GreaseSpot Cafe

Impure and Intimidated

Catcup

I am putting up my TWI tape library for auction on eBay, and as I was checking tapes and identifying teachers, I ran across a tape, #860 dated May 8, 1977, titled “Pure Not Intimidated.”

This tape is a classic example of how TWI has a history of intimidating people who dare to question them and how they make examples of those who do in order to control their people.

As I was listening to this tape, teacher Jerry Corrodi, a consultant to TWI’s legal department at the time, read a letter from a PFAL grad who had simply requested to know where the money went that came from classes and abundant sharing:

“Gentlemen,

I hope you can help me with an important question that has been put to me. I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me where the funds from abundant sharing and the different seminars goes to. It would help answer many questions that are raised by my parents and myself at times. Your help in furnishing me with this information would be a mighty blessing to me at this time. I thank you for your time and effort in answering this letter. God bless you.”

This seems to be a straightforward and honest question seeking an honest answer. There is nothing in it to indicate the writer is accusing anyone of misusing the funds. It is just a simple, honest question of what they are used for.

Also, this was a PRIVATE letter from a person who probably did not expect to be singled out for asking an honest question.

Although Corrodi didn’t name the grad directly, his private inquiry was publicly read, made an example of, and published world-wide for each and every tape subscriber to hear and consider.

Corrodi used this letter as his opening salvo in a teaching on the subject titled “Pure Not Intimidated,” and insinuated that if a Way follower entertained these kinds of questions, he or she is impure and motivated by fear.

Corrodi’s response to this letter:

“This is a Power For Abundant Living Grad who’s been asked to defend God’s ministry. This man, who’s been intimidated. It’s a subtle attack, on the ministry. It’s a subtle attack, on Dr. Wierwille.”

Corrodi goes on to say that no one outside the board of trustees dictates what is done with the money that comes in. He defends the job the Board of Trustees does and says they have done a great job of moving the Word over the world, and that every dime is scrutinized and watched over.

Corrodi admits that he says this "as an outsider from the board of trustees."

What does that mean? It means Corrodi has no access to the books and has to take the word of the board of trustees that they are honestly watching over, scrutininzing every dime, and using it to “move the Word.” Corrodi further elaborates:

“Now, I don’t have to defend what they do. All I have to do is hold forth the greatness of God’s Word. All you have to do is the same thing. And the only way I can be defeated is to be intimidated. And I refuse to be intimidated.”

In other words, if you are a GOOD follower, you don't have to answer those questions, no matter who poses them, not even yourself. If you ask such a question, you are DEFEATED, motivated by and full of FEAR. And no GOOD follower of The Way wants to be defeated. No GOOD follower of The Way should be fearful. Such questions are an attack on God's ministry and the man of God. No GOOD follower in his right mind would do such a thing.

A GOOD follower is not only under no obligation to answer such a question posed by other people, but a GOOD follower will not even allow him or herself to pose such a question. A good follower will simply take the word of the Board of Trustees WITHOUT QUESTION.

And so, world-wide, Way followers get the message: You don't dare ever pose such questions, publicly or privately, not even in your own mind.

Granted, this is a tape from 1977. But what has changed since that time?

Not a damn thing.

The books are STILL heavily guarded and the board STILL answers to no one and if you dare to ASK where the money goes, you are STILL regarded as IMPURE and FEARFUL and that the simple act of asking an honest question is an ATTACK on God’s ministry and his ministers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cat! Hi Geek!

If people paid for the Velveeta Virgin sandwich (or whatever that processed insanity was...lol) there no doubt would be somebodies willing to pay for the cassette baggage. But even to come to the same conclusion that TWI was corrupted, unpure, and ferociously intimidating would take aaallll those hours of listening and considering....blech.

I toted my library to the dump many years ago, knowing that among the crap were also some very dynamic, wonderful teachings (truly wonderful)that I always meant to "get back and relisten or re-research," but never did. Now I use the wall unit to house family pictures, photo albums, World Book Encyclopedias and maps of the world...lol...a good reclamation of space (the final frontier).

I love you guys and think of you fondly.

Unbelievable- at least almost. I listened to those tapes over and over- somehow I managed to miss this one. Must have not paid my bill, heh heh.

But it does not suprise me very much now..

I remember ole Doc's claim that the books were open for examination by any grad of PFAL.

Now we see what happened to people who took him up on his kind offer.

Excellent post, Catcup.

The stewards in the Bible were given money and expected to have accountability for what they did with it. Each was expected to "report back" on what he did with the money he was given. How, in the world of TWI math, did they get "accountability = intimidation"?

They never applied the reverse of this to themselves - they never chose to see how their intimidation of believers was used to get the results they wanted. The levels of intimidation they used escalated through the years - like an ocean wave wearing at a rock, erroding it until it becomes sand.

As "Jane Peon Believer", I felt I was expected to be accountable TO THEM for my money, my time, my marriage - even my sex life with my husband. They wanted to worm their way into every aspect of my little life. The areas of my life that they were not invited to have access to, they clawed their way into.

And the impure part... oh, don't get me started!

-The woman who smoked my x-husband out for, as being a homo, left HQ for the field and took her lover - her lesbian lover - with her.

-The man who ran the ministry and tried to teach us how to be better in our marriages and family - he got sued - more than once - for an "affair" (TWI's words).

-The ministry that taught us to live on a needs basis - they are sitting on millions of dollars. How much do you have to work at believing God when you have several million dollars in the bank? (They should have to have "believed God" like I did for food on the table and car repairs on a vehicle with 190K miles on it!)

Yup.... anutter gem of a teaching tape. I bet that one was reviewed for months in the fellowships!

Catcup,

Thanks for publishing some of the content of that tape.

Boy, that is TWI at its purest! Intimidate the followers by accusing them of being intimidated.

I took PFAL for the 1st time in 1976, I don't remember that particular tape, but I do remember feeling so much guilt whenever I had doubts about the ministry or could not feel confident when asked challenging questions by parents and others.

LooKout

Now wait just a darn picken minute here.... I was told by HOWARD ALLEN that it was my right as an Advanced Class Grad, at any given time to demand and SEE how all the money coming into TWI was being spent and handled! Because they were HONEST and had NOTHING to hide!

Often thought of taking him up on that offer~

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Is he still alive? Around New Knoxville? Wasn't that his wife in a recent picture?

Makes me think that perhaps many people were starting to ask TWI that question, and that this was an attempt to quash them all, in one shot.

It also bolsters my statement to the new Gspotter, signals, that people did try to question Wierwille, on many levels. His response was to label them "copped out" or possessed, or, as in this case, defeated by the adversary.

Let me intimidate you by telling everyone you're intimidated -- sheesh!

Regards,

Shaz

For all I know it could have been me who wrote that letter, because I remember sometime in the 1970's, I wrote a letter like that.

I got a written response back from Bo Reahard (probably have it someplace in my files), wherein Bo said that the information I was seeking was once available, but no longer.

He invited me to come to headquarters and he would give me a tour. Thanks Bo!

36_1_69.gif

My Daddy suggested that I ask to see the books, too. When I told my ex that I was planning to ask about why they weren't public and if we could see them he forbade me to ask.

I think he knew what the answer was going to be. Why that seems to be okay with people, I'll never understand.

I remember Moneyhands saying at a meeting once that OUR responsibility was to "do the word" (give 15% minimum) and that was it. Our responsibility ended at our giving. What TWI did with our money was TWI's responsibility. (in other words NONE OF OUR BUSINESS!!)

THIS WAS IN 2003 OR 2004!

It was announced that the 'Top Financial' service is hired by TWI to audit their 'books' on a regular basis...

Forgot the name of it... They must be sworn to secrecy so the 'word' won't get out how much is actually going to the pleasure of the BOT and LAWSUITS!!!

There is also the posibility that NOT all monies are accounted for... maybe a SECRET slush fund to hand right back out for immediate pleasures rendered...

I do recall seeing some pretty neat 'toys' that would not fall into the catagory of NEEDS in that TRAILOR PARK~ icon_eek.gif Toys that would not fit into a budget of TWI tiny salary!

I still say(watch hell open up!) a good old fashion lawyer and a suit will intimidate TWI's pure thoughts.

I also think that certain factions of government are starting to take notice of TWI!

And for the record...books can be dolled up. Also there are usually two sets of books. The real info was probably in Weirwill's mattress!

quote:
There is also the posibility that NOT all monies are accounted for... maybe a SECRET slush fund to hand right back out for immediate pleasures rendered...

I can't site sources, but I do distinctly remember reading some time ago someone who was "in the know" posting that TWI did have two sets of books..... Maybe they are still around or someone remembers where that post would be.

Yes, Trefor, they do have to answer to the government as a not for profit organization.

And, yes, they worked with Arthur Anderson to audit their books back when I was on staff-- and boasted about it.

We all know what came out about Arthur Anderson-- they were accused of helping corporations cook the books, were they not? At least TWI employed the very "best!"

Ralph "knows where the bodies are buried" regarding a second set of books.

I don't think seeing their books would be very enlightening. I'm sure they have a lot of leway as to how they classify expenses and still remain within the legal limits of what a 501©3 organization is allowed to do.

Seeing "the books" is a lot different in most cases from knowing how the money was really spent.

Well I cannot speak for the reliability and provenance of auditors hired by TWI.

But if they known fraudsters then the government should most certainly become interested.

And maybe it's about time that the government had a proper auditing department and forced such organisations to provide full and available accounts to all interested parties.

After all it is not just in the interests of those who donate but also in the interests of Joe Public Taxpayer who is effectively subsidising such organisations by paying a higher revenue through other sources.

It would put the fear of God up quite a few of these secretive groups and individuals, especially if they put what qualifies as expenses upon a more equal footing with similar profit making organisations.

Mah~Tilde, ~~~~~~~~~~~Mah Dear!

hee hee hee hee hee hee!

So good to read you again! Geek and I are fond O'You, too!

I, too, intended to give those tapes another listen, but never did until now. There are in fact a few goodies in there.

When we first left TWI, and I felt like tossing everything out (I did toss out all my WayRags and a few other things), I decided to wait until the emotions of the moment had cooled somewhat so I did not get rid of things I would later wish I had kept. So, I packed it all up and pushed it into the attic.

I later was able to supply the Allen's attorneys with an entire file box of information they otherwise would not have gotten. They still have the stuff. Some things I did toss, I wished later I'd have had to give them. I was just recently contacted by another party who needs some information that I culled from the stacks going off to eBayland.

A week later they had another guest teacher. No mention of any "errors" to be corrected from the last teacher, Jerry Corrodi.

The only reason Corrodi would have been hauled up from the legal department by the Board of Trustees to teach a Sunday Night Service, would be to bring in a big legal gun to shoot down a question they were tired of being asked so frequently, and intimidate believers from bringing it up again-- To keep them from

Bringing it up again to the BOT

Bringing it up to each other

and

Bringing it up even to themselves.

The Boart of Trustees and their appointed flunkies regularly intimidated people into patroling their own thoughtlife in order to cull out all objections and any ideas contrary to the doctrine TWI wanted their people to embrace.

Still goes on today.