GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you think of past loves?

Dot Matrix

An old high school boyfriend is president of a local bank and he is in the papers from time to time - he looks shockingly OLD!! (but he has money)

An old love found me through the internet - he sends me poems - he wants recent pictures of me - my computer only takes digital - i am lazy about copying pictures and sending them to him!! he will probably think I look shockingly old?? Not as much as my former bank pres. - the guy who found me is a lawyer - though he doesn't practice - he works in research - he is also a musician - (not famous) he sent me a cassette that he did. He would also like to publish a novel - he has written two of them - I am "in" one (sorta) It's pretty funny him finding me

• 2 years later...

I found my friend Tracy. We e-mail now. She is divorced, has a daughter, and is working hard as a nurse to make ends meet. She is a fine person. I have had the chance to tell her about Jesus Christ, and she has received it with delight. Makes me thankful to be able to return something to her, something much more valuble than the "crush" that she gave to me when I was young, although that crush was so sweet and beautiful...

And folks. Don't worry. I am not introducing her to some TWI offshoot. I am just telling her of our redemption through Jesus Christ our lord, and how he will come back one day and set this old world straight once and for all...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I recently had a dear male friend from my past re-enter my life. One thing he said that blew my mind, was that he had wondered what if he had married me instead of the two ladies he had married. He wondered if being that he and I have so much in common, even though their body types were more to his liking, would we still be happy together today?

He and I were both married to others during almost all of our friendship, so I never looked at him that way. My response to him was that I can't even entertain that thought, for two reasons; He was my friend's husband and If we simply stay friends I get to keep him forever. If we risk crossing that line and become lovers and lose the thrill, then we lose the friendship.

The odd thing to me is that since that conversation I've spoken with his ex-wife, who gave me permission to date her ex-husband. I told her that would be gross, I might as well date HER and that she most certainly does not have my permission to date my ex-husband. I know we're divorced way over 10 years, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

What do you think?

Oh this sounds juicy. I think if you are single and he is single that you should consider dating him. And then let the chips fall where they may. Besides I like the idea of being best friends with my girlfriend/lover anyway. Also if you and your ex have not been married for 10 years that it is time to release him. I would give the O.K. for your girl friend to date your ex. Doing my best cupid imitation today. Look out dear Abby cause here I come. No pun intended.

And to answer the question "Do you think of past loves?" Yes I do. Yum Yum. Especially when I am single.

• 2 weeks later...

oenphenile-

I like that saying....

I have mainstreamed my likes and dislikes so much the road is so narrow.....

But, in grace I will get there....the last one did a number on my heart and I trusted him cause he was "Way Corp".

alot to be said and alot to be learned..

oenophile

I like that as well. Ya know the guy I was in liove with and who I thought of all the time, died last June.

As I look at things now, we were madly in love but I do not know if we would have been able to "make a life" together.

Ya know?

Paying bills, raising kids -- I dunno. I think he would have been a cheater and that would have been worse than loosing him all those years ago.

You know I review the forum page....

I scan over this question......

I shout out loud,, HECK YES!

There I finally said it.

The next thing I do is ask myself WHY?

They were a part of my life. the process, that got me where I am today and who I am now.

I sit back, think, and say thank you.

A toast to life. :drink:

Oenophile---I've also heard that our past loves were all broken roads that lead us to the right one. I like that.

I AGREE!

:)

Ok here are the lyrics to that song:

Rascal Flatts - Bless The Broken Road (Lyrics)

I set out on a narrow way many years ago

Hoping I would find true love along the broken road

But I got lost a time or two

Wiped my brow and kept pushing through

I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are

Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through

I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you

But you just smile and take my hand

You've been there you understand

It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are

Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars

Pointing me on my way into your loving arms

This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road

That led me straight to you

Edited by doojable

Do I? Yeah, too much probably. And maybe I blame twi too much. Or maybe not. On second thought, the hell with 'em.

Postcards and letters

And pictures made to last forever

To be boxed up and tossed away

Knick knacks and souvenirs

In an afternoon, they're out of here

They'll disappear without a trace

But what they mean to me

Can never be replaced

I can't unthink about you

I can't unfeel your touch

I can't unhear all the words

Unsay all the things

That used to mean so much

I wish I could unremember

Everything my heart's been through

I'm finding out it's impossible to do

Oh, it's no use

I can't unlove you

Interstates and old songs

Like time they go on and on

I guess I could learn to do the same

I could wake up without you

These two arms not around you

Tell myself it's meant to be this way

No matter how I try

Some things I can't change

I can't unthink about you

I can't unfeel your touch

I can't unhear all the words

Unsay all the things

That used to mean so much

Oh, it's no use

I can't unlove you

Oh, oh, it's no use

I can't unlove you

-Kenny Rogers

I do. I have run into past loves. I've been disappointed, glad I never went down that path, and questionned other paths. I think everyone does that.....especially when reminissing. I think that is normal, to think of, wonder where they are, what your life would be if you'd chosen a different path. Sometimes the "old history" re-occurs, rarely I think", and sometimes it works dynamically. I think that if the path had originally been taken "way back when", it might have turned out differently, not so positive. But the older people get if a path is "reconnected" I think it could possibly have a positive outcome. Kind of like how you have to sew the wild seeds, and then remember reality if that makes sense. (This is all JUST MY opinion).

I guess we all do...

I had a college sweetheart I was crazy about but she fell for another and gave me back my fraternity pin. I was upset about it at the time as you would expect. Over the years, I kept up with her because her brothers were both fellow dentists. Sometimes I would think about "what if we had stayed together and gotten married". I wouldn't have met the girl that had gotten me into TWI. How different my life would have been.

I actually saw her again two years ago at an Ole Miss football game. I had gotten over her years before but running into her unexpectedly was a little un-nerving. She was just like she was then but I hadn't been thinking of her like she really was... I had been thinking of her as being more erudite and sophisticated somehow. My, my how I'm so very glad we DIDN'T get married for so very many reasons.

sudo

Great thread! ! ! !

I have thought of a few over the 20 years of marriage. I did contact my high school girlfriend about 10 years ago. We had lunch and she filled me in on her divorce from the guy she dropped me for. She soon had a boyfriend and she would call and ask me about the things he did (like going out with his friends drinking on the weekends). She considers me an old friend.

She lives 150 miles away in my home town. About a year and a half ago, I was at a dance hall and some visitors from my hometown were there. I overheard them talking about someone I knew and introduced myself. I started asking them about the people I knew. I asked about "her" and one of the ladies said, "Man, she's a golddigger." She'll strip the meat right off the bones of a man and leave him so wounded, he'll never recover."

I was disappointed to hear she had turned out to have this reputation, especially if it were true. But I was thankful that I didn't have to deal with her.