Mel's movie... "the Passion"

Al Poole

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another possibility:

Three Days

A dramatization of (to use the traditional model) the rest of Good Friday (following the crucifixion), the Saturday after, and Easter Sunday.

Doesn't have to be "100% bona fide Biblically accurate," just interesting (and try not to actually CONTRADICT scripture, if you don't mind).

What about the kids in relation to this movie ?

Its astonishing to me that those parents who

forbid their children to view violent movies

or play bloody video games would make an exception for this movie.

Yes of course I understand that many christian parents wish to impress upon their children the extent of Jesus' sacrifice but when you see children who are obviously scared and totally uncomfortable with the depictions then you

have to consider if this is really a good thing

or not.

I could be wrong but such parents seem

to have the idea that having their children

watch this movie is somehow going to convert

them to christianity. I would not agree. I don't think the movie is going to convert

anyone let alone children who have been more

or less forced to see it. There are many people

who aren't even christian who are going to see

the movie for a variety of reasons but some of

the fundamentalists think that this is gonna

save the souls ! I have no idea why.

One of the many reviews of "The Passion of the Christ" that alleges anti-Semitism actually managed to make a reasonable point.

As you probably know, the mainline Protestant denominations and post-Vatican II RC Church have made compromises to further Jewish-Christian relations. Of course, many scholars made pronouncements to substantiate these compromises. One of the main compromises is the shift the burden of responsibility for Jesus' torture and execution from the Jewish religious authorities to the Roman secular authorities. (Christian doctrines have always assigned the underlying blame upon the sin nature of humans.) Modern scholarship concludes that, in order to avoid persecution from Roman authorities, the Gospel writers added stories about Jesus' rebuke of the religious authorities during his ministry and their conspiracy to have him executed. Some scholars have concluded that Pilate issued the arrest warrant without involvement of the Sanhedrin.

This explains why many Jewish groups and some Christian authorities find "The Passion of the Christ" objectionable. The film protrays the Gospel account of the trial rather than the view now held by scholars. The National Council of Churches (USA) suggested an insert into weekly church bulletins that suggests "this movie might set back decades of Jewish-Christian relations".

Most folks on this discussion board are probably fairly familiar with the Gospel account. In the key areas, I think Gibson got the Gospel account right. I don't think it adds much to debate the number of crosses or elapsed time between arrest and death on the cross. Anyway, it's been a long time since I reviewed that material.

But one particular review made a particularly strong criticism of the timing of the arrest and proceedings. The Jewish writer noted how unlikely it would be that the chief priests would spend their Passover with Gentile legal proceedings. This, I think, is a strong argument if the Last Supper occurred at the beginning of Passover, which is the most common interpretation of the Gospels. On reading the account recorded in John, I really don't understand why the Church ever concluded that the Last Supper was a Passover meal.

As to your last paragraph, SkepTex, the sentence:

quote:
The Jewish writer noted how unlikely it would be that the chief priests would spend their Passover with Gentile legal proceedings.

may carry some weight, but then again, "politics makes for strange bedfellows" to which this old adage may very well aptly apply. After all, they were murdering an innocent man, the Son of God...

Johnny,

Did you get to see the movie yet? My neck hurts too much from doing data entry all day to look back too far(thank you, God for the job). I know you said you thought you'd have to rent it. Why not go to a matinee? They aren't sold out here and we went the first two days. Just a thought...

wb

Asked why he began studying Greek at age 94, Oliver Wendell Holmes replied,"Well, my good sir, it's now or never!"

Johnny Lingo said:

Ohh...People used to take their kids to public hangins and be-headings. This aint gonna hurt em none at all. Let 'em see it and maybe the littel ingrates will learn something about being thankful for once in their pampered little American lives...

>>

How is taking a child to see what is undeniably a violent movie about one slice of the Christ story going to make them ,as I asked in my original post, embrace/convert to christianity or perhaps , as you said, "learn something about being thankful for once in their pampered little American lives..."

Also ,one would hope if the parent were doing their job in the first place that they wouldn't have to take them anywhere , much less to a violent movie , to learn to be thankful. Spoiled

children get that way because of parents.

Edited by Guest

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was very well done, and it was nowhere near as violent as I'd been led to believe. I thought it was about the only way to get the point across without glossing it over or relying solely on shock tactics.

It made me rethink some things.

Why Diazbro! So nice to learn of a parent who does everything right! Or are you a parent? I am presuming that you are though.

But ya know, there are a lot of parents who have already "missed the mark" with their kids, and so it won't hurt them to see how the only perfect man who ever lived had a "little" unfairness dished out to him, and how he "opened not his mouth" in response..

And besides, that movie, as Zixar said wasn't as violent as he was led to believe.

And, we are talking about the crucifixion of our Lord Jesus Christ here, and ya know, "torture unto death" is usually a fairly violent thing, and I would venture to say that it is whole lot cooler to take your children to see The Passion then it is to take them to see or let them watch the return of some Hobbit King with all of it's horrible monsters, goblins, and such...

Johnny

You are a tough guy and it is very appealing.

So, is my hubs a tough guy. HE THOUGHT it was MORE violent then he was led to believe.(and has been in bar fights and some pretty violent situations) And he was concerned through out the movie about this six year old child who was sitting a row or two behind us.

Johhny, go see it and check in. You seem to be a rough and tumble manly man with a teddy heart- I am curious to see how this affects you as I was surprised at my own 6'4" guy closing his eyes to some of the movie and how he told me he was praying for the child watching it.

Before I saw it, I thought and felt differently.

flag.gif

Edited by Guest

Hey Dot,

Sounds like your husband is a cool guy. And yeah, six years old really is a little young for that, but I wouldn't hesitate with a ten year old or up. I have an eleven year old who would benefit from it I think.

However, it may be a year before I see it anyway because there is no movie theater here in this one moose town. Unless of course we go to Juneau fairly soon, or maybe Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. If not, I may have to wait for the video.

As far as me being rough and tumble, well, thanks for the compliment, and that is mostly true. But I am also a big baby. I cry when I listen to "Hello In There" by John Prine (listen to it sometime!), I cry when I see things like father/son, father/daughter, mother/son, mother/daughter reconciliations in movies and such. And I even get choked up at the end of certain "chick flicks" like Officer and a Gentleman, Sleepless in Seattle, and You've Got Mail. So don't be decieved by your five senses! Hah! Sorry bout that.. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

I am relatively sure that I will be fairly touched to see this new enactment of our lords crucifixion and ressurection.

I think that I just plain love Love. I am enamored with this thing called Love, and I love it when Love triumphs, wins, and conquers.

And I love all things that come with love. I love respect, honour, duty, self sacrifice for love and all of it.

I guess that is why I love God so. I am hoping that this movie will help me to have a greater appreciation for Jesus the man

I think Gibson could have easily told the whole Christ story, birth to resurrection, if he'd pushed it out to 3 hrs. Shown a little more of Christ's great compassion for the people, and a little less of him being flayed into kosher salami.

Purely cinematic nitpicks:

1) Jim Caviezel's digitally-colored eyes. At times they're ORANGE, for Pete's sake! (They're naturally blue, but no one would buy a blue-eyed Jesus.)

2) Another eye bit: At the end, when Mary is cradling Jesus' dead body after they take him off the cross, Caviezel's left eyelid flutters several times during the extreme close-up. Come on! He can't "act" dead any better than that?

Edited by Guest

Oh Water Buffalo-

I live in a remote part of Alaska, and we have no "picture show", no movie theater. And by the time I make it to the "big city" like Juneau or Whitehorse Canadia, the movie may be gone..

We are members of "Netflix" (the CD rental club), so as soon as it comes out, we'll probably get it from them. Maybe we can use the big screen tv at the local bar for people to watch it at. We wouldn't charge admission which would make it legal to do.

But boy oh boy oh boy. Could you imagine the crowd watching it if they were drinkin? I'd probably have to wear rubber boots because of all of the tears!

I have two criteria for my sons to see "The Passion of the Christ":

1) They must read all four Gospel accounts of the event and be able to discuss them to my satisfaction.

2) They must want to see the film, knowing full well that it is extraordinarily violent.

My 13-year-old son can do #1 but doesn't want to go. My 11-year-old son wants to go, but hasn't yet done #1.

There's no way a 6-year-old can appreciate this film. I've been fairly obsessed in reading the film's reviews, and it appears to me that many adult film critics are incapable of understanding this film also.

Jonny, I like the way you think about spoilt-brat American kids, but I'd be afraid that, unless they were already Christians, they'd be looking forward to the videogame version of the "The Passion".

I can see it now: "From the people who brought you 'Grand Theft Auto', TakeTwo InterActive presents 'The Passionator'. You've seen the film; now get into the action. This intensely graphic game transports the player back to Jerusalem in 33 CE with two modes of play. In RPG mode, the player connives to arrest the Christ and have the Roman authorities crucify him. In 1st person mode, the player experiences the sinful satisfaction of beating the Christ and nailing him to the cross. Software also includes interactive training in using whips, rods, cat o' nine tails, chains and other instruments of torture to maximum effect. Multi-player Internet version available in March 2005. Rated M. Available at Best Buy, Circuit City, and other fine retailers."

Sound outlandish? I would have thought so, too, until I learned that my 11-year-old's peers amuse themselves with GTA, the game where the player gets extra points for killing a prostitute before he has to pay for services rendered.

Seriously, man, the spoilt brats need to come to Christ first.

On the other hand, maybe viewing a realtime execution of a convicted murderer wouldn't be such a bad thing ... a dose of the real consequences of crime might dissuade a kid from GTA.

[This message was edited by The Skeptical Texan on March 19, 2004 at 11:18.]

Edited by Guest

Johhny Lingo said:

Why Diazbro! So nice to learn of a parent who does everything right!

>>

Yea isn't it ? Though did you claim to be a perfect parent ? No I don't think so. Neither did I. Perhaps you'll tell me who you had in mind when you wrote down that thought. Once you

do I'd like to talk to that person. I've got

plenty of questions.

You were the one who made the wholesale reference to "the littel [sic] ingrates" with "pampered little American lives".

Perhaps because I don't consider my kids to

be in that category you might have felt that

to be an implied claim of parental perfection.

>>

But ya know, there are a lot of parents who have already "missed the mark" with their kids, and so it won't hurt them to see how the only perfect man who ever lived had a "little" unfairness dished out to him, and how he "opened not his mouth" in response..

Actually I suggest that its the parents who

might benefit more from the experience more

than the children. Lots of parents are far more

selfish and self serving than they allege their children to be.

Perhaps if these adults contemplated the message of the movie and attempted to apply some of that perspective to their relationship with their children then they wouldn't have to drag the kids to see TPOTC in an effort to compensate for having "missed the mark".

Obviously not every parent taking their children to see this movie are doing so for

these reasons.

>>

And, we are talking about the crucifixion of our Lord Jesus Christ here, and ya know, "torture unto death" is usually a fairly violent thing,

>>

Well obviously. Thats the whole point. Its

a violent movie. Will an 8 year old be able to look past the violence at the deeper message ?

Do they even have the requisite knowledge and ability to put it into perspective ?

Edited by Guest

Diazbruh-

With all of the garbage available in our culture, I hardly think that they will be skewed for life if they watch this. And I am thinking of 8 years old and up...

I saw Old Yeller meet his death by rabies as his beloved best friend shot him at point blank with a black powder rifle when I was seven or so. I didn't know a whole lot about life yet, but believe me, that was way traumatic for me as a kid! I cried and cried when Old Yeller died and asked my Mom to explain it to me over and over, but in the overall, even though I had no "requisite knowledge to put it in perspective", it was good for me:

Old Yeller was a hero

Life ain't fair

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

People who settled this country dealt with tough hardships...

But hey Diaz. This is a nice thread. I don't want to argue with you. You seem to be a nice man, and it seems to be tending that way, so you keep your young'ns from seeing it, and I'll take mine to see it, or watch it when it comes out on DVD.

Peace bruh icon_smile.gif:)-->

JL

p.s.

I spose there is only one "perfect parent" and I guess He is the One whom we should learn more about talking too! icon_smile.gif:)-->

Edited by Guest

quote:
I saw Old Yeller meet his death by rabies as his beloved best friend shot him at point blank with a black powder rifle when I was seven or so. I didn't know a whole lot about life yet, but believe me, that was way traumatic for me as a kid!

Me too, but that movie did an excellent job of showing how hard it was for Travis to do what he had to do without being graphic. I didn't need to see the lead ball blast Old Yeller's brains all over the inside of that shed to understand that.

The monkey scene in the wizard of OZ

OMG I still have nightmares they tore scarecrow into little pieces some over there and over there OMG I FREAKED I did I was dam traumatized at that!!!!!

and then they flew in the sky by the thousands with the red sky and the music of death march

with toto in the ugliest monkeys ARMS OMG IM still afraid and that was violent it is still violent .

I thought they were killer monkeys. I do not care if they where under the witches spell and really gentle peacful FREAKS that could talk they were just violent and scary and nasty . they tore scarecrow from limb to limb and he had no brain do you hyave any idea how scary that was for me as a KID?

ooh sorry no I do not think kids should see this movie.