GreaseSpot Cafe

Emporia Powerbar Recipe?

I ate the whole thing. I made those honey p-nut butter bars and ate the whole thing. Talk about binge eating.....oooooppps.

I went to the store and bought more ingredence. Boy was that a big mistake. I'm taking a few days off to simmmer the taste and get good and hungry for those bars. I hope there is a support group arund the conor...I'm going to need one. yum!

• 1 year later...

A few recipes from Happy Eating that may be familia :biglaugh: to ya:

I highly recommend using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a food grinder attachment. At Emporia, a huge Hobart mixer was used to make Brawnfood in gargantuan batches, but it was rarely done for the 6th Corps because the mixer was old and the recipe was a big strain on the motor!

Brawnfood

1 cup raw peanuts

1 cup raw rolled oats

1 Tbs. oil or honey

2-2 1/2 cups raisins

Put peanuts through food grinder. Mix with rolled oats and put through grinder again. Next, pour oil or honey over raisins (to keep from sticking to the grinder) and add peanut-oat mixture to raisins. Put it all through the food grinder again. It will be moist enough to press into an 8-inch square Pyrex dish. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. It will keep 1-2 weeks and makes 16 two-inch squares.

Variation: Add any or a combination of the following: nuts (any kind), dried figs, dried apricots (or other fruits) or 3 Tbs. peanut butter.

Sesame Seed Squares

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 cup non-instant powdered milk

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1 cup sesame seeds

Warm honey and peanut butter together. Add dry milk, coconut, and then seeds, mixing well after each addition. Then spread mixture into a 9x9 inch square pan. Refrigerate, then cut into squares. Yields one dozen squares.

Familia

1/2 cup flax seeds

2 cups rolled oats

1 cup granola

1/2 cup toasted wheat germ or bran

1/2 cup brown sesame seeds

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup raw peanuts

1 cup mixed raw nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds)

1 1/2 cups raisins (or dates, prunes, currants, figs)

Mix together first 6 ingredients. Grind the nuts in a mill and add to the mixture. Then mix in raisins or dried fruits. Keep in glass jars in the fridge. Soak familia overnight in a little water before eating in the morning. Only soak the amount that will be eaten the next day. Soaking familia stimulates the action of the enzymes in the raw grains and seeds, which aids in digestion.

When we got the stuff, rather than with water, it was usually served with Fig Pep which can be ordered at the following website: http://www.areclinic.org/CayceCorner/detai...oduct_ID=MH-FIG