GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I dont know how to upload photos directly to here..

I upload mine to photobucket.com then link them direct.It took me a few minutes for me to figure it out the first time but it wasnt that hard...and for Bill Veecks leg it would be worth it!

Cooly story about Strasberg...and very much in line with the idea of the shrine--thanks for that

another Andy Strasberg item. When Billy Crystal made '61', he told Andy he could do a cameo for the scene when Roger hits #61. Billy asked him him if he'd like to play an umpire. Andy opted for another role. There was one fan that came out of the stands to shake Roger's hand as he headed for the dugout that day. Andy said he wanted to play that fan-so if you ever watch '61'-that's Andy Strasberg shaking 'Roger's hand.

I'll work on uploading the leg. It is worth seeing.

man... I've been "away" too long... at first I wondered if I was in the right place (from the looks of things) but then I saw you guys and knew it was OK...

IMO BoSox don't need to waste all their young talent on Halliday... I don't really know of anyone who should. The Sox have all of the pitching they're going to need.

If the Jays want to move him they should just take some cash... the fans around here (for the most part) don't want to do a deal that would cost that many youngsters, especially if there's little chance of him staying after next year... and we've got all of the "spare" parts that they want...

Starman... I know you can't be feeling too great right now (last out just happened) but do you see what I'm talking about with the stRangers? Even when they forgot how to hit in June they're a real pleasure to watch... fun even!

And if you were expecting the same looking team as last year... weren't you pleasantly surprised? Last night was probably the best game, in all facets, they've played all year... and they sure picked the right time to do it... even with everyone having the flu...

How do you get to the next page here?

very neat stuff about Strasburg hiway... very cool... I like to learn about stuff like that...

Mstar

Did you see Papi's bat shatter(I love that). . . top of the 3rd tonight? What an inning. . . now 5-2. . . LOVE the chest bumping. . . . I turned away. . . .was Geren thrown out? I heard "Rookie Ump"?? I guess they will talk about it. . . one ear is on the Twins. . . eyes are on the Sox. . . fun night.

Now it's coming out that Manny and Ortiz failed drug tests in '03.

Any way we can just take the last 15 seasons and say they didn't count ? Erase McGuire, Sosa, Bonds, championships (Sox AND Yankees ) I didn't think so.

I'm oddly not really enjoying this season that much. Can't explain. Part of me-a big part-just doesn't give a cr*p who wins. In a lot of ways, it was much more pleasureable going to Dodger Stadium while they were building. Now expectations are through the roof, announcers and fans are smug as can be, and I'd swear the beer consumption has doubled at games, which leads to all sorts of fun.

Yeah, I'm a cranky old sob. I'm tired of 'sides' in politics, sports, countries, domestic spats. I only have so much time left on this planet, and I'd really like to mellow out a little. I like relaxing with baseball, not feeling like I'm in a war.

I did enjoy holding Bill Veeck's wooden leg, though.

Im still waiting on that picture which does sound cool ---and more or less feeling the same way---I dont know what it is---Im much busier than normal this year which could be it or maybe IM having an off year as a fan...I too enjoyed the climb uphill for many years and living on every pitch--This year Im sort of taking it or leaving it way more than normal so far...

It would be interesting to hear about this so called list--Nomar just gave an interesting interview saying that he knew players that skipped the tests in 2003 so that a NUMBER, (not a name) would be posted to the list so that testing would eventually be manditory.

According to him there are only numbers on the list,no names, and if the tests reached a certain percentage of ML'ers then testing would become manditory

I dunno--whatever---i am tired of the whole thing----It is odd that a list sealed by a judge would be leaked. I wouldnt want to be the lawyer who leaked it -that cant be good...

I think the baseball malaise has something to do with this summer. It has been weird. I didn't even bother putting my light jackets away. . . . BUT, I decided to get into it. I have been, for the sake of marital harmony, watching the Red Sox on TV. . . volume on mute. . . and listening to the Twins on MLB audio. I love those live feeds that pop up.

The drug thing. . . I am not going to let it ruin my obsession. I was. . . it really gets to me, but no more. . . I love baseball. . .it is one of the healing and good things in life!!

Summer will be over. . . baseball gone soon enough. . . although I have had to kinda push myself into it. . . I am now loving it. Trade deadline today. Stuff going on. . . but kinda different. . . no real OHS!!

Papi's response to the positive was pretty classy though. . .

think the baseball malaise has something to do with this summer. It has been weird. I didn't even bother putting my light jackets away. . . .

True enough..its like the year without a summer around here--We have floods today, the local paper this morning had pics the Pittsfield team kayaking around the outfield :biglaugh: --sort of tough to get in the mood.

BUT, I decided to get into it. I have been, for the sake of marital harmony, watching the Red Sox on TV.

:biglaugh: My grandmother said she saved her marriage in 30's by becoming a Red Sox fan--interesting how much baseball can be an underlying aspect of peoples lives...

Some friends in a mixed marriage (She a Red Sox fan-He a Yankees fan) had a boy-child last week. They are good folks but the subject that has caused the most friction is whether to decorate his room with Red Sox stuff or Yankees stuff. Two very level headed, kind, big hearted, intelligent people who get along very well and are together on just about everything else have actually had a row about this...and he barely has his eyes open yet

We'll see how that works out

Martinez is looking good today --so far he is 5 for 6 and could have been 6 for 6 if it wasnt for a good catch by Nick Markakis. Odd game at 17-10 in the 8th...He sets up different behind the plate than Varitek--I dont know if thats why the Sox gave up about a hundred walks today or not (probably not) --The plus side in his first time catching he got to see most of the pitching staff in game situations.

It all worked out better than I could have imagined. The last two years I was ready to trade a young arm to Tom's stRangers for Taylor Teagarden--Instead Theo gave up a good young arm for an all-star, which I suppose is why Im not the GM.

I liked Justin Masterson a lot-but I think its a plus trade for both teams..I wish him well in Cleveland.

Meanwhile this could be a very important week in the AL East as the contenders (Sox, Yanks, Rays)all play each other

I found myself lucky enough to be at Camden Yards on Saturday. Nice Stadium. Didn't know Ruth was born nearby.

Got to be part of the welcome for v. martinez in his sox debut. In the ninth we snuck down to the front row behind the Os dugout to watch bard. That was awesome. Sox fans really do take over baltimore. :biglaugh:

Heidi Whatney looks good in person (err, from about 150 feet) too. :biglaugh:

saw a dude in a Boston Braves outfit. I'd heard of those fans but didn't know if they still existed.

Cool you got over there---- since you're in the neighborhood --its only another 8 hours up to Fenway :)

It was good to see Victor get a standing O at Camden

At times I feel for the O's fans who not only get overaken by Sox fans but Yanks fans as well....They get upset about it... A few years ago they had a "Take Back The Stadium Day" at Camden Yards in a game against the Sox....only to be greeted with a giant sign that said "Fenway South Welcomes O's Fans" :beer:

Glad you go to see Heidi--shes OK, but Im still ticked at her for her fling with Varitek that sent him into the pooper last year----My personal tastes run more to Amalie Benjamin-she could have the entire pre and post game shows as far as Im concerned and I'd be a very happy camper--whether she said anything or she didnt

Well Heidi is here, http://www.sidelinehotties.com/ but Amalie ain't that I can find.

but if she's a 'Tek distracting gold-digger, her stock just dropped with me. :biglaugh:

I think the Victor Martinez trade is great. Lowell and Tek are beloved but the lineup and field needed Martinez. I would have rather seen Bucholz go than Masterson but Clay just doesn't seen to be settling into the majors well just yet. Maybe make him middle relief for awhile? Masterson was reliable, good luck to him too.

The uh, "Texiera deal", was starting to look pretty damn good for the Yankess over the Sox. I think Martinez can make up for that.

Well Heidi is here, http://www.sidelinehotties.com/ but Amalie ain't that I can find.

but if she's a 'Tek distracting gold-digger, her stock just dropped with me. :biglaugh:

I think the Victor Martinez trade is great. Lowell and Tek are beloved but the lineup and field needed Martinez. I would have rather seen Bucholz go than Masterson but Clay just doesn't seen to be settling into the majors well just yet. Maybe make him middle relief for awhile? Masterson was reliable, good luck to him too.

The uh, "Texiera deal", was starting to look pretty damn good for the Yankess over the Sox. I think Martinez can make up for that.

I like the Texiera deal-just thought I'd throw that in

I was just checking stats and found that Daniel Bard faced 46 batters in July, struckout 23, with 0 walks---I dont know if that is some sort of record (23 out of 46???--50% K rate with no walks??)--but its pretty darn good in my book...

settling in for Lester against Garza tonight

AC on, Corona chilled

and just because

one more of Amalie for you Bolsh

Amalie_Benjamin3.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Wake and Dice K are both DL'ed--although DiceK is supposedly throwing---I havent heard anything about Wakefield

The Smoltz experiment was over for me a month or so ago--Smoltz games are the ones that I cant bear to watch..nothing makes me think "Oh NO!" more than knowing its Smoltz day--its time for him to retire while his dignity is intact

Smoltz and Traber designated for assignment. I think Traber pitched last night, don't think I'd seen him before.

Tazawa(sp?) the 22-year-old from Japan is coming up. I thought we'd have to wait until next year for him, but maybe not.

Action had been taken. I feel slightly better. :)

it had to be taken--although Billy Traber showed potential---

I couldnt bear to watch tonight--I optted to stay at work----Im still at work at 11:30

If its a loss tonight--stick a fork in em they're done---if Beckett was Beckett and someone else somehow caught fire besides Pedey and Youk---well-----we'll see--maybe there's hope yet...