GreaseSpot Cafe

Katrina the Tsunami

satori001

It's good to be safe and dry tonight. A lot of people are still clinging to life in the dark, right now, surrounded by rising water, snakes, and worse.

New Orleans and the surrounding area look like Indonesia after the tsunami, from the vantage of a news chopper.

What strikes me is how vulnerable we are in this country to a catastrophic event. We're so accustomed to low casualties we're taken by surprise when something like this comes along. And they do come along. There will be another cat 5 hurricane, another 9.2 quake, another terrorist massacre, another war, another monster blizzard... another asteroid.

There's a Buffet song with the line: "I don't know where I'm-a gonna go when da vol-cano blow." We're all living on a fault-line of one kind or another. Some take precautions, some throw caution to the wind. Plenty don't pay any attention at all.

I was in NO in the late nineties. A tour guide explained to my group, with some sense of urgency, that Katrina was coming and exactly what would happen when she did. She said NO was "on borrowed time." If we asked what more preparations might have been made, we were probably told there is only so much any city can afford to do.

I guess the country can better afford the 20+ billion to underwrite re-building than any one location can afford to spend a billion or so to prevent the disaster, or at least soften the blow. Or maybe that's the logic.

I hear there are only two corporations big enough to take on the job of rebuilding so much of the damaged infrastructure. One of them is a major French corporation. The other, Halliburton. The conspiracy theories are already flying.

Living on the fault line, in the shadow of Vesuvius, has lots of little advantages, until that day.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praying too, Danny. Hopefully they are able to bust a hole in the roof to climb on top where they can be seen. At least it's also encouraging to see the rescue workers busting into places to make sure that there's no one trapped in there.

Please let us know that your son's friends are okay when you find out. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Satori, before anybody puts bids out to anybody to rebuild any infrastructure, somebody should ask the Netherlands how they built their seawall.

There's can be opened and closed. they have an almost complete system of seawalls and dykes to hold back the sea in the event of catastrophic storms, but allow traffic in and out of their busy ports.

krys, if they have any sense they'll think like you do. I've never been to Holland to see them. Some of those North Atlantic storms can be pretty fierce, but I wonder if the storm surges are comparable.

On a side note, I hope Evan and his family are okay. Given his line of work, he's probably too busy with the recovery to get on line.

Getting back to the 3rd world, over 300 people were killed in a stampede in Iraq, when worshippers heading to some shrine were panicked by rumors of a suicide bomber in their midst. There may be more casualties in Iraq from that single incident than from all of Katrina.

Are these tragedies ultimately insignificant to a population of 6 billion?

I don't know, I have a bit of trouble comparing this hurricane to the tsunami is Asia. In Asia, over 226 THOUSAND people lost their lives. Last count I heard, 80 (that's right, eighty) people lost their lives. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the loss of life. I'm just trying to add a little perspective here.

Is it because it happened here it seems so much worse? Or that the tsunami happened to godless heathens somewhere on the other side of the world (as opposed to this God-fearing nation)?

quote:
Are these tragedies ultimately insignificant to a population of 6 billion?

Who can answer that? To me every life has value and it saddens me to see anyone die in an untimely tragedy...whether or not it is significant..i suppose it depends on your definition of what is significant and what is not, every life has a certain significance whether or not it has a measurable effect on all 6 billion of us.....

I was in N.O. in January, I was struck by the colorfulness and warmth of the people, the shopkeepers, street performers, musicians , waiters/waitresses etc...and what a great city and place New Orleans is, I see their faces before me now and wonder ....

It is hard for me to fathom that if a "tour guide' knew that they would be devastated many years ago, that there weren't better plans in place to deal with this... I read as early as last friday projections of what would happen to the city and those things have sadly come to pass. We all saw the people leaving the city in droves on Sunday--not to lay blame--but if they knew this was coming I have to ask--why wasn't the city evacuated?

When The Levee Breaks

If it keeps on rainin'

If it keeps on rainin'

The levee's goin' to break

If it keeps on rainin'

When the levee breaks

When the levee breaks

When the levee breaks

We’ll have no place to stay

Mean old levee

Mean old levee

Taught me how to weep and moan

Mean old levee

When the levee breaks

When the levee breaks

When the levee breaks

All last night

All last night

I sat on the levee and moan

Oh cryin' won't help you

Prayin' won't do you no good

When the levee breaks

When the levee breaks

When the levee breaks

Memphis Minnie-1926

I guess it depends on your perspective and the value one puts on innocent life.

These days most of us care about innocent life and the lose of it in tragedies like these. Although, these things happen all the time and the ones that the majority get choked up about are the ones getting all the news coverage.

Of course, the God of Noah supposedly felt the best thing to do was to wipe out the entire world except for one family. That story is taught to children young and old without a tear. I can only imagne what old testament folks would have thought about a city like "Nollins". Sodom? Gamomrrah?

quote:
Last count I heard, 80 (that's right, eighty) people lost their lives. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the loss of life. I'm just trying to add a little perspective here.

Actually, Verb, most places aren't even counting the dead right now because they are too busy rescuing and taking care of the survivors. In New Orleans they are having to push bodies out of the way for the boats to get through the neighborhoods to even check for survivors. There are lots of news footage that they can't show on tv because of all the bodies lying around and floating by.

The death toll is going to rise exponentially over the next few WEEKS and MONTHS!

Dunno if you realize it but the Gulf Coast is the central hub for MUCH, MUCH MUCH of our economic stability. 90% of next week's groceries should be on the road in 18 wheelers right now. Between gas prices, shortages and most of the roads being flooded and/or destroyed, there WILL be an impact felt all over the nation.

My uncle owns a gas, propane and oil distributorship in N. Mississippi. He is selling gas as fast as he can but when he runs out, he's out of business because he can't get in touch with anyone to get anymore and his main suppliers are from the Gulf Coast area.

I don't compare catastrophes. People losing lives, homes, livelihoods and economic despair is not pretty no matter what the country - no matter what the numbers.

Our gas tanks are full, but who knows when we will be able to do that again. I just heard on the radio that two gas lines going into Atlanta broke, and it will affect the ability to gas up. Yes it will affect the nation for quite awhile. (I'm thinking of turning cable back on to be able to watch the news--Very hard to get local news on the internet, it seems. (Maybe it's the operator-of-the-puter's fault?)

If you got the joe you get to go

If you look at a map of the areas refining capacity you'll see that only half or so of the refineries lie along the coast so, judging from an odds perspective (or is that just oddd?) some production can resume immediately.

Production wells, I think they shut down 7 of them? There are hundreds out there if I'm not mistaken.

Pipelines...probably have sustained the worst damage due to shifting sands and the tides.

Full tank of gas eh??

LOL

Disconnect your cable and cell phone, check yer insulation, read Eliot Colemans Four Season Harvest and buy a sweater or three.

IMHO "our tsunami" is an appropriate term. We haven't begun to see the effects of this on the country. And if you'd like to add a little more angst to your life, let me suggest that we have not even begun the height of the hurricane season yet. There's probably more to come.

They're talking about a death toll in the thousands. The only reason we're not seeing a toll as high as south Asia is that the tsunami victims did not see it coming.

Tsunami is entirely appropriate. And I suspect this event is going to make Sept. 11 look like a shootout at a local slum.

I think the governor or mayor said deaths in the hundreds or thousands, but they have no real clue. There have been bodies, but it is not like they have to push their way through them. I think they mark houses with a body with a red x, and may have tied some that were drifting to a solid object to collect later. Not pretty, but we simply don't details know yet. I'm hoping it is under 1000. A long road ahead ...

More news from my family coming in. This is from my uncle who is the "class clown" of the family and is the one you can always count on to bring levity and humor to a situation. To hear him talking like this is really a shock and tells me how really bad things must be. They live in Madison, over 200 miles north of New Orleans.

quote:
The magnitude of the destruction, the number of people it has affected, and the general lack of preparedness on the part of people in this part of the country has created a situation that will take at best weeks to untangle itself and, in the case of New Orleans, in all reality an entire generation. You start from a point of counting yourself lucky that you have an intact roof over your head - and we do - many do not. From that point, it’s varying degrees of misery. We don’t have power; mother and daddy do, however.

Being without power is obviously not the worst that can happen, however, after five days or so, it starts to color everyone’s emotions only if sleeping badly becomes a good thing, forget sleeping well. We do have food and a cooking source, but you can only cook what you can eat that day because there is no where to keep it and ice is a rumor. We have gasoline, but the prospects of when we will be able to get more when we need it are something I don’t want to consider.

I think the biggest problem is the general mentality that has settled. In Florida particularly, these types of events while certainly not good, they are at least a known commodity and preparation is obviously better, but so is the mind set that you know things will, at some point in the future, get better so you settle in with friends and family and people unknown and make the best of things and prop up each others spirits. Here, everyone is scared and we are surrounded by evacuees that are not only more scared than we are, have little or no hope of ever returning to the life they knew a week ago. While I can’t watch TV, I have just about quit reading the paper and looking at the internet because each and every thing I read just depresses me more.

If you plan on venturing from Starkville this way, assume when you leave where ever you are, you will have enough gas to make the return trip. You might find some in Canton or along the way, but you will spend your entire trip either sitting or looking for. By this weekend, it is going to be getting worse because local distributors are running out of gas and the refineries are down for various reasons.

I don’t suppose Sly could help us out and life our spirits some this weekend do you think?

Sly being MSU's football coach and the first game of the season this week-end