GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

It's crazy they don't sell out constantly . . . . Maybe now they'll build a larger fan base . . . I do admire the club of the past few years, and am glad they are no longer the perennial basement of the AL East.

In '08 I had a stack of tickets to Cincy, but usually I wanted to stay home and watch the Sox on MLB.tv. I couldn't even give the tickets away, so I thru them in the trash.

Course, in Tampa, the Sox would come around more often.

(And nice to see you're back here . . . I was starting to wonder :))

Sorry about the lyme disease. When did that curse back there happen ?

Activity on this board is usually determined by whether the Red Sox are winning. If they're going well, there's lots of posts. Otherwise nothing. Just my observation and useless two cents.

Well I haven't posted in this thread much. I'm a Cubs Fan.

Yeah,... I know, tha explains it, don't it?

On the other hand, as other teams break records, we're getting awful close to the point where I can say we only win one out of everyt three games we play.

Still the red an Blue Hat goes on my head when I go out. The one with the C on it.

Go Cubs GO!!!

. . .

Activity on this board is usually determined by whether the Red Sox are winning. If they're going well, there's lots of posts. Otherwise nothing. Just my observation and useless two cents.

I think sox fans everywhere have been slightly distracted for the past month . . .

Welcome Gen! Always room for a Cubs fan down here! ( or a little league fan, a stickball fan, a wiffleball fan or a Toledo Mudhens fan for that matter)...I like them all but Hiway is right, Im pretty parochial about the Red Sox and if they're doing good I generally post a lot more---add your two cents or twelve dollars about whatevers on your mind while you're here..

I'd be curious what baseball happenings go on in Ireland myself.

I think its the Celts

I just came onto this thread thinking about the Cs.

:biglaugh:

Likewise--They're peaking at just the right time--darn, theyre playing good these days.

Maybe we'll get a Celts/Lakers final and we can divert into that for a bit

Edited by mstar1

well Pheonix might still have something to say about it . . . my mind will likely be focused toward basketball for the next 2-3 wks . . .

after that it will be free to focus on this season's version of the A.L. East vs Philly . . .

I'm still something of a C's fan though, and root for them over the L's.

Celts/Lakers seems like the american way or something,

Im not as big a basketball fan as I once was but I do go back to the days of John Havlicek and Bill Russell vs Elgin Baylor and Jerry West--The battles are aalways good...I have a Sox game next week and will be expecting 35,000 at Fenway chanting "Beat LA"

Since you are a C's fan, I just may have to send you a Beat LA T-shirt and make you an honorary Boston Hooligan for a week or so :biglaugh: :o :B)

I don't recall ever feeling so bad watching a ballgame as that Detroit game. Stunned, angry, helpless.

The pitcher, Galarraga, showed nothing but class afterward-more than he needed to,really.

The umpire knows he blew it big time, and I wonder how it will affect him.

Just a disaster.

Congrats to Junior. See you at the Hall of Fame ceremony in 2015.

True enough ..... but it WAS during a perfect game with 2 outs in the ninth....I didnt think it was all that close and still dont, it looked like full step to me.

The umpire freely admits he got the call wrong.....I understand umps are human and make mistakes, but that was a bad call at the very worst possible time.

Galaragga may never ever have that chance at baseball immortality ever again, it shouldnt have ended like that. I hope that Selig at least gives him an asterick (like Ernie Shores) and includes himin the list of perfect games--He earned it

Edited by mstar1

I understand umps are human and make mistakes...

I've been advocating for instant replay and electronically-called balls and strikes for years. A missed call on just one pitch can determine the outcome of a game (even an important one).

The electronically-called balls and strikes will probably never happen (nobody I've talked to seems to like the idea). I guess people prefer to keep the errors umpires make as part of the game.

I still think the biggest travesty was taking away Harvey Haddix's memorial game.

Haddix will always be remembered for taking a perfect game into the 13th inning of a game against the Milwaukee Braves on May 26, 1959. Haddix retired 36 consecutive batters in 12 innings essentially relying on two pitches: fastball and slider.

Haddix's 12 and 2/3-inning, one-hit complete game, against the team that had just represented the NL in the previous two World Series, is considered by many to be the best pitching performance in major league history.

Unfortunately he lost it in the 13th inning.

Edited by bulwinkl

Unfortunately he lost it in the 13th inning.

I miss the days when pitchers used to pitch complete games (yeah, I'm that old).

Did you know that Juan Marichal once pitched 16 scoreless innings? His opponent, Warren Spahn pitched 15 1/3. The SF Giants beat the Milwaukee Braves, 1-0 that night

See the box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN196307020.shtml

In other news, Vin Scully doesn't broadcast road games out of the western division anymore, but he will be in Boston for the series with the Sox. I would strongly recommend those in the area to find out how to hear him call those games. In this day of internet , cable, satellite radio, etc, it has to be possible.

Vin began his career in 1949,, calling a Maryland-Boston U football game atop the press box at Fenway Park. It was cold, windy, and Vin was without a coat. His papers were blowing everywhere, and he just dealt with it.

He was hired by the Dodgers a few months later. That's 60 years-and he's as good, no better, today, as he was in 1950.

Red Sox fans-don't let this opportunity pass you by.