GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

That's a fair and well reasoned analysis (Mstar's , I mean-I don't agree with a lot of Bill James 'abstract'-I'm sure Furcal for instance, is statistically a far superior fielder, but I'll still take Derek any day-maybe I'm naive-but faithful). I agree with much of Mstar's comments, and could argue some of it, but don't really feel a need to.

I'll be the first to say the Yankees need to get younger and more athletic.

I'll be the first to say the Yankees need to get younger and more athletic.

or else switch to umpiring...but there's much dough in that!

The Indians have always had a groom-the-young-starts methodology. Then the ones that make it consistently big wind up going to the Yankees or elsewhere.

Just saw the 'hanging sox' logo. It's pretty neat-but on their caps ??!!

OK, I'm an old fogey traditionalist who thinks there are some teams that shouldn't mess with the uniform. Yankees, Red ( definately not White) Sox, Dodgers, Giants, have all kept the uniforms pretty much intact, and I admit I like it that way.

If the fans around Boston like it, though, then so be it.

Just saw the 'hanging sox' logo. It's pretty neat-but on their caps ??!!

OK, I'm an old fogey traditionalist who thinks there are some teams that shouldn't mess with the uniform. Yankees, Red ( definately not White) Sox, Dodgers, Giants, have all kept the uniforms pretty much intact, and I admit I like it that way.

If the fans around Boston like it, though, then so be it.

OK, now you've reminded me somehow of Charlie Finley and his aptitude for uniform redecorating.

It's more of realization that they need pitching, and going after it with all the money they can.

My personal wish is that baseball had a salary cap, but that will never happen.

Well, looks like they are listening to you! Burnett AND CC---no room for Petite now. They ARE going after some pitching. . . hope the city can pick up the tab!!

Cabrera for Cameron --- Cabrera was better for the money???

The Met's went for the back end with Putz and K-rod. . . . we will see who played it smarter. Either way it is BIG BUCKS!!

Gees ya think?

$246 million for two pitchers? Yikies

So the rotation so far looks like:

Sabathia

Wang

Burnett

Joba

(Hughes)

They're gonna be tough in a short series thats for sure..Yank fans have to be happy--Now--do they go for the trifecta and sign either Sheets or Pettite?

..back end of the Mets bullpen looks scary good---

As far as the uni's go Im with Hiway--you just dont mess with a tradition--at least its only the away unis with a slight change and the (ghastly) alternate shirts which thankfully they ony wear a few times a year (burn em!!) ... The alternate hat with the two socks logo I can sort of live with.---at least the classic home uniforms havent changed--there would be a revolt in NE if they ever changed those.

Its all about marketing and $$--they must have 100 hats on the market and about 50 different styles of shirts already-if they can add in two more 'game shirts' and one more 'game hat' it equals XXX,XXX dollars in sales

Edited by mstar1

Gees ya think?

$246 million for two pitchers? Yikies

They're gonna be tough in a short series thats for sure..Yank fans have to be happy--Now--do they go for the trifecta and sign either Sheets or Pettite?

They would take Sheets if they can get him--anyone would, BUT they seem to be getting away from the older guys--I just don't think they have the confidence in Petite.

Do you think he would ever go to Boston? What are they waiting for? This smells like the old days when the Yankees just bought everyone up and Boston just sat there.

Boston can get by. . . . are they waiting for Texeiria? Not that I would ever hope it--but. . . . consolation is Burnett does get hurt alot.

Burnett for half a year is better than most. . . . Lowe better hurry--as the money is going. . .

The amount is staggering. . . . just staggering.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/news/hot_stove/y2008/index.jsp

And. . . .I wonder if they will baby them until post season?? That might be the plan??

Pending a physical, Kerry Wood to become Indians' closer!

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Cleveland Indians only need a positive note from their doctors to make Kerry Wood their closer.

Wood took a physical on Thursday and the club is awaiting the test results before completing a contract with the free-agent right-hander, who has a long history of arm and elbow problems.

The Indians reached a preliminary agreement on a two-year deal worth a reported $20 million with Wood during the winter meetings in Las Vegas. The contract includes a third-year option.

What are they waiting for? This smells like the old days when the Yankees just bought everyone up and Boston just sat there.

Who knows...This time of the year is just as much of a chess match as during the regular season. Maybe Theo is waiting for the Yanks to do another signing. (Lowe(?, Sheets? Pettite?..I dunno)

No Team can sign more than 3 Type A Free Agents--The Yanks have signed 2 in 2 days, if they do sign someone else, it may drive down the price of other Type A's ( ie Texeira) as the Yanks will be out of the bidding war. theo may be doing a tortoise and the hare type thing...there is still plenty of time left...

I dont know if Pettite would sign with the Sox anymore than Schilling would sign with the Yanks , maybe but unlikely. I'd think Pettite may want to go be with Joe Torre if the Dodgers have an interest.

Ive been working long hours and havent been keeping up, as far as an older guy if John Smoltz is still available-thats a guy I'd love to have for a year as starter insurance--He may be able to be signed to a low base salary with lots of incentives--like Bartolo Colon was last year--Theo always seems to make some deal like that.

Manny must be feeling lonely out there--I havent seen his name mentioned hardly at all...

maybe after what he did to the Sox last year he is scaring some teams off?

Who knows...This time of the year is just as much of a chess match as during the regular season. Maybe Theo is waiting for the Yanks to do another signing. (Lowe(?, Sheets? Pettite?..I dunno)

No Team can sign more than 3 Type A Free Agents--The Yanks have signed 2 in 2 days, if they do sign someone else, it may drive down the price of other Type A's ( ie Texeira) as the Yanks will be out of the bidding war. theo may be doing a tortoise and the hare type thing...there is still plenty of time left...

I dont know if Pettite would sign with the Sox anymore than Schilling would sign with the Yanks , maybe but unlikely. I'd think Pettite may want to go be with Joe Torre if the Dodgers have an interest.

Ive been working long hours and havent been keeping up, as far as an older guy if John Smoltz is still available-thats a guy I'd love to have for a year as starter insurance--He may be able to be signed to a low base salary with lots of incentives--like Bartolo Colon was last year--Theo always seems to make some deal like that.

Manny must be feeling lonely out there--I havent seen his name mentioned hardly at all...

maybe after what he did to the Sox last year he is scaring some teams off?

Schilling's as opinionated as any ballplayer has ever been... he went to the RedSox (partly) because he hated the Yanks. At THIS point, I can't imagine the Yankees wanting him, but he's got all the money he needs anyway, so I think there's only two chances of ol' Curt wearing the PinStripes... and Slim's out of town.

I disagree alot with what Schilling has to say but dont begrudge him the right--he does tons of good charitable work

and although we are miles apart on politics I suspect I'd get along with him if ever given the chance. He's opinionated--well--- so am I.

He's no fool either--the bloody sock game cemented him in New England lore. He knows what that means to RS fans and I think he is smart enough not to have the legacy he left here brought into question by signing for afew months with the Yankees.

Last I heard he was thinking of doing a Roger Clemens type half year deal with snyone who may be interested come June or July--he could be good for the right team down the stretch next year to win a handful of clutch games.

Right now Im concerned about the Sox catching--they just let backup Kevin Cash go, Varitek is a free agent--so at the moment there is NO ONE behind the plate...that doesnt sound good...I dont know if other teams will use that against them and leverage a higher asking price in any catcher deal or not.

In other news that Geisha may like to hear, the grandstand seats at Fenway which have been in place since 1934, and are the smallest in the majors at 17" across are being replaced with 20" seats--that doesnt sound like much , but if you've ever squoze your butt into one of those old seats you 'd know that those extra 3 inches will be welcome---

2686083447_2c8671a313.jpg

$550.00 apiece if anyone needs to know what i want for christmas :biglaugh:

Boy those Yanks are busy!----

Yankess Sign Iraqi Hurler

In their latest bid to beef up their pitching rotation for the 2009 season, the New York Yankees today signed Iraqi journalist Muntadar al-Zeidi to a three-year deal worth $32 million.

The right-handed al-Zeidi, 28, impressed the Yankee scouts with his performance in Baghdad yesterday when he threw both of his shoes at President George W. Bush.

While neither of the shoes hit their target, both throws "had great velocity and good movement," said Yankee owner Hank Steinbrenner.

"The first shoe was high and outside but the second one was right down the middle," Mr. Steinbrenner said.

The Yankee boss said that he was also impressed with Mr. al-Zeidi's fighting spirit when Secret Service agents tackled him.

"That could come in handy when we have a series with Boston," he said.

They are starting to tick me off.

only staring??? :)

Of course, they make some of their bucks from Yankee haters watching their games wanting to see them get knocked off. Maybe like Notre Dame football (or used to be!).

But of course a tru Yankee hater has some compassion...see the essay about Jeter I posted from Chuck Doswell not too long ago.

Well, now that they've got Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi, A-Rod, The Big Unit, Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu, Carl Pavano, Pudge Rodriguez, CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, the Yankees will surely win themselves a World Series!

Like I said. . . . :asdf:

Lifted---I always have had a real soft spot and of course grudging admiration for Mariano Rivera. . . . sometimes not as much as others. . . not when he was shutting us down of course. But, you still have to admire that talent and control.

Jeter? EHHH Not so much.

Well, now that they've got Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi, A-Rod, The Big Unit, Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu, Carl Pavano, Pudge Rodriguez, CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, the Yankees will surely win themselves a World Series!

That was pretty much my point when I suggested it was silly to continue doing the same thing yet expect different results...!

I can't even begin to relate or make sense of the money involved for these players, and fervently wish there was some kind of brake to it all.

As far as the Yankee pitchers-last year they passed on Santana, thinking all their young arms were going to deliver. 2 out of 3 were busts. This year they're breaking the bank instead. There are bad expensive players (Pavano, Giambi,frankly Arod), but I don't see how Sabathia and Burnett are going to hurt the staff.

They'll be fine. My only concern would be that CC could weigh 370 in about 3 or 4 years if he doesnt watch himself so they ought to keep him on a strict regimen and short leash-- and also over the last 2 years he has thrown 500+ innings and gotten burned out by the playoffs. That'll be Girardi's job -- to pace him out down the stretch. We'll have to wait on that-- but I'll be a happy camper if he has him throwing complete games through August and September...

I can't even begin to relate or make sense of the money involved for these players, and fervently wish there was some kind of brake to it all.

Me too --its ----strange for me to even conceive of that much money, and at a time of national crisis when many people are losing everything--its sort of----I dunno---unseemly ---It doesnt seem right at all--But yet--I have the news on--hoping to hear of the signing. I dunno--I wish salaries would come down too--Im proibably part of the problem just because Id love to watch him play