GreaseSpot Cafe

Boston Red Sox - New York Yankees

excathedra

Yeah... Rivera probably had an incredible sense of DEJA VU (all over again)! He had a similar game in November 2001 in Phoenix... and the winning run scored on a bloop single, JUST like happened tonight at Fenway... :)

Can't remember that, I was Way D, but I do know. . .

Let's go RED SOX!!!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember that, I was Way D...

It was ONLY game 7 of the most exciting world series EVER, when the Diamondbacks, on a walk-off bloop single by Luis Gonzales (now of the Dodgers) drove in Jay Bell from 3rd base in the bottom of the 9th for the winning run given up by game 7 LOSER Mariano Rivera!

I still, vividly, remember where I was sitting, watching it take place that November night in 2001.

Which is why I can be excited with you for the Sox coming from behind to beat the Yankers tonight! :)

No, I think I do remember that.

I just remember Schilling and the Unit winning the final game.

(I had to sit quietly and not wake the other Way Ds.)

Forgive my broken memory.

No problem... and indeed, Schilling/Johnson the WS 2001 MVP (together)...

Ya know, Bolshevik, the BoSox are coming to Phoenix in June... hopefully we'll be treated to a Johnson/Schilling showdown.

Phoenix in June?

Didn't know that. Have to look into it.

Hell, I'm so out of it, I was servin' twi the night the sox won the series.

:asdf:

I'll probably say that again later.

Anyway. . .

One thing for certain. . .

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!!!!

Cora's bloop single did remind me of Gonzo's in '01 which was one of the most exciting moments I had ever seen...

When the ball went into the RF corner in the 8th I was screaming at the top of my lungs for no one to touch the damn ball. Thankfully they all heard me from my living room and Varitek tied it.

There is always something good about late inning comeback wins, but when they are against Rivera, the best, from 4 down they are even more sweeter.

Tomorrows games on Fox (y'all know I can do without Buck and McCarver) and Sunday night ESPN. I hope that the national broadcasters drop all the hype and just let the games be what they are --which is more than enough in itself...

Are you out of towners surviving the hype? Hiway? what was the national ESPN coverage like?

Cora's bloop single did remind me of Gonzo's in '01 which was one of the most exciting moments I had ever seen...

When the ball went into the RF corner in the 8th I was screaming at the top of my lungs for no one to touch the damn ball. Thankfully they all heard me from my living room and Varitek tied it.

There is always something good about late inning comeback wins, but when they are against Rivera, the best, from 4 down they are even more sweeter.

Tomorrows games on Fox (y'all know I can do without Buck and McCarver) and Sunday night ESPN. I hope that the national broadcasters drop all the hype and just let the games be what they are --which is more than enough in itself...

Are you out of towners surviving the hype? Hiway? what was the national ESPN coverage like?

How very true! Not UNlike Kirk Gibson's HR against Eckersley in the WS... I forget the year, but could NEVER forget the images... btw, Gibson's now bench coach for the Dbacks.

Hell, I'm so out of it, I was servin' twi the night the sox won the series.

Ah Ha!

Welcome back to the real world!

Scream yell and cheer all you want Bolshy---you earned it!

Was Gibsons blast in '87...88 maybe? i was still more or less in, but even then it had the ring of such incredible drama with Gibson hobbling to the plate, that it could never have been written or scripted better than it actually happened, it will forever be an iconic image of baseball...

Y'all get to see Josh Beckett today, if you're watching( FOX @ 4 Eastern)...The '03 Series MVP seems much more mature so far this year, I think a big reason is he is seems to be trusting Varitek to call the game instead of just trying to overpower everybody like a willful kid--

Ah Ha!

Welcome back to the real world!

Scream yell and cheer all you want Bolshy---you earned it!

Was Gibsons blast in '87...88 maybe? i was still more or less in, but even then it had the ring of such incredible drama with Gibson hobbling to the plate, that it could never have been written or scripted better than it actually happened, it will forever be an iconic image of baseball...

Y'all get to see Josh Beckett today, if you're watching( FOX @ 4 Eastern)...The '03 Series MVP seems much more mature so far this year, I think a big reason is he is seems to be trusting Varitek to call the game instead of just trying to overpower everybody like a willful kid--

Fox has the Cards @ Cubs game here... Cubbies up 4-0 after 2 innings. Jason Marquis pitching FOR the Cubs.

For the life of me I can't understand why Fox isn't carrying the Dbacks @ Giants game... especially since Barry just hit #739... THAT game is on NO TV today! "#$!%&$"#$!%&$. :realmad:

I'm thinking Gibson's iconic HR was 1988... but I should look it up to verify (but won't just now).

THAT HR will be to our generation what The Babe's "Called Shot" was to an earlier generation, I figure.

Edited by Rocky

THAT game is on NO TV today! "#$!%&$"#$!%&$.

thats hard for me to believe in this day and age...I cant remember the last Sox game that wasnt on TV on some channel, even if I dont catch them all..

i was out driving around in Rhode Island last week and listened to my first radio game in quite awhile and found it nostalgic and verry enjoyable---thats an option for you Rock--It made me feel like I was 12 again.

Boston 7

NY 4

thanks to Coco and a blast by Ortiz--bottom of the fifth

Edited by mstar1

thats hard for me to believe in this day and age...I cant remember the last Sox game that wasnt on TV on some channel, even if I dont catch them all..

i was out driving around in Rhode Island last week and listened to my first radio game in quite awhile and found it nostalgic and verry enjoyable---thats an option for you Rock--It made me feel like I was 12 again.

Boston 7

NY 4

thanks to Coco and a blast by Ortiz--bottom of the fifth

Yeah, I could get it on AM radio... which, if it were the Dodgers (Vin Scully) I would do, or find a way to do in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I don't have a radio in my 93 nissan pickumup truck and the AM reception on my home theater system is bad due to interference from the TV and other stuff.

btw, the ONLY scoring in the Dbacks/Giants game was Barry's 739th, a solo shot.

I dont know what to think of this whole Bonds thing anymore, Im so tired of laboring over the steroids point the last few years-that, to me at least, it doesnt seem real that he is 16 away from Aaron and in a way sort of wonder why anyone is still counting....

It doesnt seem right to me, and I feel no excitement in it at all(of course Im about a billion miles away from SF and havent been watching the ball fly out of the park, and I never get to see him since he is in the NL anyway --so maybe Im too detached--I dunno, Im sorta hoping that Selig doesnt show up and they dont make a big deal out of 756--maybe hand him a golden jar of cream or something and leave it at that....

I suppose this should have gone in the regular bball thread but Im too lazy to bring it over there.....

Im off on the road in the morning for about 2 weeks without a comp so hold the fort.....I'll be back when I can.

Dont miss DiceK on Sunday night baseball ESPN, I swear he has 7 or 8 good pitches----I'll be watching from Delaware--then you can go back to the regular thread----I'll catch up later

Happy Trails

I dont know what to think of this whole Bonds thing anymore, Im so tired of laboring over the steroids point the last few years-that, to me at least, it doesnt seem real that he is 16 away from Aaron and in a way sort of wonder why anyone is still counting....

It doesnt seem right to me, and I feel no excitement in it at all(of course Im about a billion miles away from SF and havent been watching the ball fly out of the park, and I never get to see him since he is in the NL anyway --so maybe Im too detached--I dunno, Im sorta hoping that Selig doesnt show up and they dont make a big deal out of 756--maybe hand him a golden jar of cream or something and leave it at that....

I suppose this should have gone in the regular bball thread but Im too lazy to bring it over there.....

Im off on the road in the morning for about 2 weeks without a comp so hold the fort.....I'll be back when I can.

Dont miss DiceK on Sunday night baseball ESPN, I swear he has 7 or 8 good pitches----I'll be watching from Delaware--then you can go back to the regular thread----I'll catch up later

Happy Trails

I'll have ESPN on for Jon and Joe to call the big game tomorrow night...

Ah, Bonds... yes, I very much understand your frustration there. Unfortunately, I think the media (sports guys) started rationalizing away the steroids controversy during the offseason, so they could justify paying attention to Bonds. It goes something like this -- well, the PITCHERS were doing it too... so, it evened out.

Which I believe is nonsense... but barring unforeseen tragedy, it's going to happen, and most likely this season, and probably before August.

Whoa, I wish I had a television with some good channels. like NESN

Sox just won , I think.

back-to-back-to-back-to-back homers?

First yankee sweep since 1990?

YES! They won. wow

oh, and . .

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!!!!

Sox in First!! Yankees are in last!! - he he he!!

-- said Bolshevik with excitement. Yet in the back of his mind, he knows that the season has barely begun. But let's not ruin his fun just yet, shall we?