GreaseSpot Cafe

Mel's movie... "the Passion"

Al Poole

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got back from seeing it. It was very moving. Made me really THINK about what Christianity really IS and how wimpy I am sometimes when I think I'm getting a little persecution.

Don't want to say too much until others have seen it. We really enjoyed it.

Blessings,

WB

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

Wow I just heard on the news tonight that some woman in kansas suffered a heart attack and died during the part where JC is on the cross dying. Weird, huh?

If you do not tell the truth about yourself you can not tell it about other people.

virginia woolfe

WB - I guess something that graphic would make you think icon_eek.gif I plan to not see it, but hope all who do go, realize the significance of what was accomplished.

And yes I am "Wimpy" when it comes to hardship --(I will gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today ---!) icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

yeah vickles...I heard she died too.

Now watch, they'll make a huge deal out of how violent the movie is by suggesting it incites people to die suddenly as it's so shocking!! icon_eek.gif

I'll tell you, though I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm just going nuts over the so called reviews from the so called media. They are mostly negative. I'm not sure what any of them were expecting when they knew it'd be a movie about Jesus' crucifixtion.

C'mon shelley, I mean really...what were you expecting?

corrydj

"Why you going to the airport, flyin' somewhere?"

Yes, so sad.

We were in a theatre with a group of deaf people who signed to each other out in the lobby afterwards quite a bit. That was why it was so quiet afterwards because the theatre wasn't full. Me and Mr. WB? We were just sorta looking at each other and didn't know what to say for a while because we were so moved.

I wanted to go and just experience the message, not trying to figure out if it was word for word from the Bible and "accurate." But, at one point waybrain got me and I was counting the number of times they beat him. So, I had to tell myself to STOP IT! Then it was much better.

wb

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

Edited by Guest

Yes, very sad about that lady...icon_frown.gif:(-->

I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect the critics of the movie will capitalize on this tragedy by using it to deter people from seeing it.

Myself, I see it as a direct attack from the man downstairs to put a bad light on a very good thing.

Mr. Strange...how interesting...where did you find that out?

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Corry...

quote:
I'll tell you, though I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm just going nuts over the so called reviews from the so called media. They are mostly negative. I'm not sure what any of them were expecting when they knew it'd be a movie about Jesus' crucifixtion.

Thank you!!!

That's exactly what I've been saying...I guess the critics can't take the reality check! icon_wink.gif;)-->

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

I missed that interview, Mr. Strange...icon_frown.gif:(--> was workin' that night...I would have loved to seen it though. Thanks for the info.

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

-Bruce Springsteen

We saw it again this afternoon! It was good. The one main thing I got from it was what it means to be a Christian. They got the Christ exactly right, me thinks. He was good.

How could a human being go through that and not curse the people doing it? It is beyond me. What a reality check. Yes, we can forgive because no one has ever done even half that to us. Powerful message.

WB

I went to see it today.

It is very gory like a horror movie gory . We covered our eyes alot.

it might get some cinema awards for some of the shots that are outstanding , my friend thought it was more realistic than other bible movies. I wont see it again it is to bloody my friend said it made her think how jesus must have suffered but not so much me on that as I have thought about it for years from what the bible describes and have done teaching on how He was unrecognizable in the flesh . It is ok but i can see how some jewish folks may be concerned in the rise of problems this may cause, esp when it goes on tv.

I saw this film this morning. It is good. I, too, worry about what ignorant people might surmise regarding Jews role then and today. However, this film is muddling the role of the Jews just as in the gospel, I think. It is depicting Pilate's dilemma well.

I was also worried to be crying in public, but I did not. I only teared when Mary remembers running to pick up her little boy fallen. I could have been in whatever movie. I like the pieta in the frames penultimate.

It was typical Hollywood (not outstanding creative) which I am given up on. But as the devout Christian - I liked it anyway. Hollywood has no longer values for my time or money. Last movie I liked is Beautiful Mind. I am glad I went to The Passion though.

St. Ignatius Loyola instructs in "Spiritual Exercises" to use the imagaination for meditate on the passion. Mr. Gibson is helping my Lent. I got "dirty foreheaded" last night too.

I am a Way survivor. Down with bondage! Down with studies that are only to titillate and puff up pride. Down with a gospel without sacrifice. Up with truth which sets free.

Thank you,

Juan

[This message was edited by Juan Cruz on February 27, 2004 at 6:24.]

Edited by Guest

she might win as the mother of jesus the close ups of her emotions are moving . she gets bloody and I remembered when my son was hit by a car and I was covered in blood and didnt notice till he woke up in the hospital and thought I got hurt worse than he did.

Who is she she was very good. also judas and satan were excellent!

yep hollywood.