GreaseSpot Cafe

Bad Tap Water

Ah, thanks, Waysider.  And there's me wondering why the water has graduate levels in foreign languages. :biglaugh:

The water is hard in this area.  Kettles and suchlike fur up quickly.  Generally it's fine, but once in a while it's like drinking rocks (probably some loosened limescale from the kettle, rather than the water itself).  Nice tasty (or rather, tasteless) water, though.  I always put soda in with my laundry detergent; softens the water, keeps the washing machine in a bit better condition.

The water company in this area has a really good reputation, on many fronts.

3 hours ago, Twinky said:

Ah, thanks, Waysider.  And there's me wondering why the water has graduate levels in foreign languages. :biglaugh:

The water is hard in this area.  Kettles and suchlike fur up quickly.  Generally it's fine, but once in a while it's like drinking rocks (probably some loosened limescale from the kettle, rather than the water itself).  Nice tasty (or rather, tasteless) water, though.  I always put soda in with my laundry detergent; softens the water, keeps the washing machine in a bit better condition.

The water company in this area has a really good reputation, on many fronts.

Yes, you can use soda to make the process more effective. Most people choose not to because of the added step. Also, there are 2 kinds of soda. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), as its name suggests, is most often used in the baking process but can be used for laundry. Washing soda (sodium carbonate), as its name suggests, is very effective for laundry, especially for stain removal. It's stronger than baking soda, so you would do well to investigate its properties before using it.

Most municipal water supplies will have at least some degree of hardness because the most common cleaning processes requires ingredients that leave the water a bit hard, not intentionally, but rather as an unavoidable consequence of the process. It's not realistically feasible to remove the added hardness before sending it out into the supply system.

Edited by waysider
comma placement