GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

after I posted I looked online and couldnt believe it was 0-0 in the thirteenth--I "watched" the play by play on line at my shop and was getting ready to roll home to watch what looked like an amazing game but didnt want to leave what was happening on the comp. It ended just as I hopped in the truck to watch it at home--my error --my fault--I should know better than to move by now in a game like that even if I cant see it

I posted this about a week or so ago

Some friends in a mixed marriage (She a Red Sox fan-He a Yankees fan) had a boy-child last week. They are good folks but the subject that has caused the most friction is whether to decorate his room with Red Sox stuff or Yankees stuff. Two very level headed, kind, big hearted, intelligent people who get along very well and are together on just about everything else have actually had a row about this...and he barely has his eyes open yet

We'll see how that works out

Looks like Mama won that go round :)

Heres Niilo Webber Davis-MacDowall on day 2 of his journey.

he's a big boy with big hands--Im thinking thirdbaseman

232323232%7Ffp53672%3Enu%3D4747%3E66%3A%3E255%3EWSNRCG%3D326%3B%3B%3B%3A%3B84346nu0mrj

Edited by mstar1

hey, I need one of those outfits . . .

I'm gonna put some lame spin on last nights game . . .

Francona put Tazawa(sp?) in to make an impression on the young pitcher . . . you know, humble him, he'll be more focused and dangerous down the road . . .

:biglaugh:

Hiway,

So are you originally/technically a Yanks or Dodgers fan or neither or both? I thought NY Dodgers fans became Mets fans. I don't know what NY Giants fans did.

Edited by Bolshevik

I grew up in Ct as passionate a Yankee fan as you've ever seen. I probably put too much importance, and involvement with the Yankees through the 60's and 70's.I kept scrapbooks, listened or watched every game, and felt I had gone to heaven when my parents finally took me to Yankee Stadium. I'm still a Yankee fan, though I live on the other coast, and as I've verbalized too often in here,I just don't enjoy that kind of fanaticism anymore. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this last weekend, though. Of course they may fold in the first playoff round, if they get that far.

I now live 10 minutes from Dodger Stadium, and get to about 20 games a year (as well as a couple games down in Anaheim). I'm not a Dodger 'fan' in the same way. It's the team you loved when you were 12 that really matters. I love going to Dodger Stadium, and there is a magic there. I have come to really like the team-I just can't get that emotionally involved , as there are too many real life things that are more important. I'm just happy to have major league baseball nearby. I'd do the same if I lived near the Pirates, Orioles, or whoever. I am lucky to have such a great place as Dodger Stadium though. It's not hurting to have Joe Torre, and Don Mattingly here, either.

Its been my experience, and I dont know exactly why, that Brooklyn Dodger fans and NY Giants fans for the most part became Mets fans...some of the oldimers were as passionate dislikers of the Yankees as Red Sox fans ever thought of being...which probably has something to do with the Yanks long string in the 50's of championships.

Ive talked to quite a few of them..When I lived for a brief spell in Brooklyn in the early 80's there was still a lot of people very PO'ed because 'dem bums' moved.

The Mets colors were supposedly a mixture of Dodger Blue and Giants Orange.

Its an interesting phenomena how whatever team gets in your blood stays there. I dont know how that works exactly but it would make an interesting study...Team loyalty often outlasts marriages, careers, and just about anything else that you would think would supposedly be more important....

I think in Milwaukee, folks were so hacked when the Braves left town, nobody would drink Coke products for years. I know there's a few Boston Braves fans left, but don't know of any Milwaukee Braves fans. Now they've got they're Brewers. (I think the Orioles came from Milwaukee via the St Loius Browns). There's bit of regional aspect to it all. It is an interesting phenomenon.

I wouldn't know what to do if the Sox ever left Boston. They originally "displaced" the Braves. Does the 1914 WS count for Boston? :biglaugh:

Thats our Eck alright-

It almost brought atear to my eye to see Jerry Remy back in the booth for an inning last night and hear about his fight with cancer then debilitating depression. You could hear it in his voice and his candidness that it has been a tough battle. I'm hoping that his openness helps out others who are in the same fight.

The standing O for him was very touching....I look forward to having him back..If NESN knows what they are doing they'd let him come in at his own pace and keep all three of them together (Eck, Remy and Don Orsillo) for awhile.

Sox won but to me the return of Remdawg was by far the highlight of the evening

Welcome Home

remreturns.jpg

Edited by mstar1

nice pic :)

Remy looked like he'd made an effort to be there. It was quite a sight.

. . .

Once talked to some Germans (soccer fans). They thought it weird that our sports had at least two announcers. (Over there there's just one at a time.) I like the banter that goes back and forth. Talk of past games and other insights. (then of course the all important discussion on does your tie match your suit and handkerchief.:biglaugh:) I've certainly warmed up to Eck. Three would be fine with me.

There are certainly announcing teams that mesh well together, and I can only hope that Remy has a full recovery and returns to the booth.

But nothing is as pure and satisfying as Vin Scully in the booth by himself. It's as if he came into your living room, and is chatting with you personally. He knows when to talk, when to stay quiet, when to interject humor, observations, or analysis, and really 'crafts' the game. It's a dying art that will sadly disappear when he retires.

what team does he announce for? I've got MLb.tv, and I've started to notice some announcers I like, some, not so much. I like to hear the Jays' announcers say "out" in that Canadian accent :biglaugh: Chicago, I don't care for, and haven't put my finger on why.

Vin Scully announces for the Dodgers. Since 1950 !!! and hasn't missed a beat-I can only gush and be in awe, and enjoy him while we still got him

The Chicago White Sox announcers are the WORST-I'm pretty sure it's Ken Harrelson, who gives 'homer' a whole new meaning. gives the score as 'good guys' this vs 'bad guys' that. Sox player hits a pop foul, he talks to the ball 'get outta here', and on and on.

There is something about the tenor (is that the right word) of announcers like Scully that immediately make you feel right at home as if with some good uncle (or something like that) when they announce. I grew up with Ned Martin who described the game in such away that you were right there. Always a gentleman -it was sometimes poetic the way he viewed baseball.

I agree those days are pretty much gone.

Remy is from a different cloth but was always was able to make even boring games fun somehow. joking, telling anecdotes, bantering with Orsillo about anything at all under the sun...A little impish and a little rascalish-but very good insights always---and with touches of humor----

I think he is one of the big reasons that the socalled "RedSox Nation" has gained so many new fans over his tenure (I know I know winning doesnt hurt either...)He makes the games very enjoyable.

I look forward to him saying BUENOS NOCHES AMIGOS! someday very soon..No matter what else happens --it will be a good day

I dont know what you are doing

when I post a pic -I upload it to photobucket.com directly from my comp......which even a non computer geek like myself eventually figured out after afew minutes the first time.

then I link directly from there...I'd love to see it but dont frustrate yourself either

earlier this week I saw this photo which to me seemed incredibly ironic--

c36ba1662803a13e7145845d562a6049-getty-85127769jj016_los_angeles_d.jpg

Really Giants fans?

NOW You are going to take the high road and start jeering a star leftfielder for PEDS?

About halfway through writing the signs nothing dawned on you?

O well..............

Edited by mstar1

Pete Rose is in the Baseball Hall of Fame museum. All his accolades are mentioned. His picture is there and other stuff is there behind a glass. He just won't be inducted into the hall of fame. And rightfully so. He was a bad boy and did a no-no.

My opinion extends also to those that have used drugs, i. e. steroids.

Onto a happier note that intiated me coming to this thread is the Little League World Series.

Aaaaahhhhh, baseball in its purest sense. To watch these precious boys, with nothing but love for the game....

my favorite time of the baseball season.

Me too

I have been on the road and wanted to stop and watch the championship this weekend in Wiliamsport but my employee was in too much of a rush to get home -- :realmad:

but all the LL games have been great as they are nearly every year..Those teams have been playing some great baseball The team from California is amazing.....world championship today at 3 --dont miss it!