GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

In my email today

AMERICAN LEAGUE DIVISION SERIES - TICKET OPPORTUNITY

Thank you for registering for a chance to purchase tickets for the Red Sox postseason. Unfortunately your entry was not selected for our online ALDS sale. Should ALCS tickets be made available details on any ticket sale will be announced at a later date.

Thank you again for your participation.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

next question--do I go to the scalpers or not?

Proof that Jennifer Garner is one of the great women of our day and time:

:biglaugh::love3::wink2:

From Leno:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4abb72df8a3758bb/4ab871f386d34293/adc95de6/-cpid/2ace08238bdda9f" id="W4727a250e66f97234abb72df8a3758bb" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4abb72df8a3758bb/4ab871f386d34293/adc95de6/-cpid/2ace08238bdda9f" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

Edited by mstar1

Proof that Jennifer Garner is one of the great women of our day and time:

:biglaugh::love3::wink2:

From Leno:

. . .

I thought she said Alex Gonzalez twice (instead of V-mart, but we know she meant V-mart).

She is a great woman indeed . . . :biglaugh:

just checking in on the Red Sox board

I knew this was coming . . . It's hard not to . . . Life -> Baseball -> Red Sox.

Sorry Hiway.

hmmm I always thought Life>-Baseball>-Yankees

I really may sit out the playoffs here. It's become a Sox board because more Sox fans are represented , which seems to have driven away the Rangers, Dbacks, Cardinals, etc fans that used to be regulars.

There's nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.

I'm scratching my head over the 1860's rule that says "runners may be put out on a foul ball that has gone back to the pitcher". I like the Clodbusters otherwise.

Well Id like to see Simon , Tom, Rock and the others show back up--I didnt really mean to chase them all away--Its getting toward playoff time and my home team pride is coming out again...which we have been over here a hundred times already-its a primal response that is hard to repress..

Without any real races -I'd just as soon start the playoffs already instead of waiting around..It should be an exciting October

I'd at least like to hear Tom check in....The Rangers went farther than I expected and had a real shot before unfortunately falling a little short this year...probably a good and hopeful but disappointing year for Texans...a few tweaks to the roster and they'll threaten the LAAA'a next year

Whats happenin' in Dodgerville? the very little exposure I get makes them look very exciting--but honestly about the only thing I get to see are the Ethier walkoffs---and there is obviously much more to the picture than that..

I admit Im a homer,I just like the way things seem to be falling into place around here

Of course no matter what things look like in October --nobody really knows nothin

I have no problems with home team pride. I'm allowed pride in my team as well, even though I'm thousands of miles away. I'm just not into all the back and forth in a heated playoff series this year. If your team wins, you'll be of course high fiving each other-if mine wins, I'll be high fiving the air in here. All I know is somebody will be happy, and somebody won't. Of course, the Angels or Tigers are still out there too.

With my 'transplant' home team, the Dodgers, there certainly is a lot more than Ethier-mostly excellent pitching, and Torre calmly steering the team through it's ups and downs. Ever since the drug thing, Manny has been less of a presence here, and kind of plays like the airs been let out of him much of the time.

Manny has always been moody, when its important to him he almost always steps it up a notch. If its not that big of a deal maybe he will, maybe he wont.

Last year he was playing for a contract---This year with the big lead--eh who knows...maybe he was a little too casual about things....For me it will still be good to see him in the playoffs--Hopefully he will step it up a notch--he is still plenty capable to do that if he wants.

Time will tell

--congrats--

I had to turn the series off myself ....When Lester took a liner off the knee on Friday and went down like a pile of bricks I nearly threw up...It was the very very last thing I wanted to see...

So I took a nice foliage weekend drive in New England which is looking great about now

A foliage drive in New England sounds better than anything to me-something I truly miss. It's also something you can rely on, a ball teams fortunes are completely out of our hands.

Then I'm reading of a 4th grade kid in Syracuse who wore a Yankee shirt to class. The teacher, a Sox fan, made him turn it inside out, and he was teased all day for it. I remember elementary school teasing all too well. Seems like the teacher cares more about his emotions as a fan, than he does about the lives of the kids he's being entrusted with.

On a west coast note, the Dodgers failed to clinch the west against the 'lowly' Pirates. The bright spot there is that means Vin Scully will be on hand to announce the game when ( if ? ) they do.

Vin , being in his 80's, does not make the east coast swings any more, and I can assure you the substitute announcers are making sure you miss him.

Same thing here with Remy-he doesnt make road trips right now so we never know who we are going to get---I enjoyed Sean Casey for a series, then its back to Eckersley then maybe Frank Viola or maybe the ball boy from 86 or something for the road games... Its been an interesting TV year but alittle lacking in continuity. Orsillo has been good with about 40 different partners-I'll give him that.

Playoffs are always strange with the different announcers--I just hope they dont have those damn FrankTV commercials every 5 seconds like they have the last few years (is that even still on the air?)

A New England foliage run is always good--this is shaping up to be a really great year

Edited by mstar1

I just saw that the Dodgers play the Pirates AGAIN today, so I may have spoke too soon. A 4 game series ending on a Monday-that's some weird scheduling. Sometimes I think baseball would just as soon skip the east-west coast games. It's pretty funny to see the Dodgers play the Mets in May-only to realize that's the last time they'll be around this year. (still the Yankees made 3 trips west this year-in late September even-I don't understand scheduling). IMO, interleague games have had their use, and there's not much reason for them. I'd rather see a more balanced schedule , where teams play more than 6 times a year.

Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying the Yankees east title, but am more than aware that it may all crumble in the first round.

I was driving around southern connecticut last week (your neck of the woods maybe?) and was listening to the NY sports radio stations that I dont get at home. I was somewhat surprised at how nervous all the Yankee fans were even though technically they have the best team in baseball---I know the feeling from years past but it was odd (and I have to admit somewhat enjoyable)to see the shoe on the other foot. Caller after caller was very worried.... Since the 04 ALCS, something seemingly has snapped with those folks...I lived with it for a very long time -- I hate that feeling of impending baseball doom.

I have no idea what is going to happen of course--but I am glad that it is them that are carrying that anxiety laden weight for now and not me*.

I like where the Sox are positioned and will take what comes

*I do reserve the right to be anxious and annoying at a later date if necessary

:wink2:

well, of course, Yankee fans are nervous, because they've tanked in the last 4 playoffs. That's the fans. I don't think the team is nervous at all. I said (yeah, I'm so smart-but I still said) in the beginning of the season that Tex, CC, and Burnett were different than other overpriced free agents, and I think it's mostly turned out to be true. Tex has transformed the infield, and CC has certainly produced. I even think Arod may break the playoff jinx, as the weight isn't on him as much, and he seems , dare I say, more of a team player than ever before. The Yankees may still lose, but it won't be because the team is put together wrong. I'm liking their chances from here, but baseball is always 'chance' to a degree.

Southern Connecticut is my neck of the woods, though it looks like I won't be getting back this year. sigh. I grew up in Stratford, and my brothers live in Southbury, and Easton.As happy as I am out here, I always long for the Autumn and Spring in Ct (not so much the humid summer, and endless winter).

No wonder you grew up a yank fan --thats almost spittin distance to the Bronx.

It is amazing through here in the fall---if you could ever swing it one of these years an October trip would be worth it. IMO there is nothing quite like New England in the Autumn...

I agree that the Yanks are put together well--most of the concerns that I heard dealt with the end of the roster and who to include and not include--mostly Joba who apparently has been a strange enigma all year that has anguished the hardcore....I suppose I'd have similar concerns, if I was in a 'state', about including Varitek on the post season roster who has been spiraling down some...

Sometimes in the playoffs it is the 24th or 25th guy who makes the difference

Thankfully its not my decision and I have learned to trust those who make those decisions....so (for now at least) I can rest easy.

I also better wish you luck now...I may not be in such a charitable mood in a few weeks during the heat of battle to remember to do it again

I've made it back east most years since moving out here-ideally in October, but more often at Thanksgiving, when Autumn is pretty much done. The peak of Fall in New England is really the most beautiful place on Earth, and I miss it more every year. It was all NY growing up, mainly due to the NY TV stations, and the commuters. I did pick up Red Sox games on the New Haven station, but they only seemed to air about 10 a year. The friendly voice of Phil Rizzuto , and the neighborhood buzz on what Mantle did that day,was constant.

Good luck to you too. I may be cranky soon myself. There's always the Angels looming out there too, though the Sox seem to have their number. The Yankees sure don't.

Not a great photo by any means but here is a snap of the backyard this mornin to give you a small taste of home.

100_0665.jpg

I echo Rizzuto every once in awhile and burst out an audible 'Holy Cow!!' during some of the sights of the season

Maple syrup.

I suddenly crave maple syrup.

You know how often I get a decent serving of maple syrup nowadays? Used to always have a neighbor or relative or someone just giving it away . . .

:biglaugh:

Gees the things I take for granted---There are a bunch of sugarhouses in the hills near me...there is nothing quite like going out for a sunday morning pancake feed at any one of them with fresh fresh maple syrup.....um um...

HERE'S ONEnot too far from me.

You's guys PM me your sddresses I'll see that you get some...no one should be without at least a little real maple syrup.

I dont know what this has to do with baseball exactly--other than maple syrup is better than those splintery maple bats

A generous offer like that is too good to pass up. If I can't be in New England, a taste of NE is most welcome. Thanks !

For some reason I've forgotten how to send a pm in here. I'll pm you as soon as I decode it.

The Dpdgers are not looking impressive as they try to get 1 more win. If they somehow blow the Padres sereis, and the Rockies keep winning, they could lose the division to Colorado, when they close out the season with them this weekend.

It would be a good time for Manny to wake up.

Posted Today, 09:30 AM
Posted Today, 09:50 AM

Well that took all of 20 minutes

I guess I'd jump on it too

You'll find a package addressed to "The Pasadena Chapter of the International Yogi Berra Appreciation Society" arriving sometime next week.

why do I break out in a sweat every time I'm computer challenged ?

I prefer the Paul O'Neill kick and beat it to a pulp approach to my computer--Its much more satisfying that way---less internalized stress---just show it whos boss once in awhile until it gets in line.....

Its scary around here too baseball wise--A week ago the Sox were unbeatable--now they look like they couldnt beat anyone---they backed into the wildcard with the LAA's beating Texas--but things sure change quick.....we will see but we will see