GreaseSpot Cafe

The Aviator

George Aar

• 4 weeks later...

quote:
The women were... not so good. Cate Blanchett parodies rather than captures Kate Hepburn (although there are moments of absolute brilliance in her portrayal).

Well, I guess she showed me.

Congrats on the Oscar, CB!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't decide if I liked it or not. On the one hand, it was absorbing. Because of that, I didn't mind the length. It was interesting as a biography, but when it was over, I found myself asking: What was the point? Why did he tell this story?

• 3 months later...

I could almost feel the insanity creeping into that brilliant mind. I enjoyed his view of the world, seeing the world below him, whether landscapes or "just movie stars."

I agree with laleo. It was a ride without a destination, a theme-park experience. Worthwhile, for what it was.

I thought it was a great movie. I also thought Leo & CB both did an amazing job. Before I saw the movie I thought about Leo sort of like geo - I was really surprised at Leo's acting ability which I respect a lot now.

I was also surprised at the life of HH; I'd heard a few things growing up which I dimly remembered going into the movie - then, watching it, I thought, WOW, this guy was amazing; I want to find out more.

I talked my mom & dad into going to see it - that's when I found out more - or should I say less. My dad was contemporary to HH & worked in the airlines for decades. He said that much of what was portrayed about his accomplishments in the industry business-wise was Hollywood hype.

He didn't like the movie at all - mostly because of that.

I then figured much of the rest of the portrayal was blown way out of proportion & didn't want anymore to find out about the rest of his life.

I still liked the movie - as did my mom. Her only disappointment was that she already knew about his insanity up to the point where the movie ended; she wanted to find out what happened after that. I figured it was in good taste not to reveal that.