GreaseSpot Cafe

Speaking of Gypsies....

Wacky Funster

The other day, while putting in new carpet in my office, my rentee told me I was a gypsy.

My mom used to call me a gypsy.

When I bought my little house and starting burrowing roots, I became much more stable.

It's been 9 years in this little cottage and my gypsy roots are kicking up.

I just wanna roam...I miss going to the roa and wow. I just wanna up and go for awhile...stability has it's merits but so does gypsying around the world.

I was just wondering if any fellow gs'ers has the spiritual gypsy gene...

It seems alot of us have been in this cafe sippin' java for some years now...

"spiritual gypsy gene" he he he! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I miss the moving around too (well - only just a little bit), but the older I get, the easier it is to *kick back* in

my chair,

in my house,

with my *stuff*,

with old memories,

and feeling good about them.

ahhhhh -- the *disadvantages* of getting old! icon_cool.gif

I do like having my *place*, but yea I have a bit of wanderlust still...

I took two 4,000 mile drives this winter just to clear out the cobwebs and to see the open road again....It wasn't quite like my younger days when I would be gone for years (this year it was about 3 or 4 weeks each time). It was refreshing and good for the soul nonetheless.

although I love where I live, it seems like once a week i want to move to the Himalayas..or the Caribbean...or the Southwest...or the Scottish Highlands...or Ethiopia...or Mongolia, Mexico, Memphis or Mt. Fuji...

One of my favorite books has always been "Travels with Charley (in Search of America)", by John Steinbeck. The first phrase is "When I was very young, and the urge was upon me to be someplace else....."

Yeah and I get the urge occasionally, too, John. But then I wouldn't get to see my grandson every week, or watch my Lab chase the geese off the neighbor's pond, and weeds would grow in the perennial bed. So I sigh, and say with Dorothy, "there's no place like home."

WG

I am a gypsy woman,

hey wackster,

become a flight attendant and get

that taken care of!!

I am sure its a spirit of travel,

and I got it!!

(writing from the shores of Charlotte

on my way back to the windy city)

lol

suz

Lets see, by the time I was 18 I had lived in 5 different states, 7 cities, and 11 different houses. Then I moved here for school. After four or five years I was ready to go, but I stayed, and I stayed and stayed. Well I have moved 10 times in the 13 years I have been here.

Now here I go again, off to another state and town. Hopefully for good.

But I don't like moving. I like traveling. We have done plenty of that. We do long weekend trips.

I live in a transient community.

Since I've been in my little cottage...I have been watching all my friends move away due to the rising costs of life.

Perhaps that's why I wanna leave too...

I feel like I'm being left behind!!!

As expensive as it is to live in this area, it is cheaper for me to live here than anywhere else...I have the "in's" on everything...so, I am blessed, yet feel cursed at the same time.

Lindy...travelling...I haven't really been anywhere in a few years now...perhaps I should plan a roadtrip...

Perhaps on Saturday I should look at 7 acres with a house on a river up in Vermont...

Gypsying...should be a real verb icon_cool.gif

Well....I have only lived in two places my whole life.

I was born and raised in the same small southern town. I only lived in 2 different houses in my life and even went to college in my hometown (I did live in the dorms and apartments then). My parents have had the same phone number for 35 years.

Left town as soon as I graduated from college and have been in the same town for the past 14 years. I have moved around in the metro area, but never very far.

We used to go on 2 week family vacations (in the car) every year when I was growing up, so I've seen a lot of really neat places in the US, but other than that, I haven't really been many places. I guess it's a good thing I don't have the wanderlust gene because I surely couldn't afford it. icon_smile.gif:)-->