GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I don't know, I'm not that put off by the Fox broadcasts...Then again, I'm often doing something else as well when I tune in a ball game so I may not grasp every word McCarver and Buck say...I think there may be some listeners who have their own prejudices, and well, it is Fox, which could be spelled Faux,and nothing good could possibly come out of that broadcasting company....

My favorite to listen to is Jon Miller and Joe Morgan...Especially during the season---Sunday Night Baseball,...meaningless (to me) game, two calm, knowledgeable, smooth voices working off eachother reminding me of why I tuned in the game in the first place----to kick back and relax...I heard them a little bit on the radio during the W. S., but it wasn't quite the same with the stakes being so high...My son and I like to mimic the way Miller says "fow-ull" on a non-fair ball...

Radio broadcasts seem to take on their own flavor...Often more "homeric" than the tv guys ( you oughta hear Ron Santo on the radio when the Cubs blow a game,...you'd think his old lady just left him), they do have to paint a different picture...I think there's two kinds of radio listeners---the old-timers in the chair next to the radio taking in every word....and the listener who has the game on because, well, they're playing, and they have to keep up with the action as it happens, and even though may also be busy doing something else, when the radio announcer yells and the crowd screams, they momentarily stop sweeping, or hammering, or wrench twisting, or typing and point their ear a little closer to the radio to fully take-in what just happened,...pump their fist a little, utter "Yes!" and resume doing whatever it is they were doing...

I don't think you could avoid the east coast bias in any live sports coverage...Prime time in NYC is five o'clock in San Francisco during the summer...Plus, you got more people in NYC than Milwaukee, Cincinnati,KC, Frisco and probably also San Diego combined...Seems like when eastern teams are in the playoffs, they start the games later to draw in the neutral west coast viewers, and when it's western teams they start earlier to draw in east coast viewers...by the time I tuned in most games this Series, they were already in the third or fourth inning...

Scully's the man, highway. Longest running career calling for a team. He's been there for a lot of great moments.

I tend to get intent on the game, simonzelotes, alternate a little with the radio but try to follow the game pretty closely. Not all, throughout a season I'll miss some of course or have to catch bits of others. I do really enjoy those games when I can drill in on it for the full duration.

Jon and Joe are great, agree with that totally. The Buck/McCarver debacles bug me for several reasons, and to enjoy the post season especially I had to figure out what was bugging me -

-The actual sound of their voices. Buck has a tendency to sound like a blowhard, to my ears. It's something in the twist of his inflection. Not always but a great deal of the time. He has a good broadcaster's voice but tends to sound nonchalant and cutting at the same time. Maybe he's not, but many people take him that way. McCarver really gets a nasally whiney sound to his voice when he gets going. Many people seem to agree with that too. I was actually surprised this year to find out that so many others dislike their broadcasts, I'd never done much more than endure it and move on.

-They seems like critics more than broadcasters. They don't call the game in a precise reliable way, where a rhythm is established throughout the game. So it comes across disjointed. The game is the primary reason I watch and whoever's broadcasting needs to be integrated into the game. They just don't for some reason, to me.

-Compared to others, they don't seem professionals. I don't get a real sense of who they are or what they bring to the game, so they come off like add-ons, paid heads who talk.

Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper are just the opposite. Krukow certainly doesn't have a classic "voice" for this stuff, but he sounds passionate and engaged. His knowledge serves the game as it's going on, not the other way around, so he makes a strong impression without having to seem forced. Same with Kuiper who's voice is much deeper and resonant. He keeps the calls going and tracks to the game, while adding his own touch. They both give the feeling of the game, it's ups and downs and get truly excited when there are big plays.

That seems like what the greats do - they're there for the game and the players nd the fans. When it's legit it comes across.

:)

I read there's a way to accomplish that. I guess you record your program and set the playback to the length of the delay in radio or streaming on the internet, something to that effect. Might be worth the time.

SF did the World Series salute and it was a grand day for all yesterday. The entire day, parade and presentations are running on Sportsnet cable here. Very cool. Where I work the Media department set up screens and kicked in the projectors to show the parade as it occurred, spanning over most of the employee's lunch times, so I saw about an hour of it from 11 - noon or so.

My motto's "good is where you find it" and there was a lot of good floating in the air around here this week. Although it's entertainment there's a lot going on in the game and in this series for this area of northern California. I was pleased that the election results which so often are just an extension of the BS that goes on between the candidates all year were over shadowed by this event and instead of hearing all day about the wrangling over results there was excitement for something that individuals could share in and celebrate without running down the opposition. Well, there was some of that too but it was a kind of model for what a large group of people could do if they supported each other and worked together instead of constantly accusing and tearing each other down.

Maybe we should see if Bochy would run for office, he might manage to steer clear of the toxic effects long enough to get a few more runs for us.

there was a lot of good floating in the air around here this week.

Cool---thats the feeling that I love, there is something about winning the WS that makes your step alittle lighter, your smile a little broader and your good cheer a little more authentic.

I had my own little unexpected cool thing happen today..I know Hiway will appreciate---I was traveling between Delaware and DC and as usually happens I just had to stop to let nature take its course--so I hopped into the first rest area and hot footed it in to the mens room.

I was enjoying the relief at the urinal when this little fella stood next to me at the next one..I KNOW its the unwritten rule that you never look at the guy next to you, and I usually I never do--- but for some reaason I took a peek out of the corner of my eye and dam if it wasnt Yogi Berra hisownself!! :biglaugh:

I know you cant talk in that situation, even though my mind was reeling-- so I went and washed my hands for a a little bit of time waiting for him until he came to the sink next to me then I struck up a short conversation...which was pure Yogi .

I suppose if you have to meet Yogi once in this life thats the perfect way --at least it was for me---no tickets--no events--just in the most down to earth common everyday way---just like Yogi is....

We later took a few pictures(OUTSIDE!)if I can figure out how to get them off my phone I'll post them when I get back home...

Well, I'm amazed, and a little jealous ! You must have some 6th sense that brings you to the right places.

That IS the perfect way to meet Yogi. When you came to the fork in the road, you took it.

The older I get, the more I think Yogi just may be my favorite player, ever. I hope you can figure out how to post the pics.

I'll figure it out some time next week--yesterday was one of those srange days when a lot of unplanned cool things fell into my lap seemingly out of the blue...one after the other--I wish that would happen everyday, but once in awhile is still good!! I know when I came to the fork in the road I took it--but you can also observe a lot just by watching.

...cool things happen sometimes...soon as I saw him I was thinking of you Hiway and all the posts you've had here.

I'll figure it out and get the pics up for you, I'll pair em up in threes :anim-smile:

Look forward to those pice mstar! Nice way to see Yogi!

Stall Sightings - I went into an airport Men's room once and in walked Paul Shaeffer (SNL, Letterman, etc. etc. ) and hits the stall two down from me. I recognized him immediately and I figured, well, everyone needs a moment of peace here if nowhere else. Door in opens up and a guy's shouting Paul! You're the man! Love it! and on and on, I guess he'd seen him going in. Shaeffer kind of grunted "Huhh! Uhh huh!" and I thought for a minute the guy was going to come in but he left. Heard a long sigh, and we hit the sinks together. Said "I play guitar. Love the music, man" and he said "Thanks" and walked out, that guy and a buddy following him now. Strange sighting.

i love you guys with this talkin' sport

what in the heck is my kid and his friends going on about lowering jeter's salary in the same breath as acquiring cliff lee ?

i'll tell you who i love is that kid who pitches for the giants -- long hair tattoos and that cap -- are the yankees going to try and get him ?

where is the commercial about his dad teaching him with looking down at a dollar bill or something

what in the heck is my kid and his friends going on about lowering jeter's salary in the same breath as acquiring cliff lee ?

I don't want Cliff Lee! The SOB beat us twice last year in the WS. Heck, I hated it when we got Roger Clemens in 1999 -- he was always the enemy!

I have to say I think they're all overpaid. I thought Reggie Jackson and Goose Gossage were overpaid when they were making $1 million a year -- and love those guys!

I mean, why don't we just give Cliff Lee a billion dollars and be done with it?

We the fans pay, no one else.

Jeter's made a lot of dough - 21 ? mill last year and close to that a year for the last - what? He's a near-20 mill average for quite awhile I believe.

As a free agent now I'd expect that the Yankees will want to keep him, cut a deal but how much more can the offer and budget competitively for players? Dunno.

Lee makes quite bit less than that now with the Rangers, and if they want Lee they're going to have to do their usual wheel barrel of money to get him. How much is he worth? How much can they pay? They need pitching and they're early contenders with initial contact.

Can't see NY or Jeter wanting to change anything. The top 10 made between 18 and 33 mill last year. That's a lot of hot dogs and programs. And stuff.

Ticket prices won't go down as salaries keep going up. I agree they're out of bounds at this point.

Giants owners and management are working on their rebuild post-Bonds with an emphasis on scouting and their farm teams, building an organizaton from within their own ranks. A combo of that with some mid year scrambling this year worked.

They're looking at keeping things pretty much the same next year from what I read in the SF Chron today and recent interviews. They've put Sandoval on notice apparently, get in shape and show up in Spring ready to compete for a spot in the lineup. Sabean admits they may have made it hard for him by branding the Giants so strongly around him. They worked with him all this year. Now he's got to want it bad enough to do what he needs to do. They've been fair and reasonable. I expect him to do just that. Zito's got to be the Zito, right now he's got a lot of cred' from the post season as a stand up guy who made a boatload of money not playing. Again, I think he'll do it, he's got the stuff. But I doubt they'll be throwing that kind of money down again for anyone soon. Their 4 starting pitchers are all in place for awhile.

They'll be able to build on the "team" draw if they continue as they are, with key players and an overall lineup tha draws. Right now they've got a full 10-15 players that can be followed and watched if you're a fan, with a few standout personalities. They're in a good spot IMO.

Lee? Guess he'll have to decide. He's be wise to stay with the Ranger IMO. He's got a lot of support there.

Timmy Jim as he's called - hard not to like him. Still has that vibe as "the kid" going. He'll likely still be the Kid at 30. :) I like him too excadet.

I know some of the buzz outside the fan base gets dulled by the fact he's not a classic baseball stud but when you pitch like he does - what's not to like? He's succeeded by being authentic. Everyone calls him "Timmy". That's who he is. It's probably hard for him at times but he's done well to not try and be anything but who he is.

Brian Wilson I like too. He needs to lose the "Machine" thing, it's a joke that had a very short life to it. Hope someone gave him the 411 after Leno - retire the Machine. He doesn't need it and the Giants definitely don't. :nono5: They won, he's The Beard. Fear the Beard, it's fun. That's not.

Ticket prices won't go down as salaries keep going up.

The Mets are actually lowering ticket prices for 2011. Don't choke on your coffee. :)

I agree they're out of bounds at this point.

They've been out of bounds since Geroge Steinbrenner inflated salaries in the late 1970s.

Latest word is that the Yankees offered Jeter $45 million over three years, and basically told him to shop around and see if he could do better.

Somebody'll probably turn around and say it's an insult to offer him $15 million a year and say take it or leave it.

Latest word is that the Yankees offered Jeter $45 million over three years, and basically told him to shop around and see if he could do better.

Somebody'll probably turn around and say it's an insult to offer him $15 million a year and say take it or leave it.

Its been said--I would like to be so insulted--

but then again Im not the face of a major organization....

A poor choice of words by Cashman. I expect its more about the 4th year and a few more $mil.

I can see both sides from a business standpoint but he's not going anywhere.

He would be crazy to sign with anyone else.

He'll be the toast and hero of New York until he is 90 anyway ... why risk that by signing with some other team for one extra year?

This has been coming for awhile--too bad the yanks are all full up at first, third and the outfield..they are even overloaded with DH's...so they cant really move him around as he slows at short....

Its a dilemma for Cashman--

I'd give him at least 3/50m with at least an option for the 4th.

It would be much better for baseball and abetter story if Jeter finished his career classily with the Yanks and didnt end up like most players do bouncing around a bunch of teams

Edited by mstar1