GreaseSpot Cafe

Stuff advertised on TV that actually works

I was at the local supermarket and they had a demonstration of the QuickChopper 2000. Like most of you, I have a deep and abiding suspicion of things like this.

In any event, I stood through the demo and was thoroughly impressed with the product. I bought it and brought it home. However, on the way home, I figured it just COULDN'T work as advertised for ME. . And I was going to be saying to myself, "John, WTF did you buy this thing for??????"

Well, got it home and proceeded to make chicken salad. This is, to my mind, a somewhat labor intensive process. The impressedness (I know it's not a word, but the heck with it icon_razz.gif:P-->) remained intact. Went right through the chicken, onion and most importantly, the celery.

I'm sure this is going to take up residence on our counter, if it does everything else as well.

Does anyone else have similar stories?

The lessons repeat until they are learned.

(Edited to reflect the actual name of the product and catch a typo)

[This message was edited by TheManOfa Thousand ScreenNames on March 15, 2004 at 15:29.]

Edited by Guest

MO 1G s/n's --- Yea. I needed new knives for the kitchen, so late one night, influenced by an infomercial -- I bought some that could "cut granite, and then be sharp enough to slice thru a tomato". NEVER NEEDS SHARPENING -- ( so they said). icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

They were good, but even tho I never hacked at granite, they only lasted for a couple of years.

They were cheaper than if I had bought them in a store, so it was worth it, but just barely! icon_cool.gif

In 1969, when I worked at my first job as a Wells Fargo Bank proof machine operator, #50 First Street, San Francisco, I would watch the blender demo at Kreskge's during my lunch. . . and they would make a strawberry milkshake using beets and other vegetables. . .

and I never found the combination vegetables, including beets, to make a milkshake that tasted like strawberries.

(I am thinking about buying a Jack La Lanne juicer, as advertised on tv.)

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

All of the following bought in stores, not from infomercials (but I got the message from the infomercials initially)

Worked: The Shark steamer, Shark stick vacuum, and Shark sweeper. The steamer does an amazing job eating through dirt and grime -- I use it in the shower stall, the stove, and on the grill. Does great! The vacuum is lightweight and actually gets a good vacuum -- use it in the cars and on stairs. The sweeper does a great job getting up dog hairs and works well on uncarpeted surfaces.

Didn't work: space bags (they worked great, but ripped super easy and sometimes let air back in)

Didn't work well: Foodsaver (it worked great for a little while and then I couldn't ever get a seal for the vacuum pump to work)

Just saw a thing on TV advertising the "MAGIC BULLET". It chops, it blends, it juices, the containers are microwave/dishwasher safe, etc. etc.! icon_cool.gif

The TV demo was impressive (aren't they all! icon_wink.gif;)--> and the product was a mere $100.00 -- for a $400.00 value mind you! icon_smile.gif:)-->

I may actually succumb and get one. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

They can be found at www.buythebullet.com. Note -- that is BUY the bullet, NOT BITE the bullet!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Biting the bullet comes with the S&H charges -- 20 bucks! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Edited by Guest

George's Grills!! They actually work well, I've tried a few different types, and they're good for small cuts of meat, although the top part is a bit hard to clean. Donesn't work on grilled cheese LOL, but works better on most meats than dragging out the broiler or frying pan

Yes those grills I love mine!

I have a small one Im not sure it is a george one but I love it!

I was talking to this lady once she was buying like 30 cans of that spray butter oil stuff . It comes in a can like hair spray and you spray it on cookie sheets and pans instead of wiping grease in them.. I do not know the name brand.. I use the local brand name. Im sure you can buy it everywhere now.

anyways my point is she was buying them for the grills she had bought for people for christmas presents , she said to spray it on the grill when it warms up and the grilled cheese will slide right off!

clean up is a breeze! yep it works well !