GreaseSpot Cafe

Basic Fat Burning Soup

Several days ago I posted about my health in the prayer forum. I needed help I had not yet found.

Help comes in many forms...and usually in an unexpected, surprising form.

My son is going into the Army. He needs to lose about 26 lbs. His recruiter sent my son home with this Basic Fat Burning Soup from Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital (it is used for overweight heart patients to lose weight rapidly, usually before surgery):

Basic Fat Burning Soup

6 large green onions

1 or 2 cans of tomatoes

1 large head of cabbage

2 green peppers

1 bunch of celery

1 pkg Lipton Soup Mix

Cut vegetables in small to medium pieces and cover with water. Boil fast for ten minutes. Turn down to simmer and cook until vegetables are tender.

This soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want. This soup will not add calories. The more you eat, the more you will lose. Fill a thermos in the morning if you will be away during the day. If eaten alone for indefinite periods, you would suffer malnutrition due to the lack of protein and fat needed to sustain the body.* (See later in this post for more information about this)

DAY ONE

All fruits except bananas. Cantaloupe and watermelon are lower in calories than most fruits. Eat only the soup and fruits. For drinks, unsweetened tea, cranberry juice or water.

DAY TWO

All vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed with all the fresh raw or canned vegetables you can eat. Try to eat green leafy veggies and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat the above mentioned vegetables along with he soup. At dinnertime on this day, reward yourself with a big baked potato and butter (salt/pepper optional). Do not eat any fruits.

DAY THREE

Eat all the soup, fruits and veggies you want. Do not have a baked potato. If you have eaten for the last three days as mentioned above and have not cheated, you will have lost 5 to 7 pounds.

DAY FOUR

Bananas and skim milk. Eat as many as three bananas and drink as many glasses of water as you can on this day, along with the soup. Bananas are high in calories and carbohydrates and so is the milk, but on this particular day your body will need the potassium and the carbohydrates, proteins and calcium to lessen your craving for sweets.

DAY FIVE

Beef and tomatoes. You may have 10 to 20 ounces of beef and a can of tomatoes or as many as 6 fresh tomatoes on this day. Try to drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash away the uric acid in your body. Eat the soup at least once this day. (Trim away excess fat from steak.)

DAY SIX

Beef and veggies. Eat at your heart's content all of the beef (steak) and vegetables this day. Stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. You can even have two or three steaks if you like with green leafy vegetables, but no baked potato. Be sure to have the soup at least once today. (Trim away excess fat from steak.)

DAY SEVEN

Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice and vegetables. Again stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to have the soup at least once today.

At the end of the seventh day, if you have not cheated on the above diet, you will have lost 10 to 17 lbs. If you have lost more than 15 lbs, stay off the diet for two days before resuming the diet again for day one.

*The seven-day eating plan can be used as often as you like. As a matter of fact, if correctly followed, it will clean your system of impurities and give a feeling of well-being as never before. After only seven days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter by at least 10 and possibly 17 lbs, having and abundance of energy. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference.

This diet is fat burning and the secret is that you will burn more calories than you take in. It will flush your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being.

This diet does not lend itself to drinking any alcoholic beverages at any time because of the removal of fat build-up in your system. Go off the diet at least 24 hours before any intake of alcohol.

Because everyone's digestive system is different, this diet will affect everyone differently. After day three you will have more energy than when you began if you did not cheat. After being on the diet for several days you will find your bowel movements have changed--eat a cup of bran or fiber. Although you can have black coffee with this diet you may find that you don't need the caffeine after the third day.

DEFINITE NO-NO'S: Bread, alcohol, no carbonated drinks including diet drinks. Stick with water, unsweetened tea, black coffee, unsweetened fruit juices, cranberry juice and skim milk.

The Basic Fat Burning Soup can be eaten anytime you feel hungry. Eat as much as you wish. Remember, the more you eat the more you will lose. No fried foods or bread. You can eat broiled or baked chicken instead of steak (absolutely no skin on the chicken).

Any prescribed medication will not hurt you on this diet. Continue this plan as long as you wish and feel the difference both mentally and physically. If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish (no butter) for the beef on only one of the beef days. You need the high protein in the beef the other days.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING ANY DIET.

Wow -- what a diet! icon_eek.gif

On day five, that 10 to 20 ounces of beef?? Is that for one meal per day, or total intake for the day? If it is for one meal a day try going lower, like 5 or 6 ounces (if that does not interfer with the set up schedule).

The two guys I work with at the home get a total of 3 ounces of meat per meal (lunch and dinner) as their protein.

Maybe 6 ounces a day would enhance your diet, but I don't know for sure. And yes -- we have a small scale at the house where we to measure to exactitude.

Friend of mine in CA had some health problems, and went on a "vegan" diet, set up by some folks who are interested in eating "biblically".

The site for these folks is www.hacres.com

hacres stands for Halleluiah Acres. It is an interesting site, but much too regimented for me.

Only ONE cooked meal a day is allowed under that one, and their idea of a "cooked meal" is a baked potato. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Let's see, cabbage, celery, green peppers, and cranberry juice. Apparently the diet consists of vegetable laxatives and diuretics. There's no miracle behind this. You might lose weight, but only if A) you haven't been on any sort of diet recently, and B) you're not expecting the weight to stay off once you're back on your normal diet. The first 5-10 lbs are easy to lose if you haven't been dieting because you're getting rid of stored glycogen and water instead of fat. As soon as you start back in with normal levels of proteins and carbohydrates, the glycogen will store up again, binding up some water with it. Boom--those 5 pounds will be back in 2-3 days.

The only reason I can think of for hospitals to do this (if any actually practice it) is for immediate pre-surgery weight loss. The day after the patient can eat solid food, he's going to be gaining again.

He might make the cut for reporting in, but going immediately to Basic training, he's going to be at a severe disadvantage with physical activity. The body depends on stored glycogen as on-demand muscle fuel. Fats cannot be utilized quickly enough to replace the glycogen depleted from that diet, so his *** is going to be dragging at a crucial juncture in his training. That won't make his drill sergeant too friendly to him, I'd wager.

Gotta be careful with stuff like this.

Thanks Zixar for your words of wisdom.

I was reading it and thought to myself of the nutrients or lack thereof which will cause more dis-ease in the body. The burden placed on the kidneys, liver, etc.

This does not appear to be very sound thinking. We are wonderfully and awesomely made. The body is designed to do one thing and that is to sustain life. Playing with the body this way will get you results that the body is designed to do. And that includes dis-ease when it is lacking nutrients it needs to do the job.

Just my two cents, though Zixar stated it pretty well.

Each of you have expressed the very same concerns about this diet I have had.

First, this diet is a cleansing diet. Chemically speaking, there is a reason for the way it's done. However, as with any other cleansing diets, this is not to be taken as a way of life without personal adaptation. And the only way to get any beneficial personal adaptation is by working with one's medical team.

Second, this is a quick fix that cannot be used alone.

Losing weight and keeping it off is not a one-trick pony deal.

The reason I posted this at all was to offer up something that may not have been known before.

It's fantastic that there are people here that care enough to sound the warning bells! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Especially since this is an open forum and there are people who will see this and think that this is the cure-all for them.

Thanks, folks! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

If you're ok with counting things like fat/fiber/etc. the weight watchers diet seems to be pretty good. My wife has been on it and consistantly lost weight while we have been eating food we like. Even if you're not wanting to do the actual diet, they have some good pretty healthy recipes that you can get from them.

CW,

Just one more point concerning your son.

IMO,

It would be in your sons best intrerest if he can run 3 miles, before he goes to basic training. And be able to do at least 45 push ups in 2 min and 45 situps in 2 min. If he can't, his time at basic training has the possibility of being misrable.

Also,

make sure he has very good running shoes!! You can't afford to be "cheap" on this issue.

hello cw,

I was on that diet before winter and lost about 25-30 pounds...I am also a diabetic and was able to get off of the pills...it was wonderful for my body...I did gain some back and am trying to get my mind in gear to go back on...want to be buddies on losing weight?

Zshot:

"It would be in your sons best intrerest if he can run 3 miles, before he goes to basic training. And be able to do at least 45 push ups in 2 min and 45 situps in 2 min. If he can't, his time at basic training has the possibility of being misrable."

True.

Our eldest son is at Fort Sill Ok currently, going through bootcamp. He has been on medical hold for the past month. He went in, being able to run 2 miles, etc. But after the gas-chamber, his diaphragm now spasmswhen he breaths hard, so his running stamina dropped to 1.5 miles or so. This past month, he has been running everyday trying to get his running stamina back up. They follow him with an ambulnace, and everytime he collapses they put him on O2. We got a letter yesterday, and he is again out of medical hold and within a company. Had he been able to do a solid 3 mile run before going in, then any stupid reaction to the gas-chamber would not have been such an issue.

A young stud really needs to be in fairly good shape, BEFORE going into the military. Also remember once at bootcamp, you are chattel, the only medical treatment you may recieve will be from medics handing out motrin. Get things fixed first. You will not see an actual M.D. doctor again until after you leave bootcamp.

"Also, make sure he has very good running shoes!! You can't afford to be "cheap" on this issue."

Also true, quality running shoes are very important.

I have ran so much in boots that it has had it's effect on my feet. But then again the Navy does not ever care.

Another surprise to us, was that the Army supplies good shoes. Daniel has had a truly difficult time finding good running shoes, ever since he turned 13 or so. It is just very difficult the find good shoes over a size 15, and by the time a youngsters gets fully grown, full-size shoes are close to impossible to find. But Daniel has reported that the Army has quality running shoes in all sizes up through 18w and 19w.

wow cool waters, I didn't read the whole beginning of your post and completely misunderstood thinking it was for you. I even sent you a private message.....sowwy my bad!!!

Please disregard!!!! Now I feel silly....lol

quote:
Daniel has had a truly difficult time finding good running shoes, ever since he turned 13 or so. It is just very difficult the find good shoes over a size 15, and by the time a youngsters gets fully grown, full-size shoes are close to impossible to find. But Daniel has reported that the Army has quality running shoes in all sizes up through 18w and 19w.

Galen -- What is his (Daniel's) shoe size? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

dmiller:

"Daniel has had a truly difficult time finding good running shoes, ever since he turned 13 or so. It is just very difficult the find good shoes over a size 15, and by the time a youngsters gets fully grown, full-size shoes are close to impossible to find. But Daniel has reported that the Army has quality running shoes in all sizes up through 18w and 19w."

"Galen -- What is his (Daniel's) shoe size? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif"

I dont think his pontoons are over a size 16WW at this time. Since he was about 14, he has had to wear mostly Navy issue boots of mine, because he had such difficulty finding shoes large enough. In Italy he and I searched far and wide for 'civilian' shoes, but the Italian senoritas would just giggle at the American Bambino e' Granda pedo

He said that he has found running shoes and boots in the army in a wide variety of sizes and even with different levels of arch support and pronation. So far it does sound like an entirely different kind of experience than anything available in the Navy.

His only difficulty has been that his diaphragm had a reaction to the tear-gas-chamber, and now when he gets winded his diaphragm goes into muscle-spasms. They revive him with O2 and he is okay. He did just spend a month on medical hold though, while he was getting his stamina up. He reports that he can now run the 2 miles without being winded, so he has been joined back into a company again and planns on graduating 6May. He loved the week playing with rifles and last week was grenades. I think that he is going to be really pleased when he gets to Arizona and can start playing with the radio-control airplanes (aerial re-con drones).

I still can't beleive that in this day, a man can get a job flying radio control airplanes to shoot pictures looking into someone else's backyard.

• 3 years later...

I have a suggestion to the recipe that may help:

Ditch the Lipton Soup mix, it adds unneeded sodium.

Add to the soup three to four baked or roasted skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut up. Or add the meat from an entire rotisserie chicken MINUS THE SKIN. You just have to have more veggies in the soup than meat, but you must have meat.

This adds much needed protein to the soup, which is lacking.

Add some spices-- a little thyme, a little chili powder, some garlic.

You could lessen up on the cabbage, maybe. Add some beef or chicken stock, and green beans. Add carrots, onions, celery, zuchinni & yellow squash, whatever you want, just no starchy veggies like peas, corn, beans, or potatoes.

This is still a low calorie, low fat soup, good to incorporate into a low-fat diet.

I don't know about using the prescribed 7 day program along with this, but I have used this kind of soup mixture for years in order to lose and maintain my weight loss.

You have to be smart about breakfast. Don't skip that meal. Try some sliced mixed fruit with 1/3 cup of cottage cheese, and a slice of raisin toast with margarine. Just be sure to have only one serving of bread at that meal, or any other meal. A HALF of a bagel with margarine, no cream cheese.

The soup can be served over 1/3 cup of cooked rice, but no more than that.

By adding the chicken, you can still eat as much of the soup as you want, because they are all low-carbohydrate vegetables, but this way you are not compromising your protein and causing a cascade of problems you have to do other things to compensate for, which is what the rest of that 7 day program does.

Now, I'm gonna tell you what you don't want to hear. I don't like it, either, but it is a fact of life:

There is no way of getting around the following basics and understanding and accepting that

you have to do the following things for life:

Exercise every day. Do something. Move your body: Walk, swim, bike, jog, something to get your heart rate up. Add weight bearing exercise to build muscle, because muscle helps burn fat.

Watch what you eat. Your intake cannot be more than your exercise output. You have to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight.

Identify and deal with problem foods, problem emotions, and problem people. Identify what foods you can't handle. Manage your environment to keep them out of your reach in order to limit your access to them. Learn what is eating you, before you eat something. Get to the bottom of what you might be medicating with food, and chart out alternative ways of coping. Finally, what people are toxic to you? Do you have people close to you who sabotage you? Who push your buttons? If you can, limit their access to you.

If you can't afford a psychologist, you must be one for yourself.

Be your own best friend. Love yourself, learn to put yourself first when it comes to your weight and what it takes to keep it in balance.

Accept that this is a lifelong battle, which must be fought every day. You will lose the battle some days, and that is ok, as long as you get right back up the next day and carry on. Don't get down and stay down or your weight will bounce back up, and go higher.

Edited by Catcup