GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I'll be tuned in..

I gotta wonder how Texas Tom is faring these days...The 'insurmountable' Angels lead has been dwindling a bit over the last week and the Angels appear to have the much tougher September schedule--Plus there'll be 6 head to head games Tex vs LAAAAAAA coming up...If Hamilton does what he is capable of and their young pitching holds up the stRangers have a very legitimate shot at the division---

I'm warming up for the stretch run which is always fun--things are feeling like they are finally starting to jell around here a little--even Remy is back-which makes it all feel like home again

• Upvote 1

They're lookin good but I'll be content with the wildcard--In October all teams are 0-0 when the second season begins----Things are looking good here-the pitching is shaping up--even Paul Byrd who a month ago was working the driveup window at Dairy Queen ( or something like that...) had a great performance beating Roy Halladay today---Heading into September things are looking good...

Congratulations to the kids from Chula Vista California---LLWS Champions 2009 another great game for them--their double play with the bases loaded and a tie game in the fifth was just plain stellar baseball...Bravo!

• Upvote 1

I was wondering about that myself-----Kazmir had been a Sox-killer for a long time and even though he has declined some and is injury prone he still is seemingly a good pitcher for the stretch...Why the Rays dumped him and no one with a lesser record than the Angels (Rangers, Red Sox etc) picked hm up on the waiver deal before the LAAA's makes me think that there is some issue with him that no one is mentioning.

I wouldnt stop keeping an eye on Tampa Bay (or anyone at all) just yet--we still have a mont and anything can still happen

• Upvote 1

I missed the LLWS. The boy had baseball practice 4-7. Playing in a USSSA tournament this coming weekend. The new season has just started.

Can ya'll believe we are in September of the ML baseball season? It seems just like yesterday we were panting for it to start.

• Upvote 2

It is hard to believe this year seemed like a few blinks to me--although Im getting a little more locked in and ready to go now :)

Good Luck to your son--What exactly is the USSSA?-

....Ive had a good chance to chuckle the last few days seeing some classic Manny fielding moments in LA :biglaugh:, although Hiways perspective might be different I still enjoy them

Other news that we should have known was going to happen:

LINK

Former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling may throw his cap into the race for Sen. Edward Kennedy's Senate seat, according to New England Cable News.

Schilling told NECN in an interview Wednesday that he was eyeing the seat left vacant by Kennedy, 77, who succumbed to brain cancer last week, WCVB-TV reported.

I chuckle at Manny in the field also, though it drives my wife nuts-

I'm not chuckling at his lack of hitting-I still figure it's just a late season Manny nap, but ever since the drug thing he hasn't been the same-I'll not speculate further on what that may mean

I also don't get the Dodgers getting Jim Thome-he can't play in the field, and I don't know how many home runs he's got left pinch hitting twice a week. Maybe they figure he'll DH in the world series, and pop a few in homer friendly Yankee Stadium-and how many 'ifs' have to come to pass for that ?

There are some awfully strong teams competing for the series. All of the talk centers on the Yanks and Sox, and as usual the Angels are all but ignored-and don't forget about Texas,and Detroit

could Schilling get elected on the strength of his pitching heroics ? I sincerely hope the good people of Mass aren't that wacky.

I think I actually said that after the '04 series heroics and no doubt he would get some votes...Although he likes to run at the mouth, he does have some fairly cogent ideas from time to time that could also attract some in the conservative/religious branch.

Tough to tell, Mass has had liberal senators forever, the governorship runs back and forth.

I think generally he wont get enough out of his playing days to make it happen although the state GOP might put him up there for name recognition. Tough to tell at this point..

Didnt Jim Bunning just retire? Whats the senate without a few token former athletes?

That Jim Thome acquisition is sort of baffling --I was wondering if it had something to do with Manny since Manny and Thome came up together in Cleveland and maybe Colletti was hiring Thome as a designated Manny motivator--Who knows? :P

I'm not chuckling at his lack of hitting-I still figure it's just a late season Manny nap,

Im pretty sure that even though he already has had 50 games off that its just about time for Mannys annual 2-3 week vacation to Florida ...um..I mean...stint on the 15 day DL for some mysterious "hamstring injury". I think he gets bored this time of year or something

The Dodgers have a big enough lead, give him a few weeks off, then a week or so back to get his timing and he'll be right on the top of his game when the playoffs start

I dont know if Torre will go for it but it usually worked here :biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

Giving Manny time off sounds good to me. Juan Pierre, who'd be starting on any other team, is as motivated a player as I've ever seen, and delivers every game he's in.

A nice article in the LA Times today about Roger the Peanut guy. He's been tossing peanuts since the Dodgers were in the Coliseum ! He obviously wears a rug, but still looks years younger, and never misses a game. He patrols the loge area where I usually sit, and it's as comforting as Vin Scully, and Tommy Lasorda, to watch Roger toss peanuts behind his back across 20 rows, and banter with the regulars who have known him for years. The guy is so popular , Johnny Carson had him on in the 70's a couple of times. I have no idea if he's been able to make much money as a 'celebrity'-but he's still pushing peanuts as hard as anyone. It just occurred to me that he should be in the 'Shrine of the Eternals', at the Baseball Reliquary. I might just have to campaign for that.

Derek Jeter just tied Lou Gehrig for most hits by any Yankee -ever. When you think about who's on that list (Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra,...) that's pretty impressive. Of course, Ruth was a pitcher first , and played for the Sox for years, DimaG lost 3 years to WW11, and Mantle was injury ridden his whole career-but I'm still impressed with the accomplishment.

I'm more impressed with the way he's conducted himself through the years. The Derek Jeter of 2009, plays with the same focus and consistency as he did in 1996. And has managed to be in the spotlight without controversy through his career. That the Rays applauded him during the game , is a testament to the respect shown him by his peers.

So now watch his name surface on that infamous drug list, and shatter everything I just said. I really don't think it will, but who knows anymore. Please, let me believe in SOMETHING good.

Congratulations to Jeter--If I look like I hate him from time to time on this thread--well I dont and you know I really dont--He is just that good that i have had to 'endure' too many game winning hits or great plays to be able to enjoy with an unbiased eye how good he really is...He has brought me too much weeping and gnashing of teeth over the years--which in some way really is a sign of respect.

To be at the top of the all time Yankee list is an amazing achievement. Im finally after all these years getting to the point where if I get to see him playing against someone else I can enjoy watching him for who he is.....I wish him well, he's not only a great player but agreat ambassador for the game--I just hope hell go 0 for the playoffs--which of course he wont.

and Im with you on the damn list--please God keep him off that list-baseball would take a big hit if that were to happen

That was a surprisingly great start by DiceK---If he is genuinely back and that wasnt a fluke, and with Buchholz pitching the way he has been pitching-Lester being Lester and Beckett coming back after a horrendous few starts--I am liking the way things are shaping up.....Things seem to be jellin at just the right time.

and at risk of ticking off Hiway...an old video I watched for the first time in a few years yesterday ...I know Geisha will like it

<embed src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/1922500/red_sox_the_beatles_a_day_in_the_life.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_1922500" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1922500/red_sox_the_beatles_a_day_in_the_life/">Red Sox - The Beatles - A Day In The Life</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">Click here for more amazing videos</a></font>

Edited by mstar1

Cool video. Ever seen "Still, we believe." about the 2003 Red Sox? They interviewed a set of fans during the season. Documenting that pain.

They did a sequel about the 2004 season. The fans didn't know how to feel anymore. Good feeling.

. . .

The National League seems to be interesting this year. (Course, I usually don't pay much attention).

Phils vs Rox? I'd bet Phils

LA vs STL? I dunno

Edited by Bolshevik

Yea "Still, We Believe" is in my video library along with about 5 copies of the '04 film

"Faith Rewarded" and about 20 other videos of that magical season...

It's that time of year again--the leaves are changing, the weathers getting cooler, and its time once again to register for playoff tickets... I dont know how they do it in other places---hopefully my number will come up this year

If anyone else wants to give it a go here is the link:

https://secure.mlb.com/sponsorship/si/y2009/postseason_ticket_offer.jsp?c_id=bos

Good Luck everyone

si_ps_ticket_logo.jpg

*knocks on wood*

the sox are 5 games behind the yanks

*knocks on wood*

they play KC and Cleveland and the yanks and someone else to go

*knocks on wook*

they have the second best record in the majors for the moment

*knocks on wood*

just sayin' . . .

Its only 4 in the loss column---

--just sayin--

:)

While the Red Sox play the Royals the Yankees play the Angels... and then the two face off next weekend...

This could get very innnnnteresting.

I dont want to jinx anything--just happy that the wildcard seems secure--BUT you never know.

The Orioles are impressed--"they're better than the two World Series teams they had."

Edited by mstar1