GreaseSpot Cafe

Same sex marriage-Massachusetts

J0nny Ling0

cynic:

quote:
Scripture is my ultimate rule of faith and practice.

Or rather your reading of scripture, or the reading of scripture you have been taught.

After all, scripture can be read,understood and translated mamy different ways.

Take a look at http://www.truluck.com/index.htm sometime.

Trefor Heywood

"Cymru Am Byth!"

• Upvote 1

quote:
Originally posted by excathedra:

okay so i'm still here

cynic, can you tell me in plain english what you think ? really i mean it

?

According to my research, I think cynic's use of the word polygyny is meant to limit the discussion to the practice of allowing a man to have more than one wife or female mate at the same time --- as opposed to polygamy, which by definition (but not by mormon practice) means that either spouse may have multiple mates of the opposite sex. In other words, if the doggone mormons were honest, they wouldn't have called their practice polygamy, but used the word "polygyny" instead, because polygamy would have allowed a wife to have more than one husband at the same time.

Now that that distinction has been made clear, what do we do now?

• Upvote 1

Bob and Tom have the same right to engage in a marriage as any other person, they simply cannot get married to each other, or any other member of their own gender.

Neither can marry his sister, either, no matter how much the two might consent, even if both are sterilized. Nor can either marry a six-year old unrelated girl.

It doesn't matter how much any of them whines about it, the fact is that the state has always reserved the right to dictate marriage restrictions for the greater good of the society as a whole. As has been repeatedly asked and avoided, there is no apparent societal plus side for the defense of homosexuality whatsoever, whereas there is an obvious downside to it, just the same as incest, polygamy, and pedophilia.

One always has to take the responsibility for every single privilege they wish to claim. They do not get to transgress the rules just because they want to have their cake and eat it, too. If a person wants to be a Catholic priest, they cannot also have sex with women. If a person wants to enjoy base purchase privileges, they must be a member of the Armed Forces. If you refuse to pay the price, you don't get to have the goods. I don't see why that's so difficult for anyone to grasp.

If you want to be married, you can only be married to one unrelated person of the opposite gender. That's the price of being married. Attempting to change a long-established institution is very much seeking special privilege. Homosexuality is not a disability. Just as the priest-wannabe must choose to repudiate his sexual preferences in order to become a priest, homosexuals must currently make the same choice if they want to enjoy the benefits of marriage. If they cannot choose that path, no one will force them to. But just as single people must also marry if they want marriage benefits, should they be able to just claim they don't want to marry and receive them anyway? Of course not.

• Upvote 1

quote:
Neither can marry his sister, either, no matter how much the two might consent, even if both are sterilized. Nor can either marry a six-year old unrelated girl.
okay i don't get this comparison

and the next one....

quote:
whereas there is an obvious downside to it, just the same as incest, polygamy, and pedophilia

SAME ????? what ?

now i'll go back and keep reading

?

Edited by Guest
  • Upvote 1

FORGET IT. i'm not going back to read

the fact that you just said that as there is an obvious downside to it, just the same as incest, polygamy, and pedophilia

i do not care if you come back and say you didn't mean they are the 'SAME' thing

you have lost all my respect by your whatever you call it logic

i KNOW ABOUT incest and pedophilia firsthand

HOW DARE YOU !!!!

bible man

you and cynic and everyone else

HOW DARE YOU

you make me puke

?

[This message was edited by pawtucket on February 07, 2004 at 11:01.]

Edited by Guest
  • Upvote 1

quote:
One always has to take the responsibility for every single privilege they wish to claim. They do not get to transgress the rules just because they want to have their cake and eat it, too. If a person wants to be a Catholic priest, they cannot also have sex with women. If a person wants to enjoy base purchase privileges, they must be a member of the Armed Forces. If you refuse to pay the price, you don't get to have the goods. I don't see why that's so difficult for anyone to grasp.

?

[This message was edited by pawtucket on February 07, 2004 at 11:02.]

Edited by Guest
  • Upvote 1

Come ON, ex! No one can be that dense!

It is illegal to marry a first cousin or closer relative because of the real danger of genetically damaged inbred children, which have a high probability of winding up wards of the state, taken care of at society's expense.

Polygyny is illegal because such families can quickly overexpand past the ability of the adults to provide for basic needs of the children, let alone how it subjugates women.

Pedophilia is illegal because minors are not deemed able to understand the ramifications of their actions, no matter if the child consents.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I can't think of a single reason, beyond religious ones, why polygamy can't be legal. Sure tax forms and social security rules would have to be changed. Big deal.

It isn't like there aren't already guys out there making babies with five and six different women and women making babies with five or six different men. The government has already found ways to deal with the paternity and maternity issues in such cases, at least to some degree.

There could even be some value in it, if all the people could figure out how to get along and not be jealous. (I'm woman enough to admit I couldn't do that.) Think about it, more people to help pitch in and raise the kids, keep house, share expenses. Hell, I have no romantic or sexual interest in a woman, but I sure would love to have a wife. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

• Upvote 1