GreaseSpot Cafe

EAster Candy

quote:
...The other surprising issue is that there is not more of an outcry among some conservative Protestant leaders against the custom of passing out candies during the easter season (although, I'll admit I've heard of some fundamentalist clergy that have expressed their distate with the eggs, chicks, and rabbits -- as fertility symbols). I would think that they, wanting to separate themselves completely from Catholic-like customs would want to eliminate this custom, as it gives reference to the end of a "season." Have any of you who participate in conservative Protestant denominations/ parishes heard any outcry out of the pulpits on this issue?

Interestingly enough, Mark, this news story came out this week:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4693430/

I think whatever point they wanted to make was completely obscured. Maybe they should follow up by crucifying Santa Claus next Christmas, then having everyone in their production scream out loud, "There is no Santa Claus". Great fun, especially for the kids. icon_frown.gif:(--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

More to the topic, I loved all the candies put out for easter: Chocolate bunnies, jelly beans, gum drops, Cadbury and Mary Sue easter eggs...all of them yum-yummy!