GreaseSpot Cafe

more ancient manuscript discoveries in progress

I thought this article on the recovery of ancient writings, was pretty fascinating:

quote:
Now, in a breakthrough described as the classical equivalent of finding the holy grail, Oxford University scientists have employed infra-red technology to open up the hoard, known as the Oxyrhynchus Papyri, and with it the prospect that hundreds of lost Greek comedies, tragedies and epic poems will soon be revealed.

In the past four days alone, Oxford's classicists have used it to make a series of astonishing discoveries, including writing by Sophocles, Euripides, Hesiod and other literary giants of the ancient world, lost for millennia. They even believe they are likely to find lost Christian gospels, the originals of which were written around the time of the earliest books of the New Testament.

It certainly will be interesting to see what they come up with over the next decade.

Danny

Are there some websites that we can go to and view some of these findings Danny? You seem very well informed on these things. And know of a lot about these other writings.

Just wondering cause I don't know much about em at all. I'm just your basic kjv person. Need to spread my wings a bit.

I always look forward to what you post on these things. It helps me see things in a different light.

CM:

Here's a few sites that have some good information on early Christian manuscripts:

Christian Classics Ethereal Library

New Advent: The Fathers of the Church

I think that everybody should consider what has been written by the Church Fathers, in particular those that were alive during the Apostles' lifetimes. Not to replace scripture, but to supplement it. Face it, there are HUGE differences between many different groups, all of which calling themselves Christian. Wouldn't it be nice to know what was believed and practiced by those who knew Christ, who knew the Apostles, etc.? All denominations claim to do what is actually meant by Holy Scripture, right? Well, if you can read what the Apostles, or people who knew the Apostles, wrote, you'd likely get a chance to know what they thought scripture meant.

Take, for example, Baptism. (Now I don't want this to turn into a debate on Baptism, I'm just trying to illustrate my point here)

- There are some groups who say that a valid Baptism must involve the complete immersion of the body.

- There are some groups who say that a valid baptism can consist of pouring water over the head of the person

- There are some that say that water baptism itself is not necessary, rather God baptizes with the Holy Spirit

The Bible says baptize. Each of these groups uses the Bible to justify their beliefs.

So, what did the early Church practice?

A document called the Didache, written in the first century (likely between 65 and 80 AD), says the following:

quote:
Now about baptism, baptize this way: after first uttering all of these things, baptize "into the name of the Father and of the son and of the holy Spirit" in running water. But if you do not have running water, baptize in other water. Now if you are not able to do so in cold water, do it in warm water. Now if you don't have either, pour water three times on the head, "into the name of the Father, and of the son, and of the holy Spirit." Now before the ritual cleansing, the baptizer and the one being baptized should fast, and any others who are able. Now you will give word for the one who is being baptized to fast for one or two days beforehand.

Again, to repeat, I have no intention on engaging in a debate on baptism or any other theological study. The sole reason for putting this example up here was simply to illustrate the utility of being familiar with the teachings of the Church Fathers. FWIW

CM -

Since I first encountered that article yesterday, I've also been wondering and hoping for a website that might publish their findings as they go along. I hope they do it this way, rather sitting on any newly discovered material for the next 20-30 years.

I'll post any links I find, if there is such a site; perhaps others here may also know of some links to this particular project.

Danny

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...