GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

If you ever figure out the formula for that mystical elusive factor that makes 25 players into one real teams please let me know. I still dont know exactly what makes it happen--but when it does-it can be almost like something magical.

I'll take 50 cases please..

:biglaugh:

I am definitely ready for the Marco Scutaro era to begin!!!!

This is one SS who probably won't get the glare. . . . should be the best since Nomar. :) With the quality of pitching they won't have to worry about losing J. Bay . . . or "whatever" with PAPI. . . . . . we should do good with those close. . . one run games! Counting on Youk for some power!

The defense should be improved with Scutaro, Beltre, Cameron, a full season of Victor Martinez behind the plate and Ellsbury moving to left--With the pitching it should be a very good team as far as run prevention...

Theres not a lot of power in there (at least on paper)Youk could step up, Papi could comeback. Im thinking if its a problem they trade at the deadline for Prince Fielder or someone.

Im looking forward to my first look at Lackey...

I'm not that familiar with the range of Ellsbury's abilities, but if he's like a lot of players, he might not be able to bunt very well.

I grew up listening to Phil Rizzuto rag on the inability of modern players to bunt. He was especially adept at it, and would just groan as he watched players fail to execute. On paper, it seems 'easy'-the concept being kind of like 'catching' the ball with the bat. I've wondered why any player can catch a pitch with a glove, but be unable to do the same with a bat.

dear god I can't wait to sign the boys up for little league . . . it's been awhile . . . aren't there some additional factors when bunting? you gotta angle the bat just right and spin is a bigger deal than when catching?

and i forget, I think I would always pull that bat in too close, instead of holding it steady out there.

Ellsbury is a pretty good hitter but his main asset is his completely blinding speed...I even remember a story a few years ago about him bunting daily into a hat during BP. Its just not something that he does during game situations which I dont really understand. If he was nearly as good as the article I read it would be nearly a gimme every time-he is just too quick...I really dont know why the RedSox dont utilize that more.

I agree with you and Rizzuto about modern bunting--what was once an artform is too often pathetic or poorly executed now.Its surprising to me. These guys are pros after all, I would think that it could be something that could be learned..with 100's of millions invested every year would training hitters to bunt properly actually take all that much more time and energy?

Ellsbury is a pretty good hitter but his main asset is his completely blinding speed...I even remember a story a few years ago about him bunting daily into a hat during BP. Its just not something that he does during game situations which I dont really understand. If he was nearly as good as the article I read it would be nearly a gimme every time-he is just too quick...I really dont know why the RedSox dont utilize that more.

I agree with you and Rizzuto about modern bunting--what was once an artform is too often pathetic or poorly executed now.Its surprising to me. These guys are pros after all, I would think that it could be something that could be learned..with 100's of millions invested every year would training hitters to bunt properly actually take all that much more time and energy?

I see Nomar retired. A great player, who's career was cut short by injuries.

The Hall of Fame debates will happen soon. My take is he and Don Mattingly are 2 'no brainers' who won't make it due to injury. I'm not sure that is quite fair. Both players were above and beyond most of their peers, and to my thinking, earned their place. Longevity is great for piling up stats, but there are other criteria (see Roger Maris ) that should outweigh time served.

During his tenure here -He WAS the franchise and imo the most exciting player in baseball for at least some of those years. Its odd how things turn out--at one point I thought for sure that he was a first ballot hall of famer and maybe the next .400 hitter.

The fidgeting--pulling the gloves, the toetaps--and a first pitch( no matter where it was)hard hit line drive going somewhere is forever etched in my mind---He was just as electric in the field with that twirling odd crossbody throw on a full run.

It was an honor to watch him play.

I am totally with you on the Hall Of Fame---longevity should not be the only criteria. Not only was he exciting but Nomar also had a hand in changing the game... I suppose Cal Ripken lead the way, but when Nomar, Jeter and ARod all came up at the same time the idea of a shortstop imo changed forever...

It used to be Maury Wills, Luis Aparicio, Mark Belanger types--good defense, usually slaphitters and any offense was a considered a bonus. Shortstops just did not dominate the lineup very often-until those three arrived. Then the possibilities of the position became different....

Whether anyone else remembers or honors him will be the subject of a lot of debate--but I know that I will and I wll never forget that for a few short years I saw someone play baseball the way the gods meant it to be played

Ya'll may remember my post last March about the gifted player on the highschool team that was let go because of skipping school and smoking pot. He messed up for quite a while. Coach told him late fall that if you decide you want to play baseball there is a spot for you because I believe in you.

Seems that was all this SS needed to hear. He is back on the team. He tells the other players he really messed up and they don't want to go down that road. I was looking at him at the game the other night. He looked so happy, as a boy playing baseball should.

I've not been feeling the usual anticipation for spring training and the new season, and wondered if it's just old age setting in.

Then I picked up "Willie Mays, the life, the legend", and am loving every page.

Then I happened upon "Field of Dreams" while channel flipping, and it couldn't have come at a better time. IMO the best baseball movie (fictional) ever made.

Now I'm ready-Play Ball.

I've not been feeling the usual anticipation for spring training and the new season, and wondered if it's just old age setting in.

. . .

You're out near LA? I don't really know what the weather is like there, but maybe the anticipation of springtime is a lighter than up north?

When it never really is winter (though it gets ALOT colder at night here, than any one believes), that first day of spring awesomeness isn't quite the same. I don't miss New England winter, but I sure do remember that amazing first day of thaw, and the first sounds of baseball.

I just needed to get back to the basics to get ready for the season, and that book and movie were just what I needed.

Then my wife comes home with field level seats right near home plate, when the Yankees come to Dodger Stadium this year. Yes, I'm ready for baseball.

. . . when the Yankees come to Dodger Stadium this year. Yes, I'm ready for baseball.

there's a treat for you I see, he he. I know they played against each other in a number of WS, have they played in inter-league recently?

I think the ALEast played the NL West in about 04 but maybe Im wrong on that....I know the Sox played the Dodgers that year at home anyway..

Then my wife comes home with field level seats right near home plate, when the Yankees come to Dodger Stadium this year. Yes, I'm ready for baseball.
:)

Im pretty sure Hiways inner 12 year old is going bonkers on that one :biglaugh:

We're getting our first spring days---the doors and windows are open and the winter grumpiness is starting to turn to a lot more smiles---Im looking forward to when Manny comes back to Fenway in June

I forget the year-it may have been '04, when the Yankees last played at Dodger Stadium. I know I was there, and I know the Yanks did their usual west coast tank.

Who knows when there will ever be a Dodgers-Yankees series again, so this is as close to renewing the old rivalry as it's going to get.

Course, I usually get to Anaheim, when NY comes to town, which has become pretty heated itself. Funny how the Angels have intense rivalries with both the Yanks and the Red Sox. The conventional thinking out here is that ESPN throws all their coverage and respect to the northeast, while pretty much ignoring the Angels. I can't disagree with that.

The conventional thinking out here is that ESPN throws all their coverage and respect to the northeast, while pretty much ignoring the Angels. I can't disagree with that.

I can agree with that--and I know ESPN milks the NY/RedSox golden goose for all its worth(way too much) but I also wonder if its a timing thing in there somewhere

West Coast games are tough to watch and follow on the East Coast since they dont start until 10 or 10:30. No doubt I know the Angels are annually one of the forces of the AL but normally Im watching the days highlights and getting ready for bed before they even play-next day its the same situation--and over and over--so I never really get that connected to them and what they are doing day to day...Even during a Red Sox westcoast swing that I really want to see I'm more often than not nodding off by the 3rd or 4th.

I know they are almost always good and important games but the heated rivalry (on this side anyway) amongst the fan base doesnt takeoff because not too many stay up until 1:30am to watch every game.

Thats my take anyway--partly anyway its a matter of practical logistics--maybe Im wrong

I dont know what they could do other than move back their start time occasionally so we could actually get to watch them play back here once in awhile but that would probably just tick off the west coasters yet more---so ---I dont know /shrugs

When I was a lad, I enjoyed watching those late games from California on my grainy b&w TV. There's was something about watching games late at night, with that big A out in the parking lot, and those halo caps, that seemed other worldly.I understand the time zone disconnect.

I liked it too--Jim Fregosi, Bobby Knoop, Don Mincher, Roger Repoz et al. It was an adventure going that far into the deep of night back then ---a little bit spooky and special ---and I did like those halo hats they were cool lookin to me--------but Im about 750 years old now--and get really grumpy like an old toad if i dont go to bed when my body commands me too

When I was a lad, I enjoyed watching those late games from California on my grainy b&w TV. There's was something about watching games late at night, with that big A out in the parking lot, and those halo caps, that seemed other worldly.I understand the time zone disconnect.

I remember going to a game at the Big A in the 70s, before they closedup the stadium beyond the outfield. It had the greatest view ever of the mountains.

Of course, I have posted before about going to an Angels game in their first year at Wrigley Field in L.A.