GreaseSpot Cafe

Boston Red Sox - New York Yankees

excathedra

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am out of words-

This is the stuff of legends, to not only be down 3-0, but to be down in the ninth inning of the 4th game--in a sense it had to be this way for the redemption to be complete. I love these guys, I love how they play but most of all i love the way they play together as a team and genuinely love, respect, care and believe in one another--everybody contributed--without Dave Roberts coming into to pinchrun in the ninth inning of game 4 and stealing second --there is no more series...when all of the East Coast was screaming to take Bellhorn out of the lineup, Francona leaves him in and he gets a gamewinning HR in game 6, same goes for Johnny Damon, who should be in the top 5 AL MVP voting, who was quiet during this series but saved his best for last, Jason Varitek fouling off about 10 pitches before getting a go ahead RBI-never mind catching every inning of this crazy series- the bullpen that stepped up to the plate and performed beyond belief....

Is this real or is it a dream? losses under Schilling and Martinez in Games one and two, then getting hammered 19-8 in game three--I even posted an obituary---forgive me for giving up momentarily---

For me it still hasnt sunk in, I am completely drained as is most of Red Sox Nation this morning...Ex. after waiting- well for me since about 1966-I am somewhere between joy and tears of gratitude.

If Boston wins it all, I think the Yanks would be exonerated cause the curse is lifted. If Boston doesn't, the Yanks really really choked, and need a real shake up.

Keep these:

Matsui

Olerud

Sheffield

Mussina

Everyone else should go including Torre, and especially the most overrated player in the game, Alex Rodriguez.

Amen to that Simon--

back to that in just a minute --- first off, Im appealing for a little help at 3PM Eastern Time today---anybody who wants to help me get my hands on some tickets I will reward as best I can-----or come to Boston and have the time of your life with me...

10/21/2004 1:24 AM ET

Red Sox World Series tickets available by phone Thursday

BOSTON -- A limited number of tickets for Games 1, 2, 6 and 7 of the 2004 World Series, which will be played at Fenway Park, will be available by telephone only (while supplies last) beginning at 3 p.m. tomorrow (Thursday, October 21).

Fans who registered and were selected in the random online drawing for the opportunity to purchase tickets for the World Series were notified via e-mail today. The post-season ticket purchasing program is presented by PC Connection.

Fans may call touch-tone ticketing at (617) 482-4SOX beginning at 3 p.m. tomorrow (Thursday, October 21). Fans with disabilities may call (877) RED-SOX9 beginning at 3 p.m. tomorrow to purchase accessible seating (while supplies last). The Red Sox' TTY number is (617) 226-6644.

No tickets will be sold at the Fenway Park ticket office.

There will be a one-game, two-ticket purchase limit per customer. Ticket prices for the World Series, as established by Major League Baseball, are $190 for Box seats, $145 for Grandstand seats, $70 for Bleacher seats and $50 for standing room. All orders will include a $6 per ticket and $14 per transaction fee.

The Red Sox, who won their 11th American League championship tonight in New York, will face either the Houston Astros or St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series. Fenway Park will play host to Game 1 (Saturday, October 23), Game 2 (Sunday, October 24) and, if necessary, Game 6 (Saturday, October 30) and Game 7 (Sunday, October 31).

MAN THE PHONES!!

ALL OF 'EM!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> and Best seats you can get, I will send them my arm, a pound of flesh, all of my blood and my soul if necessary....

IF I gotta choose one game make it 6 or 7 first, (tough call if it should only go 6, but 7 could be the ultimate game of this eternity), so its a tossup between 6 and 7 then 1 and 2

thanks--

I Love this and love you too..

more photos

I spoke up during the game, but haven't said anything since...

"Hell Freezes Over" pretty much captured it. Who would have thought after the Saturday night spanking that Boston would have anything left?

Congrats to a team that earned it. And good luck in the series. I'll be pulling for you: it's time to reverse the curse. I would hate to see you beat my Yankees only to lose the friggin Series.

I saw Boston play in Oakland this year and thought they were a very good team. I thought they could beat the Yankees. However, when they were down 3 games to 0, I wrote them off like everybody else. What a great comeback I can only say. This has never been done before being that far behind in a major league play-off series and coming back to win it. Congratulations Red Sox. With such a great come back you might even win the World Series this year and even if you have to play St. Louis.

Thanks for trying Ex-I read in the Boston papers today that the entire area code experienced a meltdown at 3 PM yesterday-I know I did my part icon_wink.gif;)--> trying on 3 phones simultaneously...So far no tix for me and Im not sure if I am going to ante up to a scalper just yet--but I may go back and forth and hang outside Fenway at the least--I dont know yet...

The Red Sox apparently were able to pull the original ST L sign for the manual scoreboard out of mothballs from the 46 and 67 series and it is hanging ready for a different ending this time..

Should we start a World Series thread? I'll leave the honors to our Rev. Mother Ex since she did so well last time and I'm feeling more superstitious than normal this last week....

This series will probably get really political. John Kerry's home state against a team whose owner is a regular contributor to the Bush campaign. I hear the Boston media is already starting to trash talk.

I remember the '67 series. Game 7 in Boston. The Cardinals were all but running on fumes by then. The front page headline in the Boston Globe read 'LONDBERG AND CHAMPAGNE', Londberg being Boston's 22 game winning ace who started that game. Cardinal players were PO'd at the headline. Be careful, now.

I remember that newspaper and probably still have it stashed away somewhere, I was at the 6th game in 67 as a 12 year old when the Sox hit 4 homeruns to bring it to a 7th game, and remember the excitement of Lonborg vs. Gibson, both had been phenomenal in the series, Lonborg having thrown 1 and 3 hitters, and going on 2 days rest in the 7th. The 7th game was a bit of a letdown but still the magic of that whole summer captured me for life. Its only appropriate that their is a rematch with the Cards..

I dont know if the papers or the players will do any trash talking, I doubt it. Its easy with the Yankees. The Cards, the organization and the Fans of St Louis have too much class and are too respectable. I like to think that the RedSox do to especially under the new ownership. Granted some of us fans by nature are a little obnoxious (well a lot sometimes) but we are learning to take things one step at atime with focus and gratitude...

and Ex thanks for trying I too was praying and cussing at the phone, 'tis Ok whatever happens. I am starting to come back down to earth after a frazzling week of no sleep and somewhat of living in an altered reality. Its not every week that ghosts, spirits, and curses of demons past are exorcised, you watch as an empire fall or long lost hopes rekindle a lost spark.

I know its only a game, but it represents and symbolizes a lot. Its good to know that the good guys, no matter how eccentric can do it right and be on top.....

I dont want to speak too soon...there is still another week to go

This series looks now like it could go either way; 7 18 inning games. The Red Sox have got to have some serious team focus to come back from 0-3. Two extra inning games to boot. They got contributions from the whole lineup. I did feel that Ortiz was the right choice for MVP.

But as a Cardinal fan, it feels good right now because they looked so lame in both the 2000 and 2002 NLCS's and this year's Houston team IMO is way better than the Mets and Giants teams that beat them in those other NLCS's. The Cardinals have good momentum just like the Red Sox. Even a marginal baseball fan has got to be really excited about this series.

In a related matter, I read something awhile back that angered me. Elston Howard was the first black player the Yankees ever signed. He was originally an outfielder, but the Yankee organization made him a catcher while he was still in the minors. Could it be that Mickey Mantle did not want to risk being shown up by a black player at that time? And since the Yankees already had a "pretty good" catcher named Yogi Berra, could it be that they switched Elston to catcher for the purpose of delaying, if not eliminating the time Elston would get to the majors?

Didn't work. EHs rookie year was 1954, 3 years after Mantle's. He was AL MVP in 1963. AND as a late season acquisition by the Red Sox in '67, his contribution very well may have been what gave Boston the pennant that year. Remember? Boston finished the season 1/2 game ahead of Detroit, 1 game ahead of Minnesota, and the White Sox were hanging around till the end as well.