GreaseSpot Cafe

Boston Red Sox - New York Yankees

excathedra

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolshevik -- Your Red Sox are here in Minney-soda.

I was hoping the Twins could do a sweep,

but after tonight -- I'm hoping for a 2 out of 3 win for the Twins.

(Our *twinkies* haven't been playing real well -- lately!)

:(

Based on their record the Twins should be one of the better teams the Sox have played thus far. Should be a good series. (wish I could watch, most of the games I see are via "Gameday")

Yup, that they did. The series is tied at one each.

Santana gave up a few.

It was pretty much lifeless, until the top of the ninth.

Well the Sox won this series, 2 games-to-one. Guess they don't cross paths again until the end of September.

• 2 weeks later...

Im tied up with work and out of town tomorrow probably for a few days, but the way things have been going so far this is one time I'd love to be in the Bronx.

I know the sox have played well, jelled early as a team, and (knock wood) avoided any serious setbacks, and the Yankees havent been so lucky so far.... still 11 games between them doesnt tell the whole story, they are really a lot closer than that.

I like these games because most times these two great teams seem to bring out the best in each other, the level of competition slightly rises and 9 times out of 10 are great games....of course i'd love to see a sweep, but hopefully at the least we'll get three well played exciting games.

Wakefield vs. Wang Monday night

I think a division where every team but one sucks is nothing to be excited about. The AL East is a borefest in May, and you can be sure attendance willstart to drop for the last months.

Of course Sox fan is giddy-he he he-and why not. Coasting to the playoffs with no pressure is a fans dream.

I'm glad there are other divisions that actually have some pennant races.

Dodger Stadium is infinitely more convenient for me.

I dont know why but that struck me as hilarious,,, well considering you live in LA and all.

-------------------------------------------------------

I take exception too with the 'division where all but one team suck" or however you put it--The thing is, none of them suck, ]so far this is just the way the chips have fallen, some teams have been beleaguered by injuries early, Yankees, Toronto, --one of the toughest division foes for the Red Sox believe it or not has always been Tampa Bay. So far it looks lopsided-but there isnt that great a difference in ability of at least Boston/NY/Toronto

an 11 game lead in May is nice, but certainly nothing to be content about---or worry about coasting, So far the Red Sox have been good-very good, but the inevitable slumps of the season, and.or major injuries that all teams experience over the course of the season havent hit them..its very early yet. NY/Toronto havent hit their own hot spells yet---These things balance out over 162 games

3 Years ago the Sox were 11 out in early August and pulled to within 1 1/2 games by September 1st.

I like our position but nobody is counting anything yet--there is still 120 or so games left.

-------------------

Wave hopefull! We'll be watching!

(well I will be anyway)

Maybe I'm a bit rash with the 'suck' evaluation, since that's a word I rarely use, and I cringe whenever I hear someone shouting it at a ballgame.

I still contend that a double digit lead in May over every team in the division does not speak highly of those teams. Or maybe the Sox are the '27 Yankees. '67 Bosox. and '55 Dodgers combined.We'll see what's what at the all star break.

Even when I lived in Connecticut, I found Yankee Stadium difficult to get to. My parents brought me to ONE game growing up. When I was old enough to get there myself, I found driving in NYC something to avoid at all costs. This meant taking the train to Grand Central, then subway to the Bronx-about a 2 1/2 hour trek.

My 10 minute drive to Dodger Stadium, and access to decent seats on any given night is a dream come true in comparison,so it is 'infinitely more convenient' .

so far the thing that has really made a difference with the Red Sox as far as i can tell is that the starting pitching which has consistantly been going 7, usually good innings--- That also leaves the bullpen, which was thought of as 'iffy' at the beginning of the season, well rested and mostly effective.

If that doesnt happen (which is always a question mark,) then they are pretty much in the same situation as everyone else in the division, nothing else has been monumental, some players are consistant, some slump, some mini streak, like normal.

So far thankfully the pitching has mostly carried the day, and unlike the other teams there have been no major injuries, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues....maybe they'll be the 27yankees, maybe the 64 phillies (perish the thought...),

So far they are playing well ( well duh...) but they're not really hitting on all cylinders like they could, plus the division has been best with a pile of injuries. Its been fun but they havent won it all yet--Its a long long way to October....

------------

Sounds like a dream living situation to me, baseball wise at least...If i ever decide to do city livin again, that would definitely be the way to go..

Edited by mstar1

Well then the hittin' could eventually explode then, couldn't it?

Doesn't Wakefield's knuckleball improve as the weather cools?

I know it's a long way to go, but I believe they'll get the division (finally)

I dont know, ive been watching him for about 12(?) years now and I dont know, there doesnt seem to be a pattern to it. I doubt even Wakefield knows, you never really know what it going to do on any given night.

I love Tim Wakefield, he has done everything over a long time and been a good team and civic minded guy, but the knuckler is a huge enigma.

Toronto thought that he did better in a dome, so they opened up the dome, exposing their fans on a cold cold night and he still shut them down, other times, he can streak as hes done and be 14-1 with a miniscule ERA or (like parts of 02) you swear that he is capable of blowing a 98 run lead.

It seems to either be total beguiling, or else not working at all, all that can seemingly be done is direct it to the plate, execute well and pray, I havent seen any specific pattern to it..The knuckler is like life that way, you direct it as best you can but you never really know... Maybe there will be streaks of brilliance, other periods where nothing goes right, but by end by of the year you'll probably be a little over .500 and contribute something to the greater good..

Wouldn't suprise me if the knuckleball was a little more effective as the weather cooled - the cooler air is slightly more dense - and the nature of a knuckleball - tossed around by every wind of doctrine - would likely jump around a little more.

Anyway, I luv to "hate the Yankees" - esp. to see the Red Sox beat them.

That's my $0.02.

Per