GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I dont like to speak ill of the dead so I wont...If in the past I disliked him it was mostly because he made the other guys (The Yanks) such a powerhouse.

I completely disagreed with his methods and alot of things that he did but he was successful....

There is no doubt, that for good or for ill he changed Major League baseball.

Since I havent been hearing that much, and wondering what was up, I found this Manny News

which seems right up his alley.... :)

I dont like to speak ill of the dead so I wont...If in the past I disliked him it was mostly because he made the other guys (The Yanks) such a powerhouse.

I completely disagreed with his methods and alot of things that he did but he was successful....

Since I havent been hearing that much, and wondering what was up, I found this Manny News

which seems right up his alley.... :)

Memories of George, off the top of my head...

He was successful in alienating Yogi Berra for 14 years.

He was successful in ruining baseball. High-priced free agents are the reason you probably can't afford to go to more games than you do.

He was suspended by Bowie Kuhn in the 1970s because he was convicted of making illegal political campaign contributions.

He was banned from baseball in the late 1990s by Fay Vincent for hiring a small-time gambler to dig up dirt on Dave Winfield.

He fired Yankee manager Dick Howser after winning 102 games or so in 1980 because the Yankees had a bad start the following year.

Some guy in an elevator made a crack about the Yankees after they lost the 1981 WS. George got into a tussle with them and ended up getting hit upside the head (ha ha!)

Oh yeah, he put together the best teams money could buy (even if they weren't always).

Memories of George, off the top of my head...

He was successful in ruining baseball. High-priced free agents are the reason you probably can't afford to go to more games than you do.

Oh yeah, he put together the best teams money could buy (even if they weren't always).

From the "Letters to the Editor" in today's New York Times:

To the Editor:

While many New Yorkers mourn the man who helped return the Yankees to supremacy, it is also important to remember that George Steinbrenner greatly diminished baseball for about two-thirds of the fans.

That is roughly the percentage of teams that start each season with no realistic chance of becoming champions because they can’t afford the best players under the twisted system that Mr. Steinbrenner exploited.

Yes, he was a brilliant businessman, but he spoiled the sport that so many loved back when it was played on a level field.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

thanks - some documentary was on last night on PBS . . . (couldn't finish it, had be up this morning)

When it comes to NY, usually I think Yanks/giants, yanks/dodgers, yanks/mets . . . this was interesting . . . course the yanks won the WS

what a time a city for baseball . . . it's amazing how watching baseball from 60 years ago . . . is like watching baseball.

it's amazing how watching baseball from 60 years ago . . . is like watching baseball.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I hope it stays that way.

Im starting to get annoyed about a few things

(CAUTION: B!TCHFEST)

A few years ago I mentioned to Hiway that I bought a complete game on DVD from 1967 --It was so refreshing to be able to watch the game, sometimes in near complete silence without all the bells, whistles, replays from 700 angles, over analysis and most of all ADVERTISING.

Since he is mentioned on this page, I suppose I could mention "The Boss" and other teams need to keep up financially but I wont go there, every team makes their own decisions ultimately.

Lately its impossible to go 10 seconds in a broadcast without some sort of ad by a fast talking announcer..They've even figured out that no longer do they have to be at the end of the inning but now can be between each pitch.

Everything, and I mean everything, has a sponsor now....that caught stealing was brought to you by LOJACK!, the official car safety devise of the Boston Red Sox!, Prevent theft with LOJACK! ..

Does everything have to be licensed?....The official cheese...the official shoelace..the official pizza topping.....all added to the regular annoying commercials.... The Red Sox have even figured out how to have a damn near subliminal "Eastern Bank" logo whoosh across the screen for about a 100th of a second about 900 times a game.

It gets to the point where you can hardly see the game anymore for all the interference they throw at you.

I know Ive said this on this thread about a billion times but to me baseball is a game of all types of enjoyable internal rhythms. Sometimes its gentle and easy where the only thing that matters in the moment is a gentle breeze that you can enjoy for that moment, sometimes it has you filled with anticipation,..or excitement ...or joy...or sorrow....or whatever...but to me those are what its about.....The incessant chatter, noise and attempts to sell me crap that I dont and never will want, interfere with the natural enjoyment of the game.. At least for me.....I know that I'll come back..i always do..but until then Ive been enjoying high school games and games that I just happen to run into more than TV games.

They look like baseball to me

..I did think the tribute to Bob Sheppard was well done--a game with NO announcer whatsoever..why cant they all be like that?

Ok thats the end of my rant :biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the Amica pitch zone . . . the what? I still don't know what Amica is, nor do I care to google it.

you know . . . think when I played t-ball/babino ball/ babe ruth . . . the uniforms themselves were advertising . . . course you might say that about major league uniforms . . . the team itself is a product.

So, A-Rod has joined the "600 Club."

When I was a kid, the only player with more than 600 homers was Babe Ruth, who had retired long before.

In my early teens, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron joined the group. So it remained for another thirty years.

In the last decade, there have been four more (with a couple more in striking distance). The "Steroid Era"? I think only Ken Griffey, Jr., is the only newbie without (known) steroid taint. A pity, I think.

George

Manny and Thome will likely join . . .

. . . maybe it's steroids that helped more join . . . but isn't there also more high paid talent than there used to be? Didn't players have to once work two jobs . . . not 110% focused on the game year round?

• 4 weeks later...

Among the reasons baseball isn't winning me over this year.

Manny's last act as a Dodger. Pinch hitting with the bases loaded, he gets himself thrown out of the game after disputing the first pitch. Manny isn't bothered by a lot of things in life, but he sure cared about whether that first pitch was a ball or strike.

I'm sure he'll love the White Sox for a month, and hit like crazy. I'm ashamed for ever buying into this guy when he came over.

Good luck.... what are they getting for Parking at the new place?

Its a shame about Manny--

I got to see him at a time when his antics were almost always peppered with something amazing--except toward the end when he became somewhat obnoxious...I thought that he would really fit in LA--but---well--- I dont know whats up with him------------nobody does-----

no matter what he does --I still think that he is the best natural hitter that I have ever seen

Edited by mstar1

Good luck....

Thanks. I left before rush hour and got there with only minor delays. I beat the traffic by leaving the game in the top of the 8th and flew home in record time.

what are they getting for Parking at the new place?

I parked several blocks away and it was $23. A couple of blocks closer to the stadium it was $36...friggin' joke. I think the new garage is all either reserved or pre-paid. I don't park in the garages, though -- takes too long to get out.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got captured this year for one reason or another--maybe Im old--- maybe Ive been too busy----Maybe --I dont know what--but this whole summer went by in a blur for me as if it barely happened.

I hope that somewhere off in the distance, Tommy Strange, who started this thread years ago, is really enjoying every moment of having his Rangers in first and poised for the playoffs

Yeah-where is Tom Strange ? This could be Texas' year.

I'm feeling off this year , too, and not sure why. The Dodgers are a MESS, but that doesn't usually affect me. The Yankees could be headed to the series again, which doesn't bother me. As is the norm here,if the Bosox aren't winning, it's quiet.

But it's more than all that this year, and I don't know why. I've been to about 25% of the games I usually get to. Maybe I am getting old. Or just crazy busy, and tired. I don't know , but it's SOMETHING.

I dont know either-----but it seems to have effected a lot of folks ---I know I havent felt this blah about a season in more than 15 years----even the local Yankee fan friends I have--that we usually spend summers talking trash to each other arent into it-----its odd------and where are the regulars?

Simons back in the politics forum but missed the season here, Geisha disappeared (is she in Haiti or something?) Bolshevik, Rocky, Lifted Up....weeks and months without posts doesnt usually happen here.

Its probably all Obamas fault

Ok, Mstar, you caught me...Actually, as my last post on the politics somewhat reflects, I think I'm becoming anti-media....I got so p. o.ed at my rising cable, phone and internet bill that I slashed it all down to basic, basic---which means I no longer have ESPN....Baseball tonight, SportsCenter, etc. ...I got sick of paying good money to watch all the commercials and what they thought was newsworthy...I guess you can say I threw out the baby with the bathwater...

I have several favorite teams, and when they're all doing lousy, I suppose I tend to point out more what's wrong with baseball.. Early in the year, when the Yankees jumped ahead, it seemed like another typical year of the haves and have-nots....While I know that not to be totally true, it still sticks in my craw a little bit...

But it has been a struggle in the local economy here to a large degree---I personally know quite a few people who went broke because of the housing bubble....And when something like that happens you tend to feel a little disconnected from baseball players and teams in general...

I was thinking that might be a cause of the general baseball malaise....even though baseball is supposed to be the great diversion sometimes things override it...Thankfully Ive been a little bit insulated from the economic hardships that Ive seen elsewhere but it is a worrisome thing---

I dont know what the key is but I hope things get better for you folks down there