GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Which reminds me ----is the guy who threw the potato to third in the Shrine of the Eternals?

He should be.

I got tangled up with my neighbors dog between first and second in little league. Down we both went in the middle of a play.Him yelping and me moaning... I couldve had a triple -I made it to second and was pretty sore from the surprise landing on my face.

Too bad there's no video replay I'd love to see that one again

Edited by mstar1

Small town americana and wooden grandstand baseball parks are a slice of heaven to me. (Of course I live near Los Angeles and sit in Dodger Stadium- though I have to say that somehow, Dodger Stadium manages to feel comfier than any major league park I've been to).

I don't remember well the comfort factor when I was watching the Dodgers play in the Coliseum, as I was a kid and didn't care that much.

hey, I sat in the LA Coliseum last year for the tribute game with the Sox. The single most horrifying sports experience of my life. How the Dodgers played there for so long is beyond me.

I was almost kissing the ground at Dodger Stadium when I got back there.

hey, I sat in the LA Coliseum last year for the tribute game with the Sox. The single most horrifying sports experience of my life. How the Dodgers played there for so long is beyond me.

I was almost kissing the ground at Dodger Stadium when I got back there.

I hear you and believe you. We all get more picky about creature comforts as we get older, don't we?

Damn I love google

LINK.

That game at the Coliseum was hilarious and completely bizarre on TV, I have no idea what it must have been like to be there..The Sox announcers were so far away they couldnt tell what was going on a good portion of the time....

I Love the Quote

In 1988, the Williamsport club held a “Dave Bresnahan Day” and retired his uniform number 59. Bresnahan told the more than 4,000 fans in attendance,

“Lou Gehrig had to play in 2,130 consecutive games and hit .340 for his number to be retired, and all I had to do was bat .140 and throw a potato.”

:biglaugh:

Classic

I did see the replay of that--- the catcher was alittle asleep at the switch.

been working my tail off so I havent seen a game in awhile but I went to Kennesaw Mountain yesterday which is sort of baseballish..In that it reminded me of Judge Landis..

kenesaw-mountain-landis-hof.jpg

well... Lackey got tossed after two pitches today. The first on was behind Kinsler, the second got him in the ribs. The ump almost tore a rotater cuff throwing him out. I think it was really just a case of Lackey just coming off the DL but another part of me wonders... he didn't have any trouble in warm ups... both of the umps behind home plate this series have really been squeezing the pitchers (of both teams), it's like they want to see the ball being hit... so we're up to six in a row and something like 12 out of the last 14...

El Presidente's influence is showing, the starters are going deeper into the game, the bullpen is not so taxed, pitchers are pitching with purpose... it's like a fantasy dream and we're all hoping we don't wake up...

The move of Young to third has worked out quite well... Andrus and Kinsler up the middle have amazing range and provide ridiculous plays at least once or twice a game.

Of course, it's still early but I know that you all understand that stRanger fans must rejoice while they still have a chance!

why was Lackey so intent on hitting the first batter ? This makes no sense.

I haven't been following the story, and don't know if there's 'history' with the players, but why on earth would Lackey come out of the chute throwing at hitters?

It sounds to me like he was still 'rusty'-Big difference between warm up and game pitches.

no reason Texas can't keep going. It still weirds me out that the AL west has only 4 teams.

Ive noticed the Rangers on the highlights the last few days, except instead of it being for scoring a billion runs its for their defense--which must be a welcome change in Rangerville...They'll always score runs but if the defense stays tight and there is no huge holes in the pitching staff they could be there at the end. Its along summer comin up but dont make any plans for October--You just may want to be around

Yes... hope springs eternal every Spring in Arlington and this year is no different except the attitude from the top of the organization has changed. Hicks is still despised but seems to have stepped back and turned everything over to El Presidente Ryan and his conqueror mentality... and it's been aimed directly at the pitching staff. They have a whole new mentality.

It's been said often around here that the stRangers key off season acquisition was not a player but pitching coach Mike Maddox... so far he (and the Ryan mindset) have shown their influence and things are going well. I think they lead MLB (for May) in BA, ERA and fielding percentage (or at least are among the leaders)... and now Josh is back.

I know there's a difference between warm up pitches and live game hiway, but Lackey's a seasoned pro... the whole thing doesn't make sense but is an umpire supposed to ignore that the first pitch was behind Kinsler and the second hit him in the ribs?

Who misses Manny more? the Dodgers or Ortiz?

Edited by Tom Strange

Dont go there--I really dont know what to think :) You'd think with either Youkilis or Bay hitting behind him who are both having great years it wouldnt matter all that much...of course neither is Manny but I think there is more to the picture than that....I can see --everyone can see --that his bat speed has slowed way down. No more shift, no more long strokes to right. If anything popflies to left that might scrape the wall in Fenway for doubles.

I was putting it up to aging slowing the reflexes just a hair, plus the injuries to his wrist and knees over the last few years...the power generation just isnt there.

The sometimes girlfriend brought up the S word yesterday.

Steroids. As much as I hate to admit it, I have to wonder if its apossibility. He doesnt look as big as he was a few years ago, and the power and quickness are gone. When testing started in earnest a few years back is when his production started to slide. Of course I have no way of knowing, and being someone that I respect and care for for what he has done for the franchise I hate to even bring it up....I hope that Im dead wrong but Im not going to deny the possibility either.

Maybe he'll snap out of it--If not Im glad I got to see one of the finest 5 year displays (03-07)of clutch that Ive ever heard of......

I was at the Ravine last night-Dodgers vs Mets-though I would have sworn it was the '62 Mets. I half expected to see Marv Throneberry out there while the Mets made 5 of the more creative errors I've seen in some time. It takes talent to miss third base on a go ahead run in the 9th inning.

I think we saw a bright part of our future tonigh (fingers crossed), a 19 year old lefty named Derrick Holland. He went 5 2/3 tonight which gives him (I think) 13 big league innings... it was his first start and he took a shutout into the 6th, got two quick outs and then a couple of singles and he got a slider up to Berkman and you know what that means... all in all though very promising young kid...

I know we have our running commentaries about Kinsler and Pedroia and how good they each are but I'm telling you this Elvis Andrus kid does not disappoint... three highlight reel plays tonight at short, something he's doing with regularity... and he's carrying a pretty good bat as well (4 hit night)...

you can see some of his plays here

enjoy some good glove work (including a triple play)...

yep... we're still hopeful here... in spite of the freakin' Tigers!

This years inductees into the Shrine of the Eternals, are Steve Dalkowski, Roger Maris, and Jim Eisenreich. Mstar voted for Dalkowski, and I voted for Maris, so I feel like we contributed. Eisenreich got in, probably due to his overcoming Tourettes to play.

The Induction ceremony is on July 19th at the Pasadena Public Library, which I can walk to on a good day, so I'm there. Hopefully Dalkowski, and Eisenreich wil be there to speak. I'm curious who will represent Roger.