GreaseSpot Cafe

"I shoulda left when..."

ChasUFarley

Ever wonder how something that you thought was so wonderful - so worth dedicating your life to and shaing with the world - is now something we loath so much and find so distasteful?

It burns my foot sometimes to think that I spent so much time with them. Yeah, yeah, yeah... it was my decision, yaddy,yaddy,yaddy... but there's days I swear I was sold a bill of goods. I'm thankful I got in young, left fairly young and was able to start over from scratch. I know others who don't have this option.

I'm not being "bitter" about this - just factual.

So, I guess I'll call this "I shoulda left when..." thread.

I'll start....

I shoulda left when I figured out that it wasn't about how tight your walk was with God, but who you knew... but I stayed 10 more years!

I should have left the first time I heard someone maligned and officially "marked and avoided" at a Twig Co-ordinator's meeting. They were not mentioned by name, but the details were explicit enough that we knew exactly to whom this referred. This person was a close friend, and, to my everlasting shame, I didn't jump up and say, "This is BULL$(-)!T"

I was just still too married to the idea that the leaders in the Way were operating "all nine all the time", and they must have been shown something by God that I either wasn't priveleged to know, or wasn't spiritually "sharp" enough to handle.

I shoulda left when they told me I was in grave danger living with my little brother and our good friend because they were unbelievers and smoking pot. They were panicked about me living with them and one of the girls wanted me to move in with her until I could find a place.

GAWD, I was so stupid!!!

I shouldda left when.... I was declared posessed by a viscious tc`s wife...

I shouldda left when (almost did) ... I was told that God required the abortion of my unborn child....

I shouldda left when.... the tc snarled at my 3 yr old for squirming after an hour and a half of deadly dull teaching at fellowship....

I shouldda left before I ever arrived ...sigh

Signals' lesson(in 20/20 HINDSITE VISION)...

I shoulda never have gone to that first twig.

I shoulda never returned the second time.

I shoulda left when a class was emphasized.

I shoulda left when ABS was emphasized.

I shoulda left when Weirwill was referred to as The Man Of God.

I shoulda left before I paid for the class.

I shoulda left before I took the class.

I shoulda left after lesson 1. 2. 3. 4., etc.

And my stupidity and blindness just kept snowballing. The thing is that I was trained to spot these cults in my psychiatric studies, yet fell prey like anyone else.

See I could come up with all sorts of negatives. But let's focus on the WHY we stayed in the Way. Honestly? I knew more people and had more friends back then than any other time in my life. We were never really alone. Sure there were the dinkuses, but there were alot of people you liked, got along with and had a good time. If you really needed someone you knew you can count on a believer to help you.

So yes we all went to hell in a bucket, but we all enjoyed the ride at some point.

I shouda left when LCM was named pres. of the way.

I wanted either Walter or John Townsend to be pres.

LCM was brainless to be sure,,might as well have Peter Pan as pres. he had more of a brain than LCM had and has even now.

he's a brainless moron with no morals.

I got in in the early 70s, hung with it for about 4 years , and then came and went until around 83 or 84 when I hung it up for good.

I had lots of friends who were active so I think I got some slack when I would disappear for a few months and return later but then there were corps who didn't know me so they didn't approve of my "wavering committment" - I didn't approve of their attitude. It wasn't a problem for me to walk away from it. I had things I wanted to do and couldn't see how being in TWI could help me get there.

I will say this. there was a guy who was known for being a real hardass , (many here know him), and I was avoiding him since because I was leaving I thought he would be wanting to yell at me. But he didn't. He pulled me aside and told me that as long as I was doing what I *really* wanted then he was in full support. It was a mindblower because any other day of the week this guy was known for screaming at everyone. Make no mistake. I was going no matter what he said but it was a bizarre situation.

I should have left when they told to sell my house in order to please God. My wife threatened to divorce me Way Style if I did leave The Way so I made myself accept what they said and stayed.

What a fool I was! That house is worth 4 times what paid. Never again will I allow another man or organiztion to Lord over my life in the name of God.

Get some guts and Get out now.

While you still have your shirt and

some of own spiritual self left.