GreaseSpot Cafe

Boston Red Sox - New York Yankees

excathedra

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could I forget 67?

'Old men forget;yet all shall be forgot, but he'll remember with advantages what feats he did that day-then shall our names Familiar in his mouth as household words, Yaz the king, Lonborg and Petrocelli, Scott and Howard, Adair and Smith be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd. This story shall the good man teach his son. And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day to the ending of the world when they in it shall be remembered ; We few we happy few , we band of brothers......"

Sorry got carried away--apologies to Shakespeare, Kenneth Branagh, and Henry V.

I wasnt aware of that Ellie Howard story oof the Yanks but it makes sense for the time, he was a late season acquisition of the Sox that year and definitely added alot of experience and savvy to a young team.He made some unbelievable plays down the stretch that believe it or not the Boston faithful still talk about.

What a race that was 4 teams until the last 2-3 days and 3 until the last day -I can still see Petriocelli catching the popup on the last day of the season as the RedSox came from behind to beat Dean Chance. Jim Lonborg pitches a complete game and was mobbed on the field having his uniforn ripped off... Yastremski did indeed win the triple crown 44HR, ..326 121 RBI's and his last two weeks of the season are still arguably the best two weeks any player has had in such a clutch situation... alot of memories for an impressionable kid.. As I remember it the Cards pretty much ran away with it that year., with Orlando Cepeda the MVP, and the likes of Brock, Shannon, Curt Flood, Tim MacCarver, Dal Maxvill, Julian Javier, Roger Maris and of course Bob Gibson. I think they had a pair of rookies (Nelson Briles and Dick Hughes) who won about 16 apiece, for some reason I remeber they used to take infield with a red and white ball that year....

Brock was phenomenal in that series-near unbelieavable and makes me wonder who the hell was Ernie Broglio, but then again we got Jason Varitekand Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb, so maybe some St. Louis yougsters will be growing up wondering about him...we'll see..

Last time we took the Cards to 7 games, t would be alright in my book to see it go seven again-partially beacause I hate to see this season end and want it to last as long as possible and partially because the 7th game is scheduled for Halloween night at Fenway and I cant think of a better and more appropriate way to finally exorcise this damn ghost thats been trying to follow us around.

Its on....

Go get em Wake

For those who don't remember 1967, that was the Impossible Dream year. I can remember the entire lineup. Dick Williams was a rookie manager that year leading the Red Sox to the pennant. Jim Lonborg was 22-9 and the star pitcher. Russ Gibson and Elston Howard were the catchers. First base was George Scott, who hit 19 homers that year and batted over .300. Mike Andrews was at second, Rico Petrocelli was at shortstop, Joe Foy was famous for grand slam home runs and played third. Tony Conigliaro played right field until he was beaned and was replaced by Ken Harrelson, also called the "Hawk". Reggie Smith played center field and Carl Yazstremski played the wall, the green monster in left field. Yaz won the triple crown that year. Also a rookie pitcher named Billy Rohr almost pitched a no-hit game in his first major league start.

I know the season by heart.

We lost to the St. Louis Cardinals that year in seven games. Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and Curt Flood dominated the Cardinals in the World Series.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that Billy Rohr game like it was yesterday, having become a huge fan in 1966. It was early April 67 and a cold day in Yankee Stadium, Tom Tresh lead off the ninth with a drive deep to left and Yastrzemski made probably the best catch I have ever seen, going straight back hard and diving for a ball directly over his head and coming down with the ball.

It was electrifying saving what was up til that time was a no-hitter.

Elston Howard got a hit to right with two out in the ninth to spoil it, but it pointed to something different happening that year from what had been a very lackluster period for the Red Sox.

Were you there Eagle? I lived in Fenway it seemed that summer, bleacher seats were still $1.00, I had a paper route (and an older sister who in between boyfriend breakups would take me to games) I must've gone to 25 games that year. I loved that team with a passion what a great introduction to baseball for a 12 year old.

That year reintroduced excitement and magic to the Red Sox who had been floundering for a generation.

67 in my opinion saved the franchise, in the early 60's they had been like the Expo's, I went to games where there were 4-5000 people and they regualrly finished last or near last. There was talk for awhile of moving the team. It all changed in 67 when baseball became real fun, people started to come to the park, and expected to win. it was disappointing to lose to Gibson in Game 7, but The Impossible Dream team lit a fire in New Englanders-- They've been winners more or less and a successful franchise ever since.

Billy Rohr and the 67 Sox were the start of the 1967-2004 Era that transitioned the team.

The 2004 team took the final step into a brand new Era,

That other team from NY had their century, this century belongs to us icon_wink.gif;)-->

• 1 month later...

Well its midwinter and you have to look forward to something--I just heard

The World Champions will play the ALCS Losers on ESPN Sunday Night baseball on April 3rd @8:05 Eastern to open the season...

Lets do this all again!

If David Wells starts for the Red Sox, it could set a record for the earliest in the season that Steinbrenner has blown a gasket

• 2 years later...
Okay I'll vote sox. 3-2. 1-0 up to the 7th.

Tough to predict, the Sox are pitching well with Schilling, Becket and Matsuzaka up for the series, All I know about the Yanks is that if he keeps up the pace ARod will have about 150HRS and 350 RBI's. this year

As long as the Sox starters can keep going 7, they'll be OK.

I shy away from predicting* 3-2 works for me, but if the sox are down 0-3 and win 4-3 , i'll feel right at home :wink2:

* "In baseball you dont know nuthing"

Yogi Berra

I'll take the bet that they beat that one Raf

put it up and I'll match it

Youse guys know that the RedSox-Yankers game is on ESPN (in HD) as we speak (or as I write this).

The Sox are wearing HIDEOUS green jerseys... apparently in honor of the Celtics (who, IIRC, stunk this year).

But Schilling IS on the mound.

The Sox are wearing HIDEOUS green jerseys... apparently in honor of the Celtics (who, IIRC, stunk this year).

I think it actually is in memory of Red Auerbach, who died recently (Who IIRC won 11 world chmapionships in the NBA :wink2: -never mind running the teamand changing a sport for over 50 years---Bill Russell was ready to throw out the first pitch but was rained out a few days back. Bob Cousy is in the booth on the local feed now

Its hard to believe the zone that ARod is in right now

Schilling has been battling all night and doesnt have great command of his pitches tonight. Its been that way with him early on this year, sometimes he's Curt, other times he battles like a bulldog, tonight looks like a night he is fighting without his best stuff.

I'll reiterate what I said about Arod befor

who has 11 homeruns by april 20th? He's in a zone

tie game, gotta go find someone with ESPN. . .

I have ESP(n), and an HDTV... makes watching baseball on tv feel like you're in the front row of Fenway... you're welcome to come over.

And yes... A-Rod's having quite the start to the 2007 season...

has anyone tested his urine lately ( ;) )

Ha Haa!!!!

A Rod!!! Thrrrrrpppp!!!!!

He played great. Too bad.

Not like I thought it would go, but the Red Sox won and that´ll do. Good pig.

he he, Mariano was used, and two games to go, herm, ....

LET´S GO RED SOX!!!!!!

:dance:

Yeah... Rivera probably had an incredible sense of DEJA VU (all over again)! He had a similar game in November 2001 in Phoenix... and the winning run scored on a bloop single, JUST like happened tonight at Fenway... :)