GreaseSpot Cafe

Boston Red Sox - New York Yankees

excathedra

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe

I'd think almost blowing a 14 1/2 game lead would be enough of a wake up call.

the playoffs are "a whole new ball game". After the first pitch against the Angels, whatever went before is ancient history.

But congrats to the Sox . I've never said they aren't an excellent team-even with the Dodgers castoffs-Drew, Lugo, and Gagne

Why generalize man!!
Im not generalizing, I know there are good Yankee fans, I know a lot of them, but where in Boston/New England you may get some playful verbal sparring, in NY it can be, more often than you think, downright dangerous to be a Red Sox fan

More Love from Yankee fans

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Red Sox fan assaulted in New York

By John C. Drake, Globe Staff

A 25-year-old carpenter from Quincy is in serious condition after he was assaulted outside a Yonkers, N.Y. hotel last night by a group of men he said had earlier asked about his allegiance to the Red Sox.

Two men were arrested in the assault, authorities said.

Carlos Ortez was watching the Red Sox-Angels playoff game in the lounge of a Ramada Inn with other workers for Holden-based Woodmeister Master Builders, who were in town working on a construction project at a Manhattan hotel.

Ortez was sitting at the bar with co-worker Walter Ostromecki, 30, of North Brookfield, who was wearing a Red Sox hat and T-shirt, when another patron at the end of the bar asked the two men whether they had pride in Boston, said Lieutenant Philip Collins of the Yonkers Police.

Immediately after the 4-0 Red Sox win, the two men left the hotel, when they were approached from behind by the man who'd made the earlier comment, along with two other men.

Ortez and Ostromecki walked in opposite directions, but then Ostromecki looked back and saw Ortez was being attacked. As Ostromecki approached them, the assailants ran toward a parking lot.

Ortez was lying in a pool of blood and his face was swollen. He's in intensive care with multiple facial fractures at Westchester Medical Center, said Chris Komenda, of Woodmeister Master Builders.

Duane Somers, 32, of Huntingdon, Pa., and Edward McConaughey, 42, of Orbisonia, Pa., were arrested and charged with second-degree felony assault, said Lucian Chalfen, a spokesman for the Westchester District Attorney's office.

They were arraigned this morning, and their bail was set at $10,000 apiece, Chalfen said. He could not say whether they had made bail. A Westchester County Jail employee said the men were not listed as inmates. They are set to appear in court again Wednesday, Chalfen said.

Komenda said two executives from the firm are at the hospital with Ortez, and that the other four employees have been moved to a different hotel.

mstar-you have outright categorized Yankee fans as untrustworthy, criminal, and people you have to have 'an eye' on. Those are your words. It really has taken much of the enjoyment out of coming in here for me. The more you're asked about it, the more your true feelings emerge.

..and you have the same for Red Sox fans--- How obnoxious and horrible--etc. -they are...(but I have yet to read any actual stories)

It also makes it hard to enjoy a game here when you always have some dig on the Red Sox, for whatever reasons you hold...(its baffling on this end...)

This is a real news story about a real man in a real hospital in real intensive care for wearing the wrong hat in NY.

You have no comment on that but want to make it about me????

A few weeks ago, you didnt seem to believe me, about my perceptions of going to a game in New York.

This article from today, is not an opinion but a real fact of the reality of what it can be like to be a Red Sox fan in NY.

If you want to be blame me, for pointing this out, or blame the kid, who got the Red Sox Suck autograph from a Yankee, instead of looking at the obviously disturbed individuals and recognizing that it is an actual real problem then so be it.

Your choice, in my estimation, this kind of activity is absolutely inexcusable and it doesnt go away because you pretend it doesnt exist. It does whether you want to admit it or not.

In truth I have no desire to have to talk about it either, There is playoff baseball being played, the best baseball of the year, that is much more important and thats 90% of my focus this time of the year. Its exciting (Duh)

You were the one who started this whole thing with your near constant harping or subtle digs on Red Sox fans, It is NOT an objective viewpoint, The two cities are different, and the fans, although both loud are very different.

Ill offer you a truce if you stop harping on Red Sox fans, and let people cheer for who they want without the snide and snarky remarks, then I'lll refrain from posting news stories that point out the difference

The violence described has nothing to do with 'fans'. They're detestable people that unfortunately exist everywhere, and no more represent the Yankees and their fans than any other criminal.

It is a sad reflection of how far some people take this stuff seriously. It's one reason I've gotten out of Dodge, and enjoy laid back So Cal baseball-except I was in the parking lot the night a Dodger 'fan' killed someone in a Giant hat.

From my perspective, I've not accused Red Sox fans of being anything other than fans like anyone else. You're the one who's elevated them to a special status, being somehow 'better people' than Yankee fans.

I'm all done. I've probably said things I wish I didn't here-you've never backed off on anything, and that's fine.

The way the Yankees are playing, it doesn't look like an AL east playoff, but if it does happen, I have no desire to get into a p*ssing contest.