GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

well... I'm a little less kind than you guys, I ain't holdin' my breath that Alex learns anything out of this...

as to how I'm passing my time getting ready for opening day?

1) watched "Pride and Perserverance" on MLBTV... the story of the Negro Leagues and their players. Guys, this is a must see! It'll do your heart good and fill in a lot of blanks for you.

2) watching Ken Burns' "Baseball" (I'm only near the end of "the fourth inning" but man oh man... how it makes me salivate!)

A couple of "old" books I recommend for your enjoyment if you haven't read them: Number 1 the Billy Martin autobiography by BM and Peter Golenback and The Mick about Mickey. It's been years since I read them but they're both great... of course, I'll always suggest Why Time Begins on Opening Day by Thomas Boswell...

Anyway... they report soon!

Edited by Tom Strange

well... I'm a little less kind than you guys, I ain't holdin' my breath that Alex learns anything out of this...

as to how I'm passing my time getting ready for opening day?

1) watched "Pride and Perserverance" on MLBTV... the story of the Negro Leagues and their players. Guys, this is a must see! It'll do your heart good and fill in a lot of blanks for you.

2) watching Ken Burns' "Baseball" (I'm only near the end of "the fourth inning" but man oh man... how it makes me salivate!)

A couple of "old" books I recommend for your enjoyment if you haven't read them: Number 1 the Billy Martin autobiography by BM and Peter Golenback and The Mick about Mickey. It's been years since I read them but they're both great... of course, I'll always suggest Why Time Begins on Opening Day by Thomas Boswell...

Anyway... they report soon!

I have Dish Network and have told them I need to have them pick up the MLB channel...

The pitchers and catchers for some teams report on Saturday (THIS WEEK!). :)

I remember reading Sandy Koufax's autobiography when I was a kid... maybe high school...

I also remember reading Ball Four my senior year in HS. Can you imagine what Bouton would have to write about if he had been playing during the last 15-20 years?

I also remember reading Ball Four my senior year in HS. Can you imagine what Bouton would have to write about if he had been playing during the last 15-20 years?

He's a local in my town and being a very small town I occassionally see him in the coffee shop or downtown. He has his fingers in vintage baseballl now. His last book was a scathing expose of the Pittsfield, Mass town counsel, Foul Ball( :biglaugh:) not exactly earth shattering stuff, but like your old friend Curt Schilling, he's opinionated and still loves to talk anywhere there is an audience. Im surprised that he hasnt jumped on that idea--you may be on to something there Rock.

Speaking of all these books, I just heard yesterday there is a new Manny book out-- Manny Becoming Manny. Its not ghost written by Verducci or some sportswriter type but by a Professor with a PhD in clinical psychology :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I havent seen it yet but knowing the enigma which is Manny Ramirez that could be a fun read

now that I'm a Manny convert, I'll want to read that book.

I heard Jim Bouton speak at the Baseball Reliquary, here in Pasadena a few years ago. He talked about his many 'comebacks', still pitching for Independent leagues well into his 40's. He said he knew it was time to hang it up because he was serving up too many home run pitches to guys named Justin, and Jason.

now that I'm a Manny convert, I'll want to read that book.

I heard Jim Bouton speak at the Baseball Reliquary, here in Pasadena a few years ago. He talked about his many 'comebacks', still pitching for Independent leagues well into his 40's. He said he knew it was time to hang it up because he was serving up too many home run pitches to guys named Justin, and Jason.

I just read that the Angels signed Abreu...

I just read that the Angels signed Abreu...

Dangit! Newberg had this interesting comparison the other day (I just love his random emails)...

Milton Bradley hit .321/.436/.563 in his career year in 2008.

Bobby Abreu hit .296/.371/.471. Just about what he does every year.

Yes, Abreu is 34, while Bradley is 30. But Abreu played in 156 games in 2008, his lowest total in the last eight seasons. Bradley appeared in 126 games – his high in the last four years.

Over those four years, Bradley has hit .299/.394/.510, playing in 358 games. He had eight stints on the disabled list (torn finger ligament, torn tendon in left knee, right knee sprain, left shoulder strain, left hamstring strain, left hamstring strain again, right calf strain, oblique muscle strain) – and that includes no disabled list time with Texas despite an injury-marred second half in 2008.

Abreu: .290/.392/.463, 632 games. No disabled list time.

Stated another way, if age is theoretically a factor in terms of committing to a free agent hitter, then projected health has to be, too, and Abreu’s baseball age has to considered less of a risk than Bradley’s.

Abreu, a left-handed hitter, is reportedly about to sign a one-year, $5 million contract with the Angels. Incentives can apparently kick it higher.

The Cubs – coveting a left-handed-hitting middle-of-the-lineup presence – are giving Bradley $9 million in 2009 ($4 million signing bonus plus $5 million base). They’ve also guaranteed him, despite his health history and an inability to preserve him a bit at designated hitter, $9 million in 2010. He’s also in line to make $12 million in 2011 – though it converts to a club option (with $2 million buyout) if he doesn’t reach certain playing time levels beforehand.

So Bradley, a very good baseball player but a massive health risk, is guaranteed $20 million over two years by a DH-less team. If he stays as healthy as the Cubs need him to, he’ll be guaranteed $30 million over three years.

And Abreu, a very good baseball player, is guaranteed $5 million over one.

Strange, strange winter.

Because I haven't read everything on here I may be posting old news. I heard on PBS two weeks ago that Ken Burns is in the process of making an additional segment titled, "The 10th Inning."

:eusa_clap:

Thanks Kimberly---That could be my new signature line

With all the things to do in this life I dont know if any day will ever get more perfect than that..

Glory Days

:eusa_clap:

Thanks Kimberly---That could be my new signature line

With all the things to do in this life I dont know if any day will ever get more perfect than that..

Glory Days

Make it your new signature line mstar1. We would be honored.

The Angels do have a logjam, but they needed Abreu's bat.

Torii Hunter in center isn't going anywhere. They may decide to dh Guerraro occasionally, though I know he doesn't like dhing. That leaves 3 or 4 guys fighting for left field. Everyone keeps waiting for Juan Rivera to break out-I've yet to be that impressed. You can say good bye to Reggie Willets.

The common them in LA was if the Dodgers don't sign Manny, there's always Abreu, or Adam Dunn. Right.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, with Manny going to the Giants. I have no confidence in Dodger management.

I can understand your frustration. I dont know what the Dodger books look like but you saw the enthusiasm that Manny generated there in just a few short months.

He did it here, he did it in Cleveland and he reenergized the Dodgers and their entire fan base...

Its who he is and what he does---PLUS--he really seems to like it there.

I have no idea what they are waiting for on this one. That enthusiasm is something you cant put a pricetag on...

It really seems like a complete no brainer to me

As much as Ive been singing the praises of Manny for several years, youve been moaning about the Dodgers management...like you---now I see

stRangers pitchers and catchers reported YESTERDAY! (maybe they're trying to get a head start)

...of course, maybe they just show up so early because they miss Rocky and Simon!

that logjam in the Angels outfield could be lightened by GMJ getting popped for roids... no, I haven't heard anything but ya know...

stRangers pitchers and catchers reported YESTERDAY! (maybe they're trying to get a head start)

...of course, maybe they just show up so early because they miss Rocky and Simon!

that logjam in the Angels outfield could be lightened by GMJ getting popped for roids... no, I haven't heard anything but ya know...

Maybe they're hoping to see the President when he comes to town on Wednesday...

Arod couldn't have handled that inquisition worse. Maybe he's not capable of it. I have no sympathy for him, but still shake my head in wonder that there are 103 (!) other players on that list, that don't have to go through it.

let's just play ball, get Manny in a Dodger uniform, and move on, already.

Twins take it. . . 5-2

One down . . . nine to go. . . Mayor's Cup battle begins. . . .

Dustin vs Justin. . . you gotta love it. . . .life is worth living once again!!!

Baseball. . . . spring. . . the crack of the bat. . . I am grinning from ear to ear!!!!!

I feel as if I am starting to awake out of a long long slumber, like Rip Van Winkle.

If I had my way I'd be like a bear fall asleep after the last out of the World Series, start stretching a little just about now and be fully awake by opening day.

In reality its not that far off...

...and the Manny follies continue---I think if I were Ned Colletti I'd call Boras' bluff and tell him thank you very much for the interesting off season, our final offer is good for three more days then will be off the table

Its Time to go or get off the pot.

Turning down 2years/$45 million in this economy?

that would be tough to do..

I was reading an article about the Sox's new Japanese pitcher . . .

My wife caught me bowing repeatedly to the computer . . .

I didn't even realize I was doing it . . .

In a few weeks, you'll be able to smell that smell . . .

maybe it's just hot dogs, I dunno.