GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

right now, Manny has changed the face of the Dodgers for the better. Here's hoping that remains the case, but as I've said, I'm a Manny convert ( at least until he gives me reason not to be).

One thing is certain, imo, and that's Manny is in a class by himself, for good or bad. It's been all good for the Dodgers so far.

Im sure you would --but I pretty much knew you may be interested in this one...He said he went back and forth to the Hall of Fame several times and got alot of great pictures, many of which arent readily available to the general public. It could be worth it for that alone in my mind.... (Wee Willie Keeler playing for the Highlanders etc)

Edited by mstar1

I'd dig some Wee Willie Keeler pics myself. Any Highlander stuff would be interesting.

I don't know if this joke translates-but the one time Chris Berman made me laugh out loud-he was showing a home run clip from Yankee Stadium on a night when hardly anyone was there-as the ball landed in empty seats, Berman described it as the batter' hitting it where they ain't'. Well, it made me laugh.

I finally joined the Baseball Reliquary, and got all sorts of neat stuff in the mail. One of the better reasons to live in Pasadena, is they do a lot of their programs at the library(like a through the ages baseball card show coming up soon). This year, Curt Flood, and Bill Veek Jr will be inducted in their "Shrine of the Eternals', and I am certainly going to attend the induction.From Veek's time-they have Eddie Gaedel's jockstrap, and a burned record from Disco Demolition Night-Don't ask me how.

I also get to vote on next years inductees.There's a list at their website, and I'm going to have to give it some thought.

It's also about keeping the fun in baseball.

Edited by hiway29

How many of the 50 do you get to vote for?

and do us gsc baseball threaders have any input? :)

I checked the site--Its a great list--Off the top of my head and In keeping with the spirit of the place I'd cast a vote for Nuf Ced McGreevey and Rube Waddell --- it does require some thought and discussion there are a lot of worthy candidates------I would pay my 25 dollars to vote but it had to be in by April 1st so Im too late..

after a second look at the list Pete Gray has got to get in

10982.jpg

just how many one armed major league outfielders shouldnt be inducted into the shrine of the eternals?

Edited by mstar1

well, in typical hiway29 style, I got my membership in 2 days after the voting deadline, so I can't vote this year !

I won't make that mistake again, and at least I can go to the induction ceremony just down the street.

Pete Gray has to go in. More contemporary players I'm considering are Tug McGraw, Luis Tiant, and Roger Maris.

Of course I'd vote for Tiant, for all his whirling and dealing as well as the cigars and millions of great quotes..Maris definitely deserves to be somewhere ( Is he still on the Cooperstown lists?)...I didnt follow McGraws career all that closely being in acult and all for parts of it but he seems shrine worthy...

Id love to see the House of David photos that are on exhibit there now. Papa Mstar saw them a few times in the 20's when they were barnstorming the Midwest and has told me some great stories about them

I think Roger Maris belongs in Cooperstown's Hall, but will probably never get there. He qualifies for the Shrine for more than his on the field accomplishments.

The pressures in '61 are a story in themselves. How many players lose clumps (!) of hair from pressure ? Hee was always accused of being surly, while Mantle was the 'good guy'. In many ways it was the other way around.

He also wanted nothing more than to stay in Kansas City, being a small town North Dakota guy. For all his fame, and impact with the Yankees, I wish he had been able to do so.

Roger got the short shaft somewhere --I actually remeber a little more of his days with the Cardinals as I was pretty young when he was with the Yanks--One of those clumps of hair for the reliquary would be a good display..

Indians are looking good this afternoon at Yankee Stadium 20-2 after 5.

I dont know if the ball just carries in the new place or the Indians are really that good

while licking my wounds over that crazy Yankee loss, it was a marvelous day at Dodger Stadium. Manny hit 2 home runs, and was as entertaining in the field.An easy fly popped out of his glove,and while diving for another ball, rolled on the ground at least 3 times , while 2 guys scored. I can't think of another player who can foul up like that on the field , and it somehow adds to the game. Ethier also hit 2 home runs,getting some fat pitches hitting in front of Manny.

The weather was suddenly summer like. Around the 5th inning my wife pointed out the lack of blaring rock music, signs telling us to 'make some noise', or most of the other distractions that normally irk us. It was a pure game, accented by good ol' Nancy Bea's organ between innings. I have no idea who's behind it, but I'd like to shake his hand, and only hope it stays that way.

Im glad your enjoying Manny--I think of all those years of trying to tell you how fun it was...even when he screws up its somehow a bagload of fun..

My favorite still has to be a game in 04 when a ball went over Johnny Damons head in Center and as Damon was relaying back in it, Manny hustled over from left and dove to cut off the throw to the infield.

:biglaugh: --of course the The last time I saw him live he was talking on his cell in the outfield which wasnt bad either ---There is only one Manny....

cool they dropped the blaring music--I really cant stand all that nonsense--or the exploding scoreboards that tell people what to do----or those gigantic distracting things on the facades of some stadiums...I'll hope they keep it that way out there for you.........

The new Yankee Stadium must have awind tunnel heading out to right or something...its a small sample size but the first few games have been ridiculous..looks like a nice place but they are going to have to figure out something to keep the ball in the park

I'm watching the Dodgers, who continue to pound the ball. I'm also hearing a lot of blaring music, so I don't know what happened yesterday. The Dodgers look like they'll win 150 games this year-I see no one in the NL Worst touching them, at least. I still can't believe it-but I'm enjoying it.

I love that kid Masterson, no matter where they put him, long relief, short, relief spot starting-he does a great job. He's all smiles all the time (except when he's pitching) and looks like a big kid out there-- apparently his young wife sends him in most days with a batch of cookies for the clubhouse :)

good day for sports yesterday, Sox swept the O's. Celtics won on a buzzer beater, Bruins went up 3-0 vs the Canadiens, and of course the Boston Marathon...

I'll give it a few more weeks but it seems so far like every popup to right in Yankee Stadium has a chance of going out--Maybe its just the weather season so far--the winds been blowing in, in most games at Fenway so far which is somewhat normal for April..If I recall it usually switches around in early may or so----maybe it will do something different soon in the Bronx as well and they wont end up with 800 Hrs over that fence this year

Justin "Hi Mom Im having lots of fun up here in the big leagues" Masterson

WINNERSwakejust-734838.jpg

Out where I'm at lots of folks actually know masterson. Went to high school with him and such. I'm still trying to figure out a way to meet him. :biglaugh:

Got tickets last year when the sox came out to play the Reds (Had to buy several other games just for the privilege of seeing the sox come in, tickets I couldn't even give away) There was a huge crowd of locals surrounding masterson after one of the games. Guess he came out to see the fans behind the seats. He's a tall dude.

four straight no hitters and now going for the national record? I hope he doesn't overdue it on his arm . . . could be worth a lot someday.

You wait all winter for the sox, they take a day off, and you get a little upset. I saw parts of both of yesterday's games. Either the offense is waking or Minnesota doesn't have great pitching. They're usually a good team far as I remember. Oh well, that old "enemy" comes tomorrow . . .