GreaseSpot Cafe

children's activities

MiniCorpsConscript

did anyone here ever lead children's activities? i was wondering because when i was 3 yrs to 5 yrs old i was at the indiana campus with my parents and was in mini corps. just wondering, because i lateley have had some weird memories about what went on in the way and was wondering if anybody could help me remember what kind of things went on at that place. that was about 20 years ago so i have trouble remembering stuff from then.

oh definitely. That part definitely 100% true. I specifically remember the hall monitors. Better not get caught outside the halls! I also remember that when the kid groups split up with the different adults for children's activities the main thing that the kids would want to know was "who hits the hardest?" Also, I remember praying (actually praying, not figuratively) that the adult my group was with would forget their wooden spoon because it hurt ALOT less.

MiniC - what kind of repressed memories are you talking about?

There've been some posters here that have broached different topics vis a vis children and the things that have happened to them. In Alaska, for instance, there was a branch leader that was a pedophile, he ended up in jail.

Lindyhopper was minicorps, I believe. He'll probably pop in and give some input.

I led children's fellowship for the Portland OR branch in 82-83, but that was about it.

mcc, in the *child abuse* thread (you can do a search for it) there were a few of the mini corpes and parents of the then mini corpes that posted of some pretty destructive activities that the young children were subjected to.

As a parent, I am truly sorry for what you endured as a child in twi, I haven`t met a mini corpes kid yet that has anything GOOD to say about that whole ordeal.

Selina and myself 'did a stint' of looking after the 'hearty helpers', 'chosen gems' etc..!in Family 20.

We loved it and I must admit we didn't 'tap' the kids for every little thing they did that TWI might not have approved of !!

I think our favorite part was pulling them around the campus in the trolleys and helping them look out for their Dads & Moms.

Their were some awesome kids and a few 'scallywags', probably the ones now posting here!!!

We sometimes chuckle to ourselves thinking of the Wainwrights,Echternauts,Richters,Zeilmans,Chalmers and lest I ever forget,Robert Cassady! AND little AJ!! Fond memories of them all.

haha! i remember the trolley i think. i used to dig the firemen's hats at WOW too. btw i looked it up and i was in family 10. as far as sexual abuse goes i don't recall anything like that ever happening to me at least. i DO remember the spankings though and that some were bad about it and others would just pretty much pretend to spank you so they wouldn't get in trouble. lol i realize that 95% of the people in the way weren't blood sucking vampires, just people looking for answers! i have a weird question though, did anyone know if they gave vitamins or something, because for some reason i have memories of having to take lots of pills and getting in trouble for spitting them out.

MinicorpsC...Welcome to the GSC.

While in the corps, I was sent to Rome city campus for several months (back in 1979)...My impression was that the worst of the abuses came in the form of "mental abuse". Sure, everybody had a spoon...but it was the constant verbal abuse that stands out in my mind the most. Kids were brow beat for not being "God's best"...I remember vividly, watching Bob Moneyhands "reproving" little tykes on a daily basis. You could see the fear in their eyes, wondering who was gonna yell at them next...they were not allowed to be like other little kids..."more" was expected from them and they had huge portions of their childhood ripped away from them by the "Youth for Wierwille" indoctrination program. I felt very uncomfortable with the whole scene and would avoid situations where I would have to deal with kids...sorta challenging, considering where I was!

...Don't remember any pills though...

MCC -

Welcome to GSC!

This may be an odd question and I'm not asking it to make you go away - honest!

But...

Why haven't you asked your parent(s) about it? I mean, wouldn't they be able to more directly address your questions about the vitamins or supplements that you were made to take when you were a little tyke?

Again, I'm not throwing this out there to make you feel unwelcomed -

Also -- You might want to try posting your question on the Way Corps forum... If there isn't a thread for "Family 10" then maybe you could start one...

Just some thoughts...

I wonder if the whole korpskidlet thing hurt you or helped you into a balanced adultlet.

Thinking back to the earliest memories can be fun, telling, and interesting, for sure.

I'm thinking maybe...that is, perhaps, the pills were GreenLife. They might be remembered as spitoutable, even now...lol...since they are natural grasses compressed.

MC Con,

The thing about Wayfers, der Vey, and the corps is and was that things change with each new leader. Their style is different, the things that push thier buttons is different, thier spoon technique is different, some leave bigger whelts than others.

Someone may have been on a vitamin kick while you where in but when I was there they just used the spoon to keep you in shape. I know now my mom is on a serious fruit and veggie pill hype. Wafers were also always on some strange health or fitness kick.

I was in F12, so I was arrivng as your family was leaving. I was a little older to so that also lends itself to a different experience. My younger brother was around that age. I know they started hitting young kids at a young age. Later it was supposed to be used as an attention getter, but in our day many people felt it was Ok to hit pretty hard, especially the older you got.

Some older folks here think that the things that happened to us were piddly compared to the way they were raised. "In my day, we didn't have butts, they were beaten off of us by the age of four. We were buttless mutated freeks, and WE LIKED IT!"

Well, I am of the thought that you shouldn't hit your kids. Even though I was hit and turned out OK, except for the multiple personalities.

MiniCorpsConscript, I was in F9 and was probably there when you were. Yes we were beaten with spoons. Yes the "Hall Moniters" were called ROVERS.

We used to "believe God" that we would get a gentle rover. I am here if you need to discuss this , here or in private.

We basicly had a thousand parents. Everyone had permission to "reprove" other people's kids. I also have memories of sexual issues but I never knew of anything happening with kids as young as you were. It was all with teens.

Welcome to GS and if you ever need to talk, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

MiniCorpsConscript,

I was away from Greasespot when this topic came up so I'm just now getting around to catching up...we were in F-11 and our son is 24 so you might have been in something together your last year there. My hubs worked in activities for a block, or whatever they called it, with the 2 or 3 year olds but I think it was our second year. I don't remember anything about kids taking pills or vitamins, though.

That is so sad, that a little mini-corp child's biggest worry was, who hits the hardest? This is just sick.

I wonder how many adults know what the kids went through?

I love hearing this from your perspective minicorpsconscript. What else was it like for you and the other little guys, or what did you guys worry about?