GreaseSpot Cafe

A Thread For Quitters

Raf

It's easy to attribute your experiences to the Chantix, but don't forget your body hasn't had nicotiene in a while, and some of what you're experiencing could be due to that alone if my experience counts for anything!

It's official! I haven't had a cigarette in a month.

That's not the great news: that's just good news. The great news is that I haven't WANTED a cigarette in most of that time. Maybe once. Maybe.

And, I've been Chantix free all weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize it's been 10 days since I last posted here.

So what's the progress? Well, I'm not off Chantix, but I'm not taking the prescribed dosage either. More like half: one pill a day, if that. Today, for example, I didn't have one. Doc says that's fine.

And the bottom line: haven't had a cigarette in six weeks.

Was it the drug, the determination, or both? I don't know. I'm just so happy I could eat a pineapple.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I am feeling so much better these days. With each passing day, I feel less like and ex-smoker and more like a non-smoker. I'm off Chantix and off nicotine, and I love it.

I'd say I stayed on the Chantix regime as prescribed for about a month, but as concerned as I was about the accompanying risks, I did not continue it. I may never know if it worked as intended because it works or if it was because I was determined to quit. All I know is that from the first day I took it, I utterly lost the urge to smoke.

But here's the rub: That's not how they claim it works. So how much of it was the drug, and how much was, for lack of a better term, positive believing action?

That is pretty much how it worked with me too, although I did take it for the prescribed 3 months.

It took a few days after beginning it, but once I was taking it twice/day, I did notice that cigarettes tasted kind of blech. I started skipping a few here and there, and noticed any urges quickly passed. Before that week was over I was off them. And - - I do think it was the drug's assist which allowed me to sever my relationship with them. I had really been working to quit with various limited successes for almost 3 years when I tried the Chantix.

Everybody is different, though. IMHO a 22% success rate isn't really that impressive EXCEPT that this is nicoteine!.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Saturday, July 11, is the big anniversary:

One CIGARETTE FREE YEAR!

(Oh, and today's the second wedding anniversary).

(Oh, and yesterday was Leo's five-month birthday).

Ceeeeeelebrate good times COME ON!!!

I have to say I am feeling so much better these days. With each passing day, I feel less like and ex-smoker and more like a non-smoker. I'm off Chantix and off nicotine, and I love it.

But here's the rub: That's not how they claim it works. So how much of it was the drug, and how much was, for lack of a better term, positive believing action?

Believing Equals Receiving! Don't cha remember???!! :blink: :biglaugh:

Congrats on your smoke free year anniversary! :beer:

One more attaboy... and kiss that baby...

My brother who has been cigarette free for two years just came by and I have to say his skin looks so nice now... quitting for him made his skin look younger. and all it took was a heart attack and two shunts to give him the incentive. Count your self blessed Raf! :beer:

I am 5 weeks today quit smoking. Some years past I smoked 2 packs of short hump Camels a day. Then I quit for about a year and smoked clove cigarettes for 10 years until 5 weeks ago. I always said I would quit smoking before I had grandchildren. The motivation was the look on 2 children's face when they saw their father nigh unto death in ICU because of his life choices. I decided then I would never do anything to cause my children that anguish and fear.

The look on their face still haunts me.

Congrats on qitting smoking.

I quit about 30 years ago and Im glad I did.

Im sure a number of your body parts would thank you if they could!....Your lungs will be happy and clear, and less prone to getting cancer, your blood vessels will be cleaner and less constricted thus avoidng danger high blood ptressure, your brain will be clearer and less likely to have a stroke, and finally your breath will be nicer and smell less like an old barroom floor.

And also...all your loved ones and friends will have you with them longer! Heres an article I googled about life expectancy....

Participants who had never smoked lived an average of 10 years longer than heavy smokers (defined as more than 20 cigarettes per day). The quality of life of the surviving participants was measured using a survey scale that measures health-related quality of life in categories including physical functioning, role limitations caused by health problems, role limitations caused by emotional problems, social functioning, emotional well-being, fatigue/energy, and general health perception.