GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

It's all still anybody's (but the Cardinals) game.

...and the Red Sox...for now......Ive already retooled the whole lineup for next year about 500 times over in the last few hours.

Im calmed now...the Corona bottle which wanted to sail through my TV a few hours ago never made it.

Its time for me to watch the rest of the way, dream a creative offseason and "stare out the window and wait for spring"

I just saw the recap, having been out all day. It never 'felt' like the Red Sox year, for whatever that's worth. Problem is, it does for both the Yankees and Angels. We'll see who wants it more.

Yankees-Dodgers ? Angels-Dodgers? Both series are exciting out here. Rockies-Twins not so much-but I know I'd be rooting for the Twins.

Now it's Yankees-Angels, and every commentator I've heard so far has the Angels as favorites (they certainly had the Yanks number during the season)-so does this make the Yankees 'underdogs' ?

Division series are weird-one mistake and poof- and they usually seem to be sweeps.

Some really exciting finishes , making some of us happy, and some sad, of course. I hate-really hate-those lingering shots of anguished fans in the stands when the home team is losing.

And I can't decide what's been worse, the umpiring, or TBS announcers.

I suppose it wasn't unexpected..The '09 team was a good team but not a great team---I tried all season to hide that from myself and hope that they would turn some corner somewhere that never really happened..... but it still stings to get swept-especially the way that it happened-up by 2 in the 9th -2outs, 0-2 count.

Whatjagonnado?

I dont know who to root for now. The upside if the NYY's win is that it would light a fire under the front office to quit squirreling around with reclamation projects (Smoltz, Penny)

and sign some top notch Free Agents.

They'll have their work cut out for them this off season no matter what--there are too many questions on the 25 man roster...

anyway just ranting..

I'll agree the umping AND announcing has been abysmal IMO--but that not be a completely fair assessment, I'm a little ticked at everything right now

• 2 weeks later...

Its time for one of my all time favorite movie scenes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg&hl=en&fs=1&"'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg&hl=en&fs=1&"'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg&hl=en&fs=1&"'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtFX_fxZwg

I realize the season is over for most on here, and I'm talking to the air, but I'm of course happy to see the Yanks in the series (and sad that the Dodgers didn't get there).

One reason I'm sick of sports is Ken Rosenthal interviewing Jeter moments after thhe game last night...

in essence

Rosenthal-"Derek, you guys haven't won anything yet-remember 2003, 2004, you haven't won since 2000".

Jeter-"Yeah-thanks for the negative" (and nice timing-1 minute after winning the AL)

as usual, Jeter had too much class to just walk away after that from the exchange. It's one reason I still root for the Yankees to shove it down their throats.

The seasons not over for me. Im watching (hence the World Series scene from Cuckoos Nest back a few posts).

The playoffs have been interesting so far, some good games. I was hoping that the ALCS would go 7 to add some drama but after the Angels imploded in the 8th that wasn't going to happen.

It should be a good series, hopefully there will be some good weather and not the miserable cold and rain that has been intermittent here in the East.

Its tough to call this one. The Yanks vs the defending Champs, Two great hitting teams. Lee vs Sabathia, former teammates and the last 2 Cy Young Winners in the opener. The series the potential to be a real battle. In my mind I'd love to see it go 7, plus as a sidelight I'm hoping I get to see Pedro Martinez pitch against the Yanks again.

Its the Fall Classic--no matter what Im in.

and---

I'll agree with you on the announcing. Ive probably devoted a 100 posts on this thread to being ticked off at Playoff announcing over the years (epecially when the Sox were in--remember when they spent 2 innings talking about ARod opting out of his contract while the Red Sox were winning the final game against Colorado in '07 :realmad:--I was ready to throw something through the TV))

I don't have as much of a stake in it this year so it doesnt seem quite so bad.

Ive tried all sorts of alternatives if it really bothers me. Listening to the radio or on the internet with the TV down might help you out if it gets too obnoxious to take--and sometimes it does.

Good Luck Hiway--enjoy it..As for me I just want a good series and will follow the stories as they develop

Sometimes, just having a good series without the emotional involvement is the best way to go. Enjoy the games without chewing the sofa cushions.

This series could be a humdinger. Two hard hitting teams with some great pitching. Neither team prone to folding. As much as 4 and out for the Yankees takes the stress off, I really see this one going 6 or 7 with a good deal of momentum shifting.

yeah-there will be brawls, though I like to think the vast majority of fans in both cities just want to watch the game, it only takes a few idiots -and both cities have some idiots. If I saw fights in laid back LA over a meaningless game in May, then a WS game in freezing Philly or NY between lickered up idiots is a certainty.

I wonder what Philly fans were like in 1950-the last time the 2 teams met in the series ?

LA is now distracted by the divorce between Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and his wife-who wants to buy him out and run the team herself. She's demanding among other things, about 500 grand a MONTH to live in the style she's accustomed to.They already own at least 4 huge houses in Malibu and LA, which I'll assume they'll divide. This is going to be an ugly winter for the Dodgers. The only positive I can see is it stalls McCourts plans to build a 'Dodgerville' of restaurants and shops behind the stadium, and condos in the Dodger parking lot.

On a side note, I had some awesome pancakes , with the great syrup Mstar sent from New England the other day. That's some good eating, and a reminder of 'home'.

Glad you enjoyed it-send me some of that LA sunshine!

Its getting gray and cold... If I had my way I'd hibernate like a bear after the series and wake up on opening day.

LA is now distracted by the divorce between Dodgers owner Frank McCourt and his wife-who wants to buy him out and run the team herself. She's demanding among other things, about 500 grand a MONTH to live in the style she's accustomed to.

:doh: 500K a month? ....ah Hollywood.....

But more importantly... who gets custody of Manny?

These messy divorces never think about the kids..... or the childlike

2 games in and it's been an awful lot of great pitching. I think it will change as they get deeper into their rotations and bullpens. I'm just glad Cliff Lee can't pitch 4 games. Right now he's as unhittable a pitcher as I've ever seen. Unfortunately, Mariano can't pitch 2 innings every night.

I'm sure Cleveland fans enjoyed game 1-'there's Cliff and CC-didn't we used to have them BOTH? '

The way things were starting to shape up, I'm satisfied the Yankees squeaked out one win before heading to Philly. Now I'm hoping they come back to the Bronx.

Lee was amazing--Aside from having phenomenal stuff, I cant remember anyone being that cool in a World Series opener.

Leeeeeeko.gif

...as if he was in the backyard playing with the kids....

I did enjoy seeing Pedro even though Fox beat the story to death. I didnt enjoy seeing Charlie Manuel channeling Grady Little and leaving him in one inning too many though when it was still a one run game..

IMO these long layoffs should cease--I dont know if that effects the hitters more than the pitchers but although there has been great pitching the hitters still look a little off to me.

Hopefully they'll catch up and there'll be a back and forth 9-8 heartstopper in here somewhere.

So far so good, although I have to admit I was secretly hoping to see the Phils go up 2-0, just to watch Yankee fans sweat :P

Playing in Philly will be tough--Hope you're not munching on your couch quite yet

There's still a ways to go

Fox (and Tim McCarver) will beat any story to death. McCarver loves to say something, then say it again, then say it 5 more times just in case you didn't hear it the first 10 times. Where's Vin Scully when you need him.

Hitters on both sides have seemed off. I don't think that will last. I'm not quite at the point of eating my couch. First 2 games seemed strange to me for reasons I can't explain.

This is shaping up to be one crazy weekend in Philadelphia.

A Halloween night game?

In Philly?

against the Yankees?

Aye Carumba--

As if thats not enough they'll also have the Giants/Eagles game on Sunday to add some fuel to the fire

This has all the earmarks for a little too much collective insanity.

good

Congrats Im sure it does. There is nothing quite like your team winning the World Series to 'wash away your sins', reinvigorate you and give you a renewed sense of childlike joy.

Take time to really enjoy--just dont get obnoxious as I was please :biglaugh:

or do if you want to....

Edited by mstar1

I admit I'm tempted to gush-but I really don't want to 'rub it in', and I figure no one wants to hear me 'gloat' -if that's what it is.

you hit the nail on the head- it is reinvigorating and I am basking in the child like joy, just enjoying it.

And I am glad that you and your fellow Sox fans can speak from experience. I hope Cubs fans finally get their turn soon.

The new stadium is now broken in. Funny, the balls weren't flying into the seats like in the beginning of the year. I don't recall blowhards McCarver and Buck hardly mentioning it, and they love to beat any thought to death. The Yankees 'bookended' the decade with championships, which is nice ( and I won't have to endure the endless articles referring to the Yankees-who haven't won since 2000).

I felt good for the 'old guard' Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, Posada-oh and Joe Girardi, who also caught on the 90's teams.

I mainly felt good for the 12 year old fan in me-it's nice to let that guy enjoy himself now and then.

I'm in the minority here-but it feels good to have the World Champion New York Yankees back.

Dont hold back if you gotta gush--go right ahead

Ive certainly had my time at it-and I know what its like when stuff is bursting out of you, you feel like you can easily jump to the moon, and have 4 trillion things to say----I wont rain on your parade...........

.........Everyone knows Jeter and Mariano are headed for the Hall of Fame.

I was wondering this morning if Andy Petitte and Jorge Posada will go as well by virtue of being on 5 championships.

I guess that will play out in time but it is quite a accomplishment.

Its gotta be feeling good over there today.

as far as minorities it looks like its pretty much you and me here now

Edited by mstar1