GreaseSpot Cafe

Beautiful Ohio ......Plagiarized

WhiteDove

icon_eek.gif Sniff Sniff... Say it isn't so!!!!

WordWolfs thread reminded me of this. Last weekend while poking around an antique store here I found it. Now I really was not looking for any,but as I passed my eye somehow was drawn to it Sheet music. Yep there it was right in front Beautiful Ohio. Ok I admit it I had to buy it!!!

After all it was an important piece of research and only a dollar.

Well I opened the sealed wraper expecting to see those old familiar words...

But sniff... they were no where to be found.

Yep plagiarized again. the last bit of originality gone before my very eyes.

The sheet music is pretty cool though the back reads Mary Earl, writter of the biggest song hits to the music world. The tune all America is humming (somehow I doubt that) The bottom reads this song available on all Phonograph and music rolls ask your dealer for them for your player piano....

Well I have been laughing all week at God's sense of humor. Not even the rock theme song was original..... sniff

Ok Belle I promised I would post this for you so here it is.

I hate to be a wise ars but:

Louie Louie, me gotta go. Louie Louie, me gotta go.

A fine little girl, she wait for me.

Me catch the ship across the sea.

I sailed the ship all alone.

I never think I'll make it home.

Louie Louie, me gotta go.

Three nights and days we sailed the sea.

Me think of girl constantly.

On the ship, I dream she there.

I smell the rose in her hair.

Me see Jamaican moon above.

It won't be long me see me love.

Me take her in my arms and then

I tell her I never leave again.

quote:
Originally posted by Linda Z:

As much as I disliked that song, neither singing it nor adapting it amounts to plagiarism.

Indeed. TWI never claimed it as original. You might as well claim they plagiarized the "Star Spangled Banner" since they used it every day at flag-raising!

George

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteDove:

Maybe George but they did not change the words to the Star Spangled Banner. They passed off their version as the Ohio state song it was not.

Change the lyrics to a Beatles song and record it and see how long before you hear from the record company.

I assume that "Beautiful Ohio" is in the public domain, and so adapting it is not a crime. (As opposed to, say, "Surfin' USA," which was "Sweet Little Sixteen" with different words. It took Chuck Berry about twenty years to get credit for the song.) And it was apparent to me from the very first time I heard the TWI version that it wasn't the original words.

George

Hey Georgio, I checked and your is one of but several considered versions. Nobody knows what the original words were. The FBI tried to have the guys arrested for obscene lyrics but could never figure out what they were saying, I found a whole website devoted to different versions

I like the song though and it really could have been a good replacement for Beautiful Ohio. I would rather have woken up to Louie Louie

Out There, you're not going to fathom this because it seems really rediculous but when I was a kid there were still people who thought that Louis Louis was evil. I also had heard about the FBI thing, which is true. But the FBI should have done what I did all those years ago. I wrote a letter to The Library of Congress and requested the lyrics. They were on file. That famous version of that song is a cover. It's an old raggae song by a guy named Richard Berry. The lyrics I printed are the ones from the origional copyright.

Not bad eh?

Martindale was one of the idiots who was saying that the Louie, Louie lyrics were evil, or dirty or both. I'd hear Way Corps people parrot it, and then ask them what the words actually were. They never knew.

The way I heard it, the classic Kingsman version is hard to understand for two reasons: it was recorded in one take, so some of the words were kind of mumbled over, and everything was recorded by one boom microphone, the singer having to shout UPWARDS to be heard.

Geez! Am I da only one dat liked dat song? I took the Advanced Class in 1979, and beautiful Ohio played in the morning, as well as the song where VP would say to swing and sway with Sammy Kaye. That summer they started with the Beautiful Ohio.

Boy...I gotta admit, I miss going to the Rock of Ages. Only hated it when I had to haul trash with a bad back. But mostly...I loved it...sigh...