GreaseSpot Cafe

Katrina the Tsunami

satori001

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

Things will never be normal again here in Baton Rouge or surrounding areas.

I'm sure it seems that way now, and will for a long time, but that will eventually change. This is a horrible disaster, but people have overcome worse and eventually thrived. You have a hard road ahead, but you'll make it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been following this because I've been working hard.

Today. Spent all afternoon working with Texas Baptist Men building a kitchen to feed the thousands brought to San Antonio.

You need to quit watching the news and start helping. The people I saw didn't look like the people on TV. They were nice healthy and caring. They were helping each other, orderly, and trying to get on their feet.

We were hot and sweating and happy that we had our own beds to go home to and our own jobs.

They don't have a home, or a house, or a job.

The people of San Antonio were lined up dropping off water' food' cloths bedding. Yes some was old. A lot was brand new, bought to give away.

Some of us aren't in areas where we can help other than financial donations now, Houston. Glad you can be there to volunteer.

We are organizing to adopt many families here in Indy thru a netork of local churches. In the meantime til that happens, we are raising money, praying, volunteering here. Some are being trained at the local Red Cross for future dispatch.

J.

Here's an update from Houston.

My wife and I spent nine hours today working at Reliant Stadium (although we were in the Message Center) trying to connect people with missing family members.

Overall, I have to say that the people of Texas, and particularly Houston, are going above and beyond just helping these people. Believe it or not, but volunteers were being turned away, and some that were there more than a couple hours were told to go home so others could work too. We got to stay only because of our speciality with computers.

We brought our laptop with wireless access and proceeded to use what we could to help people track down loved ones. It was hard to deal with people who were already so devastated when we had to tell them that we couldn't find a match (unfortunately, it seems like every shelter has a list, and too many news sites and other sites have lists too) because I didn't want them to give up hope. Overall, in the whole nine hour period, I connected two people with family members. I'm greatful that I could assist those two, and I hope that all the other names I took and entered into the database will result in their family members finding them.

On the bad side, there is still a lot of chaos. As volunteers we were basically told by other volunteers who arrived maybe 30 minutes before us what we were supposed to do. They were told by people that arrived 30 minutes before them, etc. Also, the really frustrating thing was the lack of a single database for tracking people. You would think that FEMA, the DHS, or some federal agency would have set something up for this. Also, it makes me mad that the federal government is still taking a very hands off approach to this. The Red Cross, The Salvation Army, many smaller groups, many churches, and many private citizens are doing what we can, but there is a huge lack of leadership in this crisis on all levels. I did what I could to help as many people as possible, but without a cohesive organization, I didn't have the tools I needed to truly match as many people as possible with their missing loved ones.

Still, I do count today as a good day. I not only got to help a few people, but I also got to represent my city and state for people that need our help. Even for those who I wasn't able to find their loved ones, I think that I was able to provide some comfort and hope. I told them to come see me tomorrow because we should have access to a few databases in other shelters.

All in all, it is very important to help however we can, but I am glad to have done my part.

Well done Mister P-Mosh. You know this is one of those very tragic times in out history. So was 9/11. But you know what? I see that everyone who assists in whatever capacity has something to give and willingly does so.

Citizens from all over are working on the same project, and I think that will increase our unity and bind the hearts of the peoples of this nation together.

Mr. P-Mosh -- To quote Sean Hannity, "You're a great American".

(And I say that with no disrespect, or sarcasm.)

Thanks for your effort to help. I'm sure you did (and will continue to) make a difference for those who need the help in this crisis. icon_smile.gif:)-->

God bless.

David

quote:
Today. Spent all afternoon working with Texas Baptist Men building a kitchen to feed the thousands brought to San Antonio.

You need to quit watching the news and start helping.

Ex70's -- surely wish I could be there to help. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Thanks for all you are doing.

David

fiddlehead_sml.jpg

p-mosh,

Good for you! You're playing the role of a conservative: not depending upon the government, but taking your responsibility as one human being to help another human being in need. My hats off to you!!!!

And, btw, I think your idea of a national refugee database to match people separated through a disaster is a marvelous idea and an ideal function for DHS/FEMA. You care if I steal it and build a proposal?

I hope to be doing a briefing for FEMA on a related subject in the next couple of weeks and could do so then...

(if you want by-name credit, you can send me your real name by private message and I'll be happy to give acknowledgement when I do so)

My thanks go out to all of you who are helping in whatever way you can.

PMosh, I had the same thought, that someone should have had a centralized database planned long before disaster struck. I'm still trying to locate a friend and her husband who live in New Orleans. I've checked every online list I've heard about to no avail, but keeping umpteen separate lists isn't a very good way to keep track of people, obviously.

So I just keep waiting and praying they're okay.

States far outside of Gulf region are offering housing to survivors. I live in a northern state and we have been asked to house survivors in our homes. I am ske-daddling to finish some remodeling projects I have been puttering away at so I can take a person or two.

I read the story about Adrienne Picou and her grandson Eddie. Eddie was the little boy who told the reporter they were going to Whatchamacallit, Texas. I would love to have folks like them come and share my home for awhile. I have a tiny bike in my garage that my nieces and nephews have outgrown. I was going to donate it this weekend but am thinking I should hang onto it in case an Adrienne and Eddie come to my house.

I have to get back to work here in a few minutes, but anyone have any suggestions on what color goes well with medium oak trim?

I am horrible at picking and matching colors and need to go pick up paint for my living room. I had the windows replaced and the new trim is a a medium oak. I can't figure out what the heck color I am supposed to paint it. It is white at the moment and seems very sterile and lifeless.

I ditto the comments already made above, P-Mosh. It takes people with a set skill and willingness to just jump in and make it happen that really makes a difference.

Yeah, one would think something as basic as a central database would be a no-brainer, but I can attest that even in Corporate America, you'd be shocked at how many organizations don't "get" the huge importance to their business of that simple tool.

I hope Mark and others are able to set them straight! Thanks for volunteering so energetically, P-Mosh and Mrs. P-Mosh!

J.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

p-mosh,

Good for you! You're playing the role of a conservative: not depending upon the government, but taking your responsibility as one human being to help another human being in need. My hats off to you!!!!

Heh, not a conservative in the political sense, because they're the ones who got us into this mess in the first place, but I should save that debate for later. Suffice to say, I've already looked into this stuff a little bit and it makes me angry.

I think my response was a human one, and an American one. Even though many of the refugees were complaining about Bush, I would try to steer the conversations towards positive things such as how they are now safe and how they are being reunited with families, slowly but surely. One couple that came looking for their son actually told me that they just found each other a few hours prior to coming to me. They had last seen each other on Sunday, and had spent the past week wondering if each other were still alive. That type of happiness is what I hope everyone can get from this. Even though they were quite a bit older (their missing son is 20, and he's ok just not accounted for in the databases we have access to yet since he was split from his dad here in Houston and probably shipped elsewhere) they were acting like newlyweds. It was great.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

And, btw, I think your idea of a national refugee database to match people separated through a disaster is a marvelous idea and an ideal function for DHS/FEMA. You care if I steal it and build a proposal?

I hope to be doing a briefing for FEMA on a related subject in the next couple of weeks and could do so then...

(if you want by-name credit, you can send me your real name by private message and I'll be happy to give acknowledgement when I do so)

Please do so, because it is still very difficult and rather than the number of places to look decreasing, they increased today from yesterday. Also, I don't really need credit. It's a very common complaint on the floor between the volunteers.

quote:
Originally posted by Scout Finch:

Does anyone know if Jeff and Clarice Wallace are safe? I only remember them from being in residence with them at Emporia, but they keep coming to mind and have been in my prayers. They are listed on an ex-way link as being in Pass Christian, MS which I have read was destryoed by Katrina.

I looked them up in the systems I know, but was unable to find anything. Keep in mind that everything is still a mess so it's hard to really find much information. Even though there's a huge list of places to look, but here are the main ones (in my opinion):

http://familymessages.yahoo.net/ - It has a very huge list of people, although it is still a small percentage of the overall refugees.

http://katrina.dyndns.org/ - This is what we were using at Reliant. I don't know if it's supposed to be publicly available, but it's accessable on the internet, so I figure it must be ok. We took all the cards that people gave us of their names and who they are looking for, and put it in there. It is only Reliant though.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/apps/connect/search.aspx?n=A&i=1/ - This only worked out to help me find someone once, and it's generally not that great, but since it did help me help one woman find her daughter, I'm linking to it.

http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/katrina/people - This is the Red Cross's database, but it hasn't helped me at all thus far. Eventually it should be more complete though.

http://www.wwltv.com/forums/search.php - A local to New Orleans TV station's message board that has a big list as well. Unfortunately, their search engine sucks so you'll have trouble finding names there. I found a few possible matches before, but sometimes I couldn't even find the name on a list even though it came up in the search.

Like I said, there are other places. Yahoo has a pretty complete list on their site, but it's a pain. I wish I knew where the databases that other shelters are using, as far as I know the one the people in the Astrodome are using is still not connected to the one we were using in Reliant. Nevermind the Dallas Reunion shelter, or any other shelters anywhere in the country. One person who I found a missing family member for required me searching google just to find an address of a location of a shelter that was run by an individual church and not affiliated with any of the other shelters.

It's a big mess, and hopefully now that we're starting to get a handle of the basics of providing food, shelther, and clothing, we can get to reuniting them with their families better.

Guys, this may sound silly in light of all of the problems....but I just watched how the folks with pets won`t leave because there is no place to house them...these folks despreratly wanting to leave...but having no where to go....

Is there anyway to volunteer living space to folks with pets?

I have an empty 2 br moble home and I have friends who would make room for a refugee and their pet as well.

I know it is dumb in light of the magnitude of this tradgedy....but I understand not wanting to leave behind that soul who trusts you so implicitly...I guess I couldn`t leave either.

Any ideas on how I could help these guys?

quote:
Originally posted by rascal:

Guys, this may sound silly in light of all of the problems....but I just watched how the folks with pets won`t leave because there is no place to house them...these folks despreratly wanting to leave...but having no where to go....

Is there anyway to volunteer living space to folks with pets?

I have an empty 2 br moble home and I have friends who would make room for a refugee and their pet as well.

I know it is dumb in light of the magnitude of this tradgedy....but I understand not wanting to leave behind that soul who trusts you so implicitly...I guess I couldn`t leave either.

Any ideas on how I could help these guys?

Not dumb at all. In fact, I donated money to Noah's Wish to help with the pets, and there is also http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/ where you can volunteer to host an animal in your house if you have room to foster a pet temporarily (you'll probably have to go pick it up yourself though.)

Some people on the web have complained to me that I should only focus on the people, but I don't see why we can't help both.

I just wish I could communicate and coordinate with folks with a pets currently stuck in the city....and coordinate with someone to get them and their critter ou of there and to safety.

We ought to be able to assist a few up here in Tennessee.

I have friends who would take in pet owners...just don`t know how to communicate.