GreaseSpot Cafe

Life is Precious

Stephanie is 17, a senior in my wife's high school Algebra class.

Her sister Kim was 15, a sophomore at the same school.

Kim's friends described her as very loving, always happy, always making somebody laugh. She had been a middle school cheerleader and she coached 5, 6, and 7-year old girls in cheerleading at one of the local athletic associations. She loved watching the Kim Possible cartoon show. There were no problems at home as she came from a loving, stable family.

On Monday, November 3rd, Kim was hanging out at the mall with some friends when she told them that she was going home and she would meet up with them later. She never did.

Her sister Stephanie came home later and found Kim hanging from the bannister on the stairway. She was still alive and they rushed her to the hospital, but she died on Wednesday, November 5th.

Not surprisingly, her family is devastated, especially her older sister, who found her. My wife went to the visitation and it was terrible. So sad. My wife told Stephanie that if there was anything she could do just ask, and Stephanie told her, "Just bring Kim back." Whoa.

The other kids at school say that Kim had broken up with her boyfriend just before she killed herself. It's unbelievable to me that someone so young could commit suicide because of some high school romance that went bad. Kim was the same age as my older son and that really makes this hit home in a big way.

If anything good could possibly come out of this terrible tragedy, it's that maybe some parents will talk to their kids and tell them that there's nothing worth killing yourself over at the age of 15. I know I've done that now with my own son.

Kids need to understand that pain does not last forever, not matter how bad it is, and things will get better. Parents need to let their children know that they can always come to them with any kind of problem, not matter what it is.

Suicide is definitely not painless, especially for those who are left behind.

What a shame Pirate!

My nephew did something similar about a year ago. He left a note saying how unhappy he was...but nobody ever would have guessed it.

It does really make me wonder.

Hugs to your wife, and yourself, and of course her family and friends.

Pirate:

Thank you for sharing this story and for the reminder. I'm sure your wife is grieved over this young life now gone.

I had a former co-worker stop by my house on Thursday night who needed to talk. It seems his 17 yr. old daughter had tried to commit suicide two weeks before. I know Maria. She is a lovely, vibrant young lady. Straight A student, sings in the gospel choir, lead in drama productions, active in church. Took an entire bottle of Valium one Saturday. They don't know yet where she got it, but evidently she had thought about this for a bit. She had just broken up with her boyfriend, but I'm sure there is a lot more below the surface.

Anyway, it just made me reflect on how fragile life is sometimes. People need to be reached out to, listened to, hugged, loved. Some come to feel like they are a ship passing others in the night with no real connection to anyone.

There are wonderful people here at GSC who continue to reach out and help people deal with their wounds; and there are people who are in our non-Internet lives who need a kind word, a hug, a venting session, flowers, a prayer, a meal....

Thanks for the reminder, Pirate.

Jardinero

Pirate-pal...

I'm so sorry...I've had a nephew and some friends from high school do the same thing...over a boy/girlfriend...love on your kids folks...let them know they can talk to you about ANYTHING!!!! Never make them feel that suicide is a better option! So sad...

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

Children are taught in school today that suicide is a method of dealing with troubles.

And the music they listen to approves it as well.

Just this year a guy at work -- a 20-year employee, the director of three major gaming departments, had his Most-precious-only-son do this while he was at college. I don't know if my friend will ever recover.

I hope and pray that some of these parents who have been so devastated will get the word out, like Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) has done with drunk driving laws.

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

It appears to me that as sex education actually teaches the methods of premarital sex, so the suicide classes teach the methods of suicide.

The law of learning by which the not is not heard -- especially among children.

When the adults of today were in school (I was in elementary school 45 years ago) suicide was just a "don't go there" -- which is as it should be.

(Enoch, "Did not see death because he was translated" -- IMHO the Lord just kept the eyes of Enoch clean of death.)

I could not tell you a "fool-proof" method of suicide, but today's highly educated children can do so.

the antidote is, as the title of this thread, teaching the children how precious they are, to God as well as to their family and friends, so they have padding when the trials of life buffet them or the fiery darts of the wicked attempt to pierce their soul.

[This message was edited by Kit Sober on November 16, 2003 at 15:47.]

Pirate,

Words fail me here. My heart and spirit are with you, your wife, the family left behind. In my way, I will reach out to each of you all.

Kit...the schools have suicide classes??????? Wow! What ages/grade levels, do you know?

Suicide was the "in" thing when I was in high school. I had 9 friends succumb. It was something I got into...and nearly succeeded. Once such a thing is in the mind, it feeds on itself...especially if peers are into it, too. Nothing in particular needs to be "wrong"...but everything in general just adds up a little here, a little there.

Depression and desperation are hard to recognize in this busy world of ours. We've somehow learned to "function" on the outside while we are desperately dysfunctional on the inside.

It's a by-product of a fast-paced, workaholic, produceaholic society, imo. Take time to smell the roses isn't just a nice-nice fad thing to say...it's important!

Believe me...I'm going to talk to my son this evening...check in with him, ya know? He's 17.

sig000.jpg

Thanks CoolWaters.

I remember about a 15 year old who shot her brains out while visiting her sisters house for the summer...her Mom died the year before.

There are thousands of these types of stories. People, especially the young, feeling isolated and helpless...and in pain.

We all need to tell young people...'show' rather...that we care...that we can listen and with-hold judgement...that their life will get better ....

... if only they can get ahold of someone's hand today

... someone who cares

... we need to learn and more importantly, LISTEN for the warning signs!

Kit,

Sex education and suicide education IS for prevention...not encouragement!

IF it's failing... it needs to be revised... it's too important to put back in the closet... but it certainly needs an 'overhaul'.

Ginger

Gingertea,

MY OPINION RE: Overhauling social teaching like "suicide prevention"

Even though the "goal" of these "social improvement" classes may be "improvement," but their result has been horrible. (Jesus said you could tell a tree by its fruit.)

Teaching how precious is life, the importance of one life, the impact of one life upon the world is the best suicide prevention.

Showing that great movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" would be a good course requirement because of the preciousness of life it demonstrates.

Catholics have some great value-of-life resources.

(American Christians, IMHO, need to stop being intimidated by people who are ashamed of Jesus.)

Thankful to be able to have an opinion once again,