GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I don't know about you guys... but I'm thinking this Upton is pretty good...

Nice job by Grandpa out on the mound tonight as well...

Don't forget that Grandpa is still younger than you (or me)! :biglaugh:

And yes, I'm thinking that Upton kid is pretty good... got some awesome wheels. :blink:

gutsy move... no other choice though I guess... hope Balfour doesn't walk one in...

well... a chopper scores the run...

I like these two managers though... and we've had some good games...

I think Longoria kind of panicked there though... looking at the replay, it looks like if he would've just extended and flipped the ball after he was in foul territory, instead of trying to lob it over the runner, he might have had a chance... tough play though...

the Phillies need Ryan Howard to wake up though... and the Rays Longoria

gutsy move... no other choice though I guess... hope Balfour doesn't walk one in...

well... a chopper scores the run...

I like these two managers though... and we've had some good games...

I think Longoria kind of panicked there though... looking at the replay, it looks like if he would've just extended and flipped the ball after he was in foul territory, instead of trying to lob it over the runner, he might have had a chance... tough play though...

the Phillies need Ryan Howard to wake up though... and the Rays Longoria

Yeah it was definitely an unorthodox infield alignment... didn't work, but once they got a guy on third with no outs, the game was all but over... so it was certainly worth a try. I liked it, even though it didn't work.

*&^% --I fell asleep before the end of the game and the sports shows all have college football (?) highlights.

Games that end at 2AM especially World Series games are just plain wrong----

Good for Jamie --for some perspective --when he started pitching professionally, Wierwille was still alive---and half the Rays werent even born..He was 'old' when he pitched for the Red Sox a dozen years ago...I love it when guys like him prove 'conventional wisdom' wrong.

Looks like the Rays reverted to being the DevilRays for a crucial half inning--

Im of the opinion that Upton could be one of those guys who wins 3-4 MVPs in his career.

Hopefully I'll get to see todays game--what time does that start--midnight?

*&^% --I fell asleep before the end of the game and the sports shows all have college football (?) highlights.

Games that end at 2AM especially World Series games are just plain wrong----

Good for Jamie --for some perspective --when he started pitching professionally, Wierwille was still alive---and half the Rays werent even born..He was 'old' when he pitched for the Red Sox a dozen years ago...I love it when guys like him prove 'conventional wisdom' wrong.

Looks like the Rays reverted to being the DevilRays for a crucial half inning--

Im of the opinion that Upton could be one of those guys who wins 3-4 MVPs in his career.

Hopefully I'll get to see todays game--what time does that start--midnight?

The solution to your problem -- Tivo (aka DVR).

It was a very good game.

I bought my TV used around 10 years ago for 40 dollars :biglaugh: --It does the job fine but has none of these techie gizmo's like Tivo or dvr--thankfully I can change the channels which is about as far as i go... or care to go...

what can I say? --Im way behind :)

I finally did see the dribbler to third though (only once-but maybe you dvr tivo guys can check it for me)---

---It looked to me, in my one view, that you have got to let that ball roll foul :asdf: which is where it seemed to be going..

Of course in a high pressure situation like that--thats a LOT of patience to ask for.. even though its couldve been theright play as he wasnt going to have any kind of straight forward play at the plate...

Maybe Im wrong--I'll let you NASA folks re-check it

Edited by mstar1

I agree--just too late for a game to end. Well, a game that doesn't have the Bosox playing anyway.

Poor TB. I am all broken up. Not.

Mstar, make sure your TV is digital--the big change over don't ya know.

I go to alot of Walmart's for my job. Often in the back they have markdowns of floor models or returns that they slowly bring to the floor. I spotted a 36 inch TV for half price. Had it a few years and recently gave it to a family in need of a TV. Too much for us anymore. There are always deals out there if you need to get a new one.

In fact, there is some kind of voucher offered. . . . I think. . . . .

:biglaugh:

Thanks for the insight--Im not worried--Im not a big TV guy except during the season--if by next years changeover I need something new I'm sure I can find some deal to keep me tuned in....

Im having a hard time getting enthused about this World Series---I watched a little last night but kept drifting off to other things as the Phillies lead expanded. It really couldnt keep my attention--(to be fair I had something else unplanned going on at the time..).

Its not over but unless the Rays wake up it looks like the Phillies will be putting up their new banner soon.

Ours came down on Friday as Fenway got buttoned up for winter--it was good year--the finallity is never easy though

1025fenwaybanner_500__1224873069_7887.jpg

yep... the rays have dug themselves a little hole here... the first three games were great... close... tight... then there was last night... I guess these Phillies are pretty good! I'm kinda getting the feeling that maybe the rays shot their wad in the ALCS... they just haven't really played like they were before...

but Kasmir has got to have some good stuff tonight because it is pretty likely that Hammils (sp) will...

Hes being the Kazmir of this year--going deep into the count and missing alot..

Its amazing how fast a hot team can go cold--Pena and Longoria who killed in the ALCS are a combined 0-30 or thereabouts---

(Jinx-double Pena as I type)

ha--Longoria RBI

maybe things are waking up

It looks nasty and cold there....

Hes being the Kazmir of this year--going deep into the count and missing alot..

Its amazing how fast a hot team can go cold--Pena and Longoria who killed in the ALCS are a combined 0-30 or thereabouts---

(Jinx-double Pena as I type)

ha--Longoria RBI

maybe things are waking up

It looks nasty and cold there....

I kept thinking they can't END the WS with a rain shortened 2-1 game.

It was raining pretty steady and I think Buck/McCarver said it was 39 degrees (F). That's just plain miserable.

So, once they finished the half inning after Upton scored the tying run, they did the only thing they could. So, I guess we'll find out when the game resumes... when they resume the game.

Edited by Rocky

this is an interesting set-up . the Rays tie it in the top of the 6th playing in the Great Lakes and now we get to wait a full day for a 2 and a half inning "game". If they do come back to win this series it will make for a great story, although not so great for Phils fans

I know it would have been a terrible way to end a series, but Im way behind apparently--when was the rule change put into effect?

I never ever check up on these things but it -used to be--that a rain game shortened in the middle of an inning would revert to the previous full inning played. It was always that way (at least back in the Taft administration when I played..) which would have given the win to the Phils.

I know it would have been horrible to end it that way--Im just curious about the rule.

This makes it very interesting---the Rays got a little bit of a miracle life here--I cant believe Upton stole second when he had to wade half the way there--I think the Phils better finish em off today---although I'd like to see it go on---Shields and Garza could be tough in Games 6 and 7

Best part with a short game tonight is I dont have to stay up til 2 flippin' am

Well this way we at least have a little baseball history being made. To be honest, the whole thing was kinda a wash(LOL) up until now. This makes it interesting. Taking it day by day? hmmm. Now I am interested in what will happen.

That was a sad picture you posted Mstar--I am already feeling it--I wandered over to the political forum--politics. . . . my fall back adrenaline rush at this time of year. :)

With baseball the heart soars--with politics the teeth grind.

Is it Feburary yet?

With baseball the heart soars--with politics the teeth grind.

That is why Rocky is so amazing...he is active on both.

I bet he uses this thread because he needs the heart after posting in that other place.

Speaking of the World Series, today is one day when the two things I get paid for come together.

Edited by Lifted Up

Test question:

Bases loaded, two out. Batter swings and misses at strike three, but the catcher fails to hold the pitch and the ball pops out and rolls onto the plate. The batter takes off for first base before the catcher can tag him. The Catcher picks the ball up off the plate and throws to first. The ball gets there in plenty of time, but it sails just over the first baseman's reach and down the right field foul line. The right fielder picks it up and throws it in, but not until the runners on second and third have crossed the plate, and the batter and runner originally on first have reached second and third respectively.

What is the correct ruling? I suppose for emphasis I should add that the team at bat was one run down in the bottom of the 9th before the play, but for ruling purposes that doesn't change things, just makes the ruling more critical of course.

Oh, and to remove any doubt, by "pops out", I mean immediately, that is that the catcher does not catch the ball, to remove any question about whether or not he held it long enough.

Edited by Lifted Up

Test question:

Bases loaded, two out. Batter swings and misses at strike three, but the catcher fails to hold the pitch and the ball pops out and rolls onto the plate. The batter takes off for first base before the catcher can tag him. The Catcher picks the ball up off the plate and throws to first. The ball gets there in plenty of time, but it sails just over the first baseman's reach and down the right field foul line. The right fielder picks it up and throws it in, but not until the runners on second and third have crossed the plate, and the batter and runner originally on first have reached second and third respectively.

What is the correct ruling? I suppose for emphasis I should add that the team at bat was one run down in the bottom of the 9th before the play, but for ruling purposes that doesn't change things, just makes the ruling more critical of course.

Oh, and to remove any doubt, by "pops out", I mean immediately, that is that the catcher does not catch the ball, to remove any question about whether or not he held it long enough.

Now I thought that the batter could only take first (in the event he is not thrown out at first) IF the base was OPEN to begin with... IF that IS still true, then it shouldn't matter what happens to the ball when it gets thrown to first base. In which case, the batter is out, and the game is over. Home team loses.

However, IF the batter actually does get to run, he obviously did not get thrown out, the two runs score and the home team wins.

Of course, I may be wrong.

That is why Rocky is so amazing...he is active on both.

I bet he uses this thread because he needs the heart after posting in that other place.

Speaking of the World Series, today is one day when the two things I get paid for come together.

I don't get so worked up any more. I'm obviously still interested and therefore involved in the forum, but it doesn't matter to me if anyone disagrees or agrees with me.

However, I might have issues to deal with once the results are known after the election. :)

I know it would have been a terrible way to end a series, but Im way behind apparently--when was the rule change put into effect?

Buck/McCarver said it was changed -- regarding the WS (and maybe other playoff games) only last winter.

So, if this had happened in any prior WS, the resolution would have been different.

I also heard today that Pope Bud had made a ruling *ex-cathedra* before the game that nine innings was going to played no matter what--(at least according to NPR).

I agree with Rock on the bases loaded third strike dropped call--from my understanding the batter is out if first is occupied--of course if thats not true why does the catcher throw to first anyway when he could step on home for a force since the bases were loaded.

I would assume that the batter was out immediately on the call of strike three and the game is over..if the fielding team then decides to throw the ball all over the place it may raise some excitement but its moot because the game is done, although I wouldnt want to be the umpire who had to explain that to the team that thinks they scored the winning run..

I just got in--are they playing tonight?

The storm from last night is up my way now---Its snowing here!

No Game Today

They'll try again tomorrow-starting in the 6th.

Needless to say, this will fuel the arguments for shorter seasons, warm weather neutral stadiums, instant replays, powers of the commissioner,start of game times, and anything else I've missed.

Of course I have opinions about all of it. I do think starting a game at 8:30 is absurd. How great would a daytime Series game on the weekend be ? Of course between college and pro football competing, it'll never happen-but it should.

No Game Today

They'll try again tomorrow-starting in the 6th.

Needless to say, this will fuel the arguments for shorter seasons, warm weather neutral stadiums, instant replays, powers of the commissioner,start of game times, and anything else I've missed.

Of course I have opinions about all of it. I do think starting a game at 8:30 is absurd. How great would a daytime Series game on the weekend be ? Of course between college and pro football competing, it'll never happen-but it should.

Me too.

At least you guys have West Coast times--There is a whole generation of East Coast kids who grow up never seeing a world series--which is shortsighted of MLB to me...

( I guess I rant about this every year at this time...I must be gettin old....but even if they scheduled a normal ballgame time of 7 or 7:15 would open up a lot of audience

At least you guys have West Coast times--There is a whole generation of East Coast kids who grow up never seeing a world series--which is shortsighted of MLB to me...

( I guess I rant about this every year at this time...I must be gettin old....but even if they scheduled a normal ballgame time of 7 or 7:15 would open up a lot of audience

Well, Mstar... you'd be surprised at how many people have DVRs these days... your concern about the next generation would be valid IF there was no such thing as the DVR...

Test question:

The runner on third base is forced out at the plate and the game is over...Here's why: The dropped third strike rule with first base occupied is applied in the same manner as the infield fly rule,..to protect the offence...With one out or less, a catcher can purposely drop a a third strike and quickly retrieve the ball and turn a double play (second to first)..With two outs, first base being occupied doesn't matter since you can't gain anything by turning two, so a dropped third strike is no longer considered an automatic out with first base occupied...In your scenario, Lifted, with the ball being ON homeplate, the catcher would have had to grab control of the ball while it was touching the plate in order to pick it up and heave it to first...By his having control of the ball while it was touching home plate, the runner on third was automatically forced out and the game is over...All the overthrowing and baserunning became moot...

If you guys noticed, the infield fly ruling was not in effect because of the high wind conditions the other day...Popups were not routine and the infield fly ruling would have had the reverse affect---protecting the defense by giving them an automatic out on a difficult play...