GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'll be rooting for your folks down there.

We had afurniture store up here in '04 that promised all sales through the baseball season would be free if the Red Sox won the World Series....oops...Barry and Elliot took quite a hit on that.....

We're at 1-1--Ted Kennedy did a great Monty Burns impression throwing the first pitch of the season about 3 feet after Jim Rice drove him around the field in a golfcart which was just alittle too reminiscent of a scene from Driving Miss Daisy. It was good to see him up and about though...

We have a great new centerfield dead on camera angle that I love for accurate balls and strikes ..Becketts stuff was sick dominating on opening day --which is agreat sign---Things will settle into routine soon....It still a little weird snowing yesterday afternnoon and then watching a game at night----it certainly beats NCIS reruns though

DiceK tonight

hiway29, remember my topic, "Hey Mom." Freezing to near frostbite to watch baseball. It seems here the season goes like this....frost bite, blown off the bleachers by wind, eewwheeww, warm spring days, then the very mext moment frying in the sun, then frying in the sun a lot more for many months ( but that is baseball, thank God) then cool nights after frying days, then cool days and cold nights, then cold days and cold nights.

I know what you are saying....it is like being at a football game when it is 90 degrees.

I remember some years ago a sportscaster during a World Series game talking about one of the teams in the series. The team had complained about it being cold when the season started and the coach said to the effect, you better suck it up because you could be playing in this weather in October.

On a more somber note...a boy who just wanted to play baseball has died. I know you all have heard the terrible news about Adenhart, the rookie pitcher for the Angels. I read that his father went into the empty stadium and stood on the pitcher's mound for several moments and wept. Truly sad.

The Adenhart tragedy is just awful, and has really shook things up here. Let's face it, the surreal aspect of his starting pitching shut out debut, on the same night he was killed , made it a bigger story, than if he was still 'nameless'. Still, everyone is in shock, and the Angels have handled the situation with dignity and class.

His poor father, who just hours ago had watched his son pitch, met with the team, and every Angel spoke with him personally. The Angels are leaving his locker intact for the season, and of course wearing his number on their uniforms.

...still in first place! ...we're all excited that we're still in the race at this stage of the season!

BTW... a local Honda dealer did a promo from March 1-15 that if the stRangers started 4-0 and the NYY started 0-4 your car was free! ...some folks are halfway there!

Yea, but wait till you have to play a half decent team.

Oh well, I have a feeling this start is a sign of things to come. :(

This season has not started well.

Yea

I heard about the fight resulting in a death in the stands at Anaheim, and death threats to Dustin Pedroia's family----as much as I usually do---Im not feeling the enthusiasm of this season yet...maybe its something in the air.....hopefully we'll get past all these things that are either tragic or just wrong and be able to settle into the simplicity of baseball sometime soon without the dark clouds lingering

Orlando Hudson (a great pick up by the Dodgers) hit for the cycle on opening day. This guy has a great attitude, fun to watch, and major ability. The Dodgers got him for a song, due to a recovering wrist injury. He looks healthy to me.

The perfect opening day (of course I was at work) was marred by guns and knives and fights in the parking lot. I rarely go to Giants games-there's always a large contingent of drunken fools when they're in town.

I'd be all for banning beer at games, but I know it's not feasible. If there were some way to limit beer to 1 per customer, it'd be great. Really, no one needs more than one beer to enjoy the game-but I'll stop before I get on a temperance soapbox.

Oy---Guns and knives? TIME OUT

Yea I see drunks and there always seems to be some jackass down the row who has to leave 52 times in 7 innings to grab as many beers as possible and then act like a loud obnoxious idiot throughout parts of the game---and every once in agreat while there is a pushing match-----BUT guns and knives?

at a baseball game?

Damn

I know what you mean--but the profit margin on beer is too high for anyone to think an ethical move will ever be made.

I hope that the WBC gets canned once and for all---DiceK, Mr. WBC MVP had his second straight horrible outing last night giving up 5 in the first--For the life of me I cant see how any team with the investments they make in these players agrees to let them play in those games.....

well the $100million Mr DiceK is on the disabled list now...and the Red Sox are 0-2 in his starts. Maybe it would have happened without the WBC, but having someone throw 100 pitches in "must win" games when they should be pacing themselves to get ready for a season doesnt sound smart at all to me...I'd be very irked if I was Red Sox management

I'm a little more concerned about Lester.

and Beckett getting suspended maybe.

Wakefield had a good outing. Penny seems good. The set up men look good. We're still to see smoltz. Papelbon was crazy in the win last week.

Maybe with Dice-K and Beckett out for awhile the others can grab at opportunity. It could benefit in the long run.

<_< on the Beckett suspension--One got away--even the umpires said that he handled it well. Sciosia complained that he didnt show enough remorse (????) so Watson suspends him for 6 games..Whats he supposed to do hug him?

I hope Lester snaps out of it--there were a few people predicting him for the CY ----is that the kiss of death?

2 shortstops down and the offense is pretty much dead except for Youkilis

anyway --its a rough start, theyre looking more like they'll challenge the Nats at this point than the Rays--- a series where the bats breakout would be nice

yeah I didn't like the timing on that timeout, like freezing the kicker, it's dumb. But I don't know how much control beckett should have had or not. Abreu didn't seem as upset as the rest of the team. Angels won anyway

The AL east standings have been totally inverted: Jays, Os, yanks, rays, sox

I expect the sox to heat up, offense and pitching, a lot, I believe in them. I like the rays too. the yanks are overpaid egos, a weakness. The Os are good. The jays are okay I guess. This is going to be a long, exciting season in this division.

the bats will wake up. I don't see frustration at this point.

Edited by Bolshevik

I know I'll be sorry I asked-but just who are the 'overpaid egos' on the Yankees ? A case can be made for Arod, but who else ? AreTex and Sabatthia 'egos' because they took the money? And who else are you referring to ? Jeter? Rivera ? Cano? Posada ? And what qualifies them as 'egos' ?

I'm already sorry I asked, but I am still curious what people really mean when they say this.

IMO, I don't think the yanks played their cards well by "buying" some good players. They're good, yes. IMO, by handing them all that cash it could inflate their heads to some degree. It could also generate some lax. When you make 10-25 million year to do something your good at, why give 110%? Will some of them live in their own world?

I don't really know. Maybe they will gel as a team and all players will be fueled by the desire to win championships.

But I think at some point, when it comes to paying players, less is more.

I suppose it 'could' happen. That's different than stating that's what they 'are'.

I agree that the Yankees have thrown good money after bad in the past. I don't see the players they got this year that way. I think without them, they'd be playing to beat Toronto for 3rd place. I have no idea how this season will play out. I have as much right to 'believe in them' as anyone else has for their team.

Living on the other coast, I'll be at Dodger Stadium tomorrow. The Dodgers are fun for the first time in ages, with Manny, the young players maturing, and Orlando Hudson. Hudson hit for the cycle the other night, and looks like he's always enjoying himself. This could be a terrific season to be at the park, as long as I can afford it.