GreaseSpot Cafe

Beware of "The Passion"

Digger

I've been encouraged to spread the word, the new movie being released by Mel Gibson is getting a LOT of media hype, but the movie portrays in gruesome detail the torture of Christ. The movie may have the opposite effect than stated, and cause a spiritally negative feeling of grief and remorse in the Christian Church. This is likely to be hyper-intensified in youthful minds, so I'd encourage anyone interested in seeing this movie to be very wary and leave your kids at home, or consult beforehand with a spiritually aware minister.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw some still shots from it in this week's Entertainment Weekly, and Digger's probably right. It isn't rated 'R' out of malice, it's 'R' because it's extremely graphic. I'd recommend parents definitely go see it first before taking kids to see it.

but for those that have seen it... most say the experience is very moving in a positive way... that the entire audience is either one of two:

-sits in stunned silence at the the significance of what Christ endured

-openly weeps at the significance of what Christ endured

I'm on the outside, looking inside, what do I see? Much confusion, disillusion, all around me.

Thanks for the heads up, digger. But I think the word's out about how gruesome the torture scenes are. My 16 year old daughter will see it before I do. She's a staff member at our church, and will see it the day before it's released in theatres, with the rest of the staff. I'll see what her reaction is...and be there to comfort her if she needs it.

Digger...

I agree, if in fact Mel Gibson tries to portray the crucifiction as biblcally accurate as he says he has, it will not be for the fainthearted. I plan on seeing it as soon as it is in my local theater.

Mr. Strange...

I think I will be included in the latter of your two descriptions...already plan on taking my Kleenex.

Peace and love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Agreed, care for the age and maturity of the views is important.

quote:
The movie may have the opposite effect than stated, and cause a spiritally negative feeling of grief and remorse in the Christian Church.

It might, it might. It always amazes me that people AREN'T shocked at the story of the crucifixion, even many Christians. Maybe some people read it and just flip to the next page. It might do some people good to wake up and think about what it says actually happened.

Last year, "Hellraiser" ran on a network station, rerun in normal viewing hours. I wrote the station and told them they should have their licencse revoked. We definitely need to watch out for our kids.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

Mel Gibson is a deeply religiuos man and this film has been his passion for many years. He financed the whole thing himself and will probably become obscenely rich as a result.

Good for him. He is one of the best film makers anywhere around, he's made some wonderful movies. Graphic violence? Extreme from what I've heard but this is not the same kind of graphic violence you see in a horror movie. Because of the context of this violence, it could serve as a graphic illustration in the mind of the Christian believer and therefore contribute to a greater appreciation of their faith. No kids, mature folks only.

...and doesn't the bible clearly say that the Jews killed Jesus?

quote:
Originally posted by Groucho:

...and doesn't the bible clearly say that the Jews killed Jesus?

I believe the argument about the potential for an anti-semetic backlash is that the supposed anti-semites are going to think:

"Hey, those damn Jews killed Jesus, the Jewish messiah! Those Jews are evil, including Jesus. That's why I am a Christian!"

Anyone with at least half a brain can't be Christian and an anti-semite at the same time. However, there are a few people out there that will be stupid no matter what. The Jewish kid that claimed he was adopted and became a skinhead comes to mind.

Historically and factually, it was the Sanhadren (sp?) that condemned him and turned him over to the Romans to carry ourt the execution.

Biblically (and spiritually?), unless I'm mistaken, I believe that the scripture says that it was ALL of EVERYBODY'S sins and transgressions that he died (was killed) for. So based on that logic, we ALL killed him, yes?

Tell *that* to your local Neonazi skinhead, and watch him get his panties in a knot.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

My own secret sign-off ====v,

Rational logic cannot have blind faith as one of its foundations.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Yes he did, corrydj. I was really impressed by Gibson's knowledge, candor and humanity. I normally don't like Sawyer, she always has that pained look like she sat on a pin and she seems to think that asking the same question 5 times is doing a 'tough interview'. But she let him answer his questions and let the answers stand.

I think the toughest thing to see about Jesus's death is the fact that the crucifixion wasn't meant to be a bullet to the head and bye-bye. It was intended to be a horrifying and painful death.

It's caused quite a stir. I've been curious about how Gibson came to making this movie, and why it became so important to him. Catholicism has always dealt with the graphic depiction of human suffering as a means to salvation. I was raised Catholic and in a way it doesn't surprise me that he'd focus on this given his religion. It's definitely causing discussion on Jesus and what his death means.

I'll be watching how it unfolds closely, like a lot of people I'm sure.

In line, in line, it's all in a line. My ducks are all in a row.

They do not change, they do not move. They have nowhere to go.

James Taylor

Edited by Guest

Well said Socks.

I too was raised Catholic and in twi we were made to think that the pope was an agent for evil and all the statues in the church amounted to idol worship.

In retrospect, watching my relatives worshiping in that way taught me a lot about the love of God.

Maybe it's not the way I worship today, or maybe I don't believe the emphasis should be on the death, rather the ressurection.

But I think everyone needs to get a glimpse (the real thing was probably much worse) on the suffering that Jesus went through for us.

corrydj

"Why you going to the airport, flyin' somewhere?"

I also was raised Catholic, and I have to agree with corrydj, that the resurrection is the more important aspect to focus on. But ---------

I heard a Jewish preacher once talk about the crucifixition, and he described it in the most graphic of detail (with all the body parts hanging out, the flayed skin, the total disfigurement of the body of Christ), and then made the comment --- Quote -- "This is what sin looks like to God. God sees all sinners in this state, and not as the perfect being He made man as originally, and this is how He sees us, unless we accept Christ." end of quote.

I think he was right. None of us can even begin to imagine the enormity of what Jesus went thru.

I admire Mel for his agressiveness, and determination to get this subject out, but am not sure if I am ready to see it yet.

My church is renting a theatre for three nights to show "The Passion" so far I have two co-workers who are going to come.

All ex-Wayfers should see the movie. Everybody should. Not everyone will respond the same, but it should be seen — even if only because the lousy frogs (France for you there in Rio Linda) banned.

Does anyone know if Mel Gibson includes anything in the movie about the resurrection??

That would be the ultimate happy ending, wouldn't it?! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen