GreaseSpot Cafe

warning - men only topic: watercloset mechanics

Galen

Bathroom question for the men here.

I find myself recently re-working on one of our toilets. It often requires multiple-flushes to get it to clean itself out. I found and reviewed a plumbing site wherein the details and engineering of toilets and water-closets were discussed. I leanred that the single most important issue in getting a toilet to flush properly is the quantity of water held in the water-closet. Since Amnerica views water as a non-renewable natural resource we have passed laws to limit how much of this non-renewable resource each flush uses. They insisted that there is no difference in functioning from one brand name to another, and the only thing that drives pricing is the quality of the glazing in the porcelin. So no matter if you spend $100 or $500 all models will work the same.

The question, how do you find a toilet wherein the distance from the seat to the puddle is suffecient to stop a guy from dangling into the water?

It truly disgusts me when any part of my person dangles into the water puddle, and I find it dis-tasteful when things are 'splashing' into the puddle and parts of my person get splashed.

To my wife this is a source of humour, she does not get splashed and in fact is able to use any toilet without dipping into the water, or getting splashed by the water. I trust that obviously other men have the same issue, so what is the answer?

I have looked at the models on sale in HomeDepot, and on the web; there is no rating for the seat-to-puddle distance. So when purchasing a toilet there is no way to really determine whether or not you will 'dangle' into the puddle. For that matter material dropping into the puddle will make a splash, and yet there is no consumer's rating or any system for that matter to indicate or limit the amount of splash.

How do you guys purchase new toilets?

Thank you, and I do remind you this is a serious topic and not meant as humour.

Please ladies, I understand that you would find this humourous (even though such humour would not be kind) so ladies could you possibly limit your comments. thank you.

Galen

ET1 (SS) USN retired

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ckeer:

"Galen- I had just considered the problem as part of life and why the french developed Bidets"

See I knew that others must be observing the same thing that I observe.

"These toilets won't splash and the centrex model shoud be tall have enough height to accomidate the angles and dangles of an ex submariner like yourself"

Sure no water, equals no splash, hmm.

"Angles and dangles" cute, real cute.

Of course any thread that says "men only" I am going to have to check out.

Have you ever considered just raising the seat? Many elderly people have those seat raisers that fit on top of the toilet bowl. My dad has one that raises him about 5 inches when he sits on "his throne" (that's what he calls it}. He got it because he has congestive heartfailure and arthritis and it is difficult for him to get out of a seated position.

Seems like that would solve the problem of getting wet or dangling delicates in disgusting "pools".

Galen,

I concur with the previous poster. If the problem occurs only while you're seated on the toilet, a thicker "raised" toilet seat might provide relief.

If it occurs while you're standing, however, you might try standing on stools of various heights and contacting some Hollywood agents.

It seems to be sort of a catch-22 there Galen... the further you distance your 'hardware' from the water, the bigger splash the 'torpedoes' might make (from falling farther)... hmmm... I don't know if you can necessarily have one without the other... unless you choose to "go dry" as per ckeer's models... I think I'd choose the "no dangle" option and take my chances on the splashes...

I just saw a commercial about a toilet that uses a pump/plunger mechaniscm to "push" the water through the system.

Current toilets basicaly use a lever a gravity to push the water through the system.

Also, you just reminded me of a old (non-politically correct) army cadance... anim-smile.gif

Part of it goes as follows...

Don't let your dingle dagle,

dangle in the dirt icon_eek.gificon_razz.gif:P--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> anim-smile.gif

Imbus-

“Not to sound ignorant but, would it be smart to hold the one while using the other? I did not know that this would be an issue for some folks.”

Hmm, I have attempted this feat. And many times I do just that. Uh, in my ‘plumbing’ when I am operating one valve, often times the other valve with crack open and a dribble will flow out as well. Operating one valve at a time, and only one valve at a time, as not always possible. For example, to hold the hose coming from one valve (I will call it valve #1) while attempting to operate the other valve (let us say valve #2) would often give cause to leakage from the hose of the first valve #1.

I learned long ago, to never operate a fire hose without proper control and targeting, for in other nearby equipment could get wet.

Tom-

“I think I'd choose the "no dangle" option and take my chances on the splashes...”

I do, and as I pointed out in the beginning of this thread, I don’t really care for those splashes. If men are truly those who design all things commercial, then why haven’t commodes been designed with men in mind?

Trefor-

“Here in the UK the distance between seat and puddle is approx 9”. No splash probs to report and I wonder if Galen is boasting?”

True. While living in Scotland, I don’t recall this being such an issue.

I did not intend any such boast.

Tom-

Salads make less splash?

I thought it was much more a matter of proximity to the water.

You might not need a new toilet, Galen. The flushing problem could be caused by an inadequate or blocked sewer vent, rather than the toilet itself. If the toilet sometimes actually backs up, the problem could be a partial blockage in the trap part of the toilet, caused by something that was dropped in, but didn’t make it around the curve when flushed.

Whether or not you replace the toilet, you may be able to lower the water level in the bowl, either by constricting the little hose that trickles water into the bowl while the tank is filling or by aiming the hose so that only part of the stream goes down the vertical pipe in the center of your tank.

If you’ve exhausted all other possibilities and you’re really, really desperate, I guess you could employ a desperate measure, but I wouldn’t suggest that.

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon:

Only men know about toilets?

pffffffffft

Ummm, Shell, the complete topic wasn't just toilets, but having body parts dangling into said toilets, and backsplash onto other body parts while using said toilets.

So, are you saying that people other than men have things that dangle into toilets?

What on you dangles into a toilet? I'm curious, now.

Long-

“You might not need a new toilet, Galen. The flushing problem could be caused by an inadequate or blocked sewer vent, rather than the toilet itself. If the toilet sometimes actually backs up, the problem could be a partial blockage in the trap part of the toilet, caused by something that was dropped in, but didn’t make it around the curve when flushed.”

The original flushing problem is fixed for now, thank you.

This one has not been backing up, just slow flushes requiring secondary flushes.

This building has three heads (or ‘bathrooms’ to civilians) they are all ‘stacked’ exactly on top of each other; a three story-building with heads in the same place, each drains into a vertical 6” cast-iron pipe. That pipe necks down to 2” and goes out through the roof as a vent. Our head feeds into the bottom of this 35’ tall column just before the 6” pipe elbows 90* and goes down a gentle grade 70’ and into the sewer underneath the street. The bathtubs from the first and second floors as well as the sinks from all three floors all drain into this 6” pipe to keep things moving along. The third floor apartment was actually an attic and was converted in the mid 80’s (that’s 1880’s in case you were wondering) into an apartment. It’s ceilings are all gabled roof tops, it’s head only has normal height while standing in the center of the room, It did have a bathtub but to get into said tub you had to crouch down and duck your head, as the tub was up against the ceiling. I recently replaced that tub (cast iron with claw feet from a factory in 1915) with a shower stall that I trimmed to fit. The first floor crapper only needs to move jetsam about one foot and the flow from above will carry it away.

When I suspect blockage I routinely use 150 psi air to blow such blockages out into the street.

“Whether or not you replace the toilet, you may be able to lower the water level in the bowl, either by constricting the little hose that trickles water into the bowl while the tank is filling or by aiming the hose so that only part of the stream goes down the vertical pipe in the center of your tank.”

Actually I just ‘raised’ the level of water in the water-closet by 2 more inches. Which had an immediate effect on flushing characteristics.

Tom-

I have used outhouses and I rather prefer them.

People, this was truly meant as a serious topic. When I have gone into hardware stores and asked about the average distance from seat to puddle they look at me like I am stupid.

I have a theory concerning the water level in the bowl...

It might be possible the depth be determined the baramotric (sp) pressure in your area, in conjunction with the elevation above sea level.

just a thought...

quote:
Originally posted by Trefor Heywood:

Here in the UK the distance between seat and puddle is approx 9".

No splash probs to report and I wonder if Galen is boasting? icon_eek.gif

Same is here in Australia re seat to puddle distance.

Still doesn't stop the little pools of wee ending up on the floor that inevitably occur. With the diameter of toilet bowls being as they are, surely men could aim a little better???? icon_razz.gif:P-->

quote:
Since America views water as a non-renewable natural resource we have passed laws to limit how much of this non-renewable resource each flush uses.

Galen -- this law only applies to new models, right? You can find "used" models where renovation and remodeling of homes is being done, or where building demolition will be taking place.

One person I know, rents to college kids who trash the rentals on a regular basis. When the kids move out, she has to replace lots of items, including things like toilets, and bathroom sinks. She charges a "hefty" damage deposit from them, and frequently has to utilize it.

She never shops for new. Driving around town with an open eye for construction remodeling sites, or even contacting local companies at their main office, she has always been able to find what she needed, and at a good price.

Perhaps you could do the same. Find an "older model that will be discarded, and purchase it. Most, if not all, are in perfect working order. One man's trash, can be your treasure. And the older model will eliminate your frustrations, as well as other things! icon_smile.gif:)-->

When asked what was worn under the kilt, the Scot replied --

"Nothing is worn. It is all in perfect working order!"

well I'm with whoever said it first - you say "for men only" and I just have to look.

That being said, the awful images running through my head are, I suppose, completely my own fault.

However, Galen, I am extremely grateful we have never met in "real life" and I have no face to put with the image, so to speak. icon_eek.gif