GreaseSpot Cafe

Beware of "The Passion"

Digger

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why the media is picking this movie as a vehicle of anti-semitism. There have been other movies that have been given rave reviews that pitted one group against another. Pearl Harbor vilified the Japanese. Civil War movies reenact the battles between the North and the South. Why weren't any of these put down as fueling a fire of one group against another.

History happened. We cannot change what has past. Some things we are proud of and others we are not. What are we as a society going to do? Ignore the past? Can we not tell a story truthfully because one group may be offended?

We simply cannot whitewash everything.

Y3K -- Start Early

Socket Creep said...

quote:
History happened. We cannot change what has past. Some things we are proud of and others we are not. What are we as a society going to do? Ignore the past? Can we not tell a story truthfully because one group may be offended?

Amen and Amen!!! Thank you!

Peace and Love.

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

when I was pondering the Protestant importance-of-the-resurrection criticism of the more-Catholic view of the preaching-Christ-and-Him-crucified approach (The Catholics are the ones with the crucifix, Him crucified, in their churches).

It occurred to me that the malefactor who requsted Jesus remember him when He came into His kingdom only saw the crucifixion -- and that crucifixion was enough to believe the whole resurrection story because only One Who was The One could have endured all that and and not even whined about it.

Hopefully still,

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

Well, I saw the previews on TV and I have tentatively planned to see it. As far as gore is concerned, have any of you seen the miniseries "Kennedy" with Martin Sheen as JFK? In the assassination scene, though not all that gory, the expression on JFK's face (as played by Sheen) as he was hit was very unnerving. So I do plan to brace myself.

Chuck's secret signature:

Nobody has ever found freedom worshipping a god!

I don't need no stinkin' crown!

Chuck

CKnapp No --- I don't go to movies, and I hate violence depicted on the "big screen", even if it carries a message. I just posted here to say GOOD LUCK in bracing yourself. Hope you get something out of it. (I can see both sides of this issue, and hope your side does you proud). icon_smile.gif:)-->

Quote: "let's not forget Mel Gibson's scene toward the end of Braveheart when he cried out "FREEDOM"..."

I agree. Then there're the various scenes in Patriot where young men marching against the British are shown being hit by cannon balls and having their heads, legs, and arms torn off during the battles.

I'll be bringing my kids to see "The Passion", but I'll brief them before we go as to what led up to this brutality and why it had to happen this way. From what I've seen of the trailers and news sources, this one is going to be pretty gory, but the real thing was probably 10 times worse and twice as smelly.

My 2 cents...

Nomad888

Nomad

We must live in a parallel universe. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I was talking to my 16 yr. old daughter about seeing the movie on Tuesday. She said, "Mom, do you mind that I'm seeing it before you?" I said no, of course not. After all, your favorite movies are Braveheart, The Patriot, and The Last of The Mohicans. (All movies which I have never managed to see all the way through. icon_smile.gif:)--> )I think you can handle it. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

"But I do have one request," I said. Will you sit next to me when I see it?"

My daughter is so cool.

I have read the posts and the original intent of the 'warning' about the movie. I think it very important for us parents to reinforce with our children, grandchildren etc. that this is a depiction of the crucifiction not an actual crucifiction.

While the message is important and is told in Isiah and the gospels, I believe kids of a certain age can look and realize that these graphics were NOT REAL but made to look real. The nails did not go thru the hand, they showed how it was done yesterday on tv. The message is the important thing and to make people think.

So just as we teach them that Halloween, Freddie Kruger etc are good graphics not real a parent can do the same w/this movie. No one is actually getting crucified.

I only wish they are accurate on Jesus carrying his own cross.

Lorna.......love my cookies!

I have to agree with Garth in that, specifically, the Sanhedren convinced the Roman authorities to kill Jesus and even inspired mob crowds against him. That is the biblical record, so actually, CERTAIN Jews killed Jesus and NOT ALL Jews killed Jesus, along with CERTAIN Romans.

To say that Gibson is anti-semitic is like saying that those who do movies on World War II are anti-German or anti-Japanese, or those that do movies on the American Revolution are anti-British. We are just dealing with historical records and they are what they are.

But it is true that as far as to those that believe in Christ and are Christians, the belief is that Christ died for our sins and that we all sinned and came short of the glory of God. So we all killed Jesus in that respect since he had to die to save us.

Marked and Avoided

quote:
I only wish they are accurate on Jesus carrying his own cross.

What do you mean, Lorna? Do you mean you hope they don't show him carrying it, falling three times, and having Simon take over?

What's "accurate" on this subject?

Three gospels depict Jesus carrying his cross. One of them mentions that Simon of Cyrene carried it. While this "discrepancy" was presented to us as a flat out contradiction that could only be reconciled by spiritualizing the meaning of "the cross Christ bore," I contend that there's at least one alternative: NONE of the three gospels which depict Jesus carrying his cross indicate that he carried it the whole way. They only say that he was led to Golgotha, carrying his cross. Doesn't say he ARRIVED at Golgotha carrying his cross. The idea that he might have fallen once, twice, maybe even three times is at least AS plausible as the idea that he never touched it at all.

No?

CORRECTION: as Def points out in a later post, I got this backwards. ONE gospel depicts Jesus carrying his cross. The other three depict Simon doing it. Thanks Def!

[This message was edited by Rafael 1969 on February 23, 2004 at 19:03.]

Edited by Guest

Like I said in my first post here, I might bemistaken,,,,will some of you movie bufs clue me in?,,,, Was not this movie first shown in aramaic or hebreew diaogue first? What is your take on Mel's wanting to show the muslem world what Christ really suffered? Do you really think he was trying to awaken Christendom in the USA? Please feel free to answer,,,anxiously awaiting!

Somehow, I don't see Mel Gibson spending $25 million of his own money and hiring folks who aren't tip-top stars for the major parts in order to teach the Muslems a lesson about Christ's suffering!

I've watched many interviews and several reviews and I'm convinced that he is making this film out of his own personal convictions as best he can. He's stated that he has staked his career on this so I really don't believe he has an ulterior motive of any kind..

*NB - I heard Walter Cummins say once that the ultimate end of all Biblical research should be "worship" [or words to that effect - the quote is not exact] and that makes perfect sense to me.