similar note...While in Chicago a few years back, my family and I did get to see the travelling Titanic Exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry...it was very interesting as well as moving.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, has anyone seen it yet? icon_wink.gif;)-->

I saw it and thought Leo did a phenomenal job. I didn't know jack about Howard Hughes before this film, but now I'd really like to know more.

My grandparents remembered when the trials were going on and that he bought the Sands Hotel because they tried to evict him.

Opinions? Especially from those who already knew some things about HH before seeing the movie?

Yes, I saw it. Leo did do a terrific job (especially at the Congressional hearing).

There are two plane "crash" sequences, one of which is phenomenal and scary as hell.

The women were... not so good. Cate Blanchett parodies rather than captures Kate Hepburn (although there are moments of absolute brilliance in her portrayal). And I will be in love with Kate (what the hell) Beckinsale as long as I live, but she made a lousy Ava Gardner.

Growing up in Las Vegas we heard about Howard Hughes every now and then. He lived in a penthouse at The Desert Inn (if memory serves me) and he didn't want much to do with anyone else late in life due to his mental illness.

He will be part of the richness of America's history with hollywood movies and flying history.

I want to see this movie...By the way...Ocean's 12 was great!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this movie yesterday, and I thought it was pretty good. In fact, I'd say that it's the wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

The wave of the future.

I'm not too sure about that. I'd like to see the original script, which is sort of the director's blueprint for the film.

Show me the blueprint.

Show me the blueprint.

Show me the blueprint.

Show me the blueprint.

Show me the blueprint.

Show me the blueprint.

Show me the blueprint.