GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Cool-

I'll mark the date and hopefully will be able to find some articles--and photos---of course I'll want the live review :)

...and Im liking those Rangers in the West....

..Im not as up and into every single game so far this year as in years past...

must be this darn banjo I bought that is takin up all my time

Rangers are looking good, and I don't see them fading.

I'm in awe of Torii Hunter and the weekend he had in center field at Dodger Stadium. 3 amazing catches on Friday when I was there, and he kept it up all weekend. On Sunday he made another great catch, crashing into the wall and unable to get up for several minutes. His first words were 'I'm playing', and of course, he did.

hey mstar,

I don't know if you saw the game on thursday.

both teams had issues with the umps calls

I missed the top half but in the bottom half of an inning varitek was thrown out for arguing the call, then francona. varitek did it purposely to protect beckett. francona was trying to protect varitek.

I think varitek had already homered once or twice, then he went and took a punch for another.

One reason he wears a "C" I guess.

Edited by Bolshevik

The ump was just up from Triple A and had a real quick hook imo. There was a close play at the plate in the top of the inning and the Minnesota catcher protested when the runner was called safe. Nothing crazy -just a normal reaction and he was gone... When Gardenhire came out of the dugout to protect his player he was barely on the field before he too was tossed.

He was really quick with the trigger in the bottom of the inning tossing Tek and Francona.

4 ejections in one inning? Both catchers and both managers? A little over the top imo..I think that ump may be finding his way back to AAA for a little more "seasoning"

• 2 weeks later...
4 ejections in one inning? Both catchers and both managers? A little over the top imo..I think that ump may be finding his way back to AAA for a little more "seasoning"

Or back down to work with the kids as I do. I have an unusual record for tossing in my 20 years umping.

Starman, what did you think of this year's stRangers? Lester pitched a heck of a game... didn't get to see Sunday's game but it's the first series we've won there in 12 freakin' years... bad news today though... Josh is gonna have to have surgery and will miss 6 to 8 weeks... but the kids have been doing pretty good this year... we're still happy... heck, it's June and we're not out of it!

the phils-sox game last night was a good one. (especially cause of the outcome lol) that's the first time I remember Bard pitching. I guess the sox picked up his brother. the bullpen seams to be the tilt.

I can't wait for tonight and tomorrow's games.

Ive been sort of lax around here this year being busy on many fronts and not getting achance to see as many games as normal.

I did catch last nights game against the Phils -- Lester is being back to the Jon Lester that I know (wowzah) and anytime you can pull in arookie in the 12th thats throwing 99+ Im all for it. There has been a few skips in the bullpen this week but all in all they look like the best RS bullpen that I have ever seen.

John Smoltz is ready to go, and Clay Buchholz came within afew outs of a perfect game in AAA a few weeks ago--where are they gonna put these guys??? Will the $100Million doolar DiceK get sent down? :biglaugh:

A very pleasant predicament for sure.

I honestly didnt get to see much of the Ranger series last weekend StrangeOne I was visiting the new WackyFunster Off The Grid Farm in the mountains --No TV, No Radio, No Cell Phones, No Computers...and no baseball --a nice river runs through it though and a great piece of land and place....

From what I do know I dont see any reason at this point why the Rangers cant be there at the end ( does anyone still remember the Rays of last year? :wink2: ) I love the fact that the stRangers are placing more emphasis on defense -its showing in their record. As long as they stay fairly consistant, dont have any long losing streaks, and play together and maybe tweak the lineup if needed at the trade deadline --they look like they very well could be in good position for October baseball from here

:) :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Cool!

Good job Mom!

what position does he like to play?

He doesn't really have a preference yet for what position he likes to play. They rotate the players around so that they can try out different infield and outfield positions.

Funny story:

Kris' first game, he was playing 3rd base and there was a kid on 2nd base. The batter hit a big pop fly and Kris caught it - got one of those "Holy CRAP! I GOT IT!" looks that kids get when they surprise themselves.

Anyhow, the kid on 2nd made a run for 3rd. Kris went to tag 3rd, tripped, and (you guess it) - dropped the ball.

The runner was declared safe of 3rd. And Kris was livid!

In the true fashion of his old woman (me!) he turned around and started arguing with the coach who called the safe.

Of course the coach didn't take anything off him and I wanted to hide under the bleachers at the time but still... Tenacious little guy!

Alright Gabe!!!

What an interesting career he had made for himself. Two years ago he took a year off to manage in A Ball, about 5 years ago he took a year in Japan because he said he wanted his family to experience that culture.

Kapler always seems to be making the most of his big league years. I like him and wish him well.

...........The Red Sox are moving to a 6 man rotation next week when John Smoltz will be put in, hopefully it will help out DiceK who because of the WBC setback is still pitching at a spring training level.

Plus No hit Clay Buchholz is tearing up AAA and is getting antsy about being called up--I sort of doubt we'll see a 7 man rotation (!?!?!) -but the horses are definitely there to do it, plus the bullpen has been near lights out from the 7th on.

Nobody is complaining about "O No we have too much pitching" :biglaugh:

I gotta ask Geisha (or anyone else who watches) what she thinks of Eckersley as the color man replacing Remy. Hes growing on me after umpteen years of Remy but... He cracks me up with the baseball lingo. I heard something like this afew days ago which is a typical Dennis Eckersley sentence

"He's sitting on Red, and Shields wants to dish cheese. He's looking paint, but throws a piece of tight cheddar down the middle and Bay goes Johnson. Of course, Shields would rather it be a solo Johnson but Bay is locked right now given the hump"

wha?-- :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I do miss Rem Dog. Hope he makes it back.

But, how did we end up with Eckersley? what's the connection?

goodness, I had his baseball card when I was in like, first grade. played for the Oakland As I think.

Eck pitched for the Sox in the 70's and early 80's and had some great years--then after bouncing around a bit and some GREAT years in Oakland where he basically defined the modern closer role-he finished his career with Boston as well.

He was always well liked and remebered in Boston and although his monumental years were in Oakland and he played other places-He freely says that he always loved it in Boston and settled here after his career. The fans always remembered and liked him too...I guess it was natural for NESN to offer him a job when he retired and made the Hall of Fame.

Hes been doing commentary for NESN off and on for a few years, --when Remy unexpectedly needed recovery time and they needed to scramble to find someone to do color, he sort of defaulted into the job.

Its been interesting listening to him get used to it and adjusting , his pitching insights are excellent if you can translate the lingo to english

(He's rambling about "sinkage on the light cheese" right now as I type :biglaugh:) He is getting better as I get used to him.

Edited by mstar1

I gotta ask Geisha (or anyone else who watches) what she thinks of Eckersley as the color man replacing Remy. Hes growing on me after umpteen years of Remy but... He cracks me up with the baseball lingo. I heard something like this afew days ago which is a typical Dennis Eckersley sentence

"He's sitting on Red, and Shields wants to dish cheese. He's looking paint, but throws a piece of tight cheddar down the middle and Bay goes Johnson. Of course, Shields would rather it be a solo Johnson but Bay is locked right now given the hump"

wha?-- :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Eck get's my vote for his comment last year when DiceK went 19-3. . . "Everytime I watch this guy pitch I want to throw up" In all seriousness, a hall of fame pitcher doing the color is hard to beat.

Especially in the middle of a pennant race! I like it with a team as deep in pitching as the Sox. I would like his opinion on Smoltz/Penny/Masterson.

Beside's I always thought he was easy on the eyes. :) That mustache. . . classic 70's.

I say Wakey starts the All Star game.

Edited by geisha779

Eck must be a gas to listen to... they played a little of the BoSox audio when the stRangers were there... we have Tom Grieve as our color guy and he's so laid back and insightful.. everyone loves him... he brings several levels of knowledge to the booth, he was a player here when they moved from D.C. and then he went on to be the GM as well...

I gotta tell you (this may sound sappy) but last year's team comraderie has carried over... I know they're not the Sox or the Angels or the Yankees but I can't help but love this team and cheer for them... they are so happy for each other, they seem to genuinely care so much about each other... the older guys always playing the big brother and helping the younger guys... there's no jealousy among them... they only care for each other. At least it seems that way...

Tonight Pudge set the record by passing the original Pudge for games caught and he did it here, Visquel tied the record for most MLB hits by a Dominican... Visquel has been great... he's always working with Kinsler and Andrus on little things...

Of course they were very happy tonight winning in the bottom of the 10th... their happiness for each other is contagious. It's June and we're still not out of it... life's good.

That makes the game so much more enjoyable--I remember the 25 guys/25 cabs days of the Red Sox, always some squabblin going on between someone and it was a real chore at times to get excited about those teams. If they got 20-25,000 to a game it was an accomplishment. Last night was consecutive sellout number 500 -Its oversimplified I know but ANYONE playing MLB and making what they make should be happy and enjoying every second of it. Enjoy it down in Tejas-thats what baseball is for...

I say Wakey starts the All Star game.

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Now thats something I could get behind- and something deserving to a great ballplayer....

we should start a movement on that.---sign me up!

Eck get's my vote for his comment last year when DiceK went 19-3. . . "Everytime I watch this guy pitch I want to throw up"

FWIW-I heard they were showing DiceK games at Gitmo until the UN Humans Rights folks stepped in and called it too torturous and inhumane for human viewing :biglaugh::wink2:

And I agree , I joke, and Eckersley does cause me to break out laughing several times a game but his insights especially on pitching are great to listen to...

I'll agree pitchin's pretty good --8 starters ready to go (Smoltz, Buchholz and Bowden ... and even Masterson (making 9) all probably would be starting elsewhere ) and the best bullpen Ive ever seen .....what does one do with this embarrassment of riches?

Edited by mstar1

here's a thread for us all to give our thoughts on our hopes and dreams, thoughts and schemes for each of our teams...

... I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between...

I would like to see the Cubs finally win a world series in my lifetime just for them to overcome "the jinx" but I really love watching Pujols and the Cardinals. The Cardinals are so exciting to watch they are awesome. And of course I have to love the Yankees in the AL. What happened to the Yankees? They were kickin butt with A Rod back but now I just noticed they have slipped!! (4 games behind Boston as of 6/23/09 late afternoon).

Welcome to the baseball joint, tagalong, and I have to admit it's nice to have someone who doesn't hate the Yankees here. The Yankees always slip, even in their best years.Just when I give them up for dead, they run off 10 wins-except when they don't-and that's baseball.

It's been quiet in here, lately, but I'm sure that will change. The very mention of the Yankees may bring out the Red Sox fan contingent.I haven't had much to say lately, which seems odd, since I live in LA and follow the Dodgers, who have suddenly turned into the best team in baseball, even without Manny. In fact, when Manny comes back, they'll be sitting Juan Pierre down, who's only been their mvp for the last 2 months. I'd be sitting Kemp and keeping Pierre in the line up, but they're not going that way, and I wonder what will happen. The Dodgers are already a lock in the NL Worst, and I'm already sick of all their announcers (EXCEPT for Vin Scully-may he live forever). The other announcers are crowing so much about the wonderfulness of everything Dodger, I can't listen to it. But that's another topic.

Welcome to the baseball joint, tagalong, and I have to admit it's nice to have someone who doesn't hate the Yankees here. The Yankees always slip, even in their best years.Just when I give them up for dead, they run off 10 wins-except when they don't-and that's baseball.

Hiway,

I have restrained myself in consideration of the lone Yankee's fan here----you! LOL . . . . I don't use the apt term "Evil Empire" anymore. . .

I stop myself from hi-fiving Mstar every 5 minutes and have on a rare occasion allowed the grudging respect I sometimes have for the Yankees to rise beyond the seething resentment that lurks so close to the surface.

How much is enough??? Now there are TWO of you?!!! smile.gifsmile.gif I am joking you know. but, misery does love company. Again. . . a joke. . . it is the Boston in me. . . I can't help it it just comes out!

Why . . . . . I have even kept one eye on the stRangers this season. . . pretty awesome team BTW!!

Seeing the Cubs win would be amazing, but a "jinx" and a "curse" lifted in the same lifetime? I don't know. . . when is the next eclipse?