GreaseSpot Cafe

Gene, Sherry Slavit

Allan

No, a couple of years ago he was working at Einstein's bagels in the office building I work in in Columbus. He asked if I wanted to come back to fellowship - I increduously asked him, what could it possibly offer?

He left two weeks later. He's probably still around here somewhere.

Well, I always figured, with so much great potential, he'd be rolling in dough some day. Yes, thanks to TWI, his more than abundant life has become a powerful witness - to those of us who have left.

Probably close to 50 and still living that WOW lifestyle. Corps lifestyle? Same thing. Want butter or cream cheese with that?

• 1 year later...

I ran into Sherry when I took the Advanced Class for grads in '94. We sat next to each other.

I saw them when I went to a Limb Meeting in Columbus around 2001. Sorry, the latter years with my involvement just got too boring.

But the last time I remember seeing them was in Columbus...

I always thought that Gene Slavit was one of the sweetest and smartest guys in the 9th Corps. Gene, if you're reading this, hope you're doing well. Please consider getting out; there really is life out here. And there is still Glory To His Name. "Doxa Eis Auton?" I used to remember that song. Best Greek teacher I ever had. Okay, only. But if there had been several, you'd have been the best.

I still have pictures of Twig activities on Guam where Sherry was furious at Gene. She was always very calm. But you know how it is. When you spend time with someone several days a week for a couple years you can read the situation. I hope they are both happy. I was a complete butthead with Gene when it all went up in flames. I wish I could talk to him and Sherry.

Gene,

if you're reading this I am sorry. I am sorry I was such a complete monster when I returned from the states. I'd do it totally different if I could do it over. I've done a lot of growing too and I had to deal with the rug being yanked out from under me too. It was a privelage to learn from you. You were the best until...well, you know. I wish I would have worked with you not against you. It's been 20 years. It doesn't matter anymore. I'm married with children now, a son (9) and a daughter (5). I'm a probation officer and I'm more interested in hinduism than Christianity. They are both very much a part of my marrow and they always have been. It would be nice to talk to you again and make amends with you. Just cause we both got burned by TWI doesn't mean we stop being people.

God Bless you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Love always,

Carl

Gene is one of the most knowledgeable and intelligent persons I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Gene and Sherry are no longer married.

They have a son who is a smart and delightful fellow.

Their son is in the 9th grade this year.

Sherry and son were living in the New Knoxville area as of last May.

I know nothing of the whereabouts of Gene but knowing the love he had for and the involvement with his son

I cannot picture in my mind his heart allowing him to be any where but near.

As far as any current association with TWI goes I can only do the math.

God bless you Gene, Sherry and (name withheld)

• 1 month later...

Would love to contact him. Gene and I were very close. I remember sitting with him in the dining room our first week in residence and Craig yelled at him because he always drew a caricature of himself next to his signature. I asked Gene about the caricature he and he smiled and told me thats how he signed his checks. He flashed a grin and we continued to fight over the gorp.

• 5 months later...

Yo Carl!

thought I'd chime in here... (a good a place as any) Last year or earlier this year I did a search for Gene, I guess to see if he'd escaped, and I found a reference in an old forum post by a guy who had appreciated his blessings and had entertained Gene and Sherry for some humdinger of a bbq. Anyway, I wrote him asking if he had some kind of address and, when he finally got back to me the address he gave me was PO Box 328, New Knoxville... O well... :(

I agree with everyone, he was/is a great, dynamic individual, a fine teacher and a good friend, but I guess ol' E. Max ain't as smart as we gave him credit for. Unfortunately the very qualities that make him such a strong individual are. apparently, the very ones that keep him bound to a dying cult. Gene is the kind of guy who, when the goin' gets tough, digs his heels in and STANDS! Sadly, I guess he's still standing... in the wrong direction.

Carl, you and I both saw that ol' "root, hog or die" stubborness when he withstood us to the face back in '87 when we led almost the entire branch out of the way and I guess he's still stickin' to it. well... he's also still in my prayers... Sherry too. To think that they have been still stickin' around for all that bull---- and abuse all these 20 years... it makes me shudder!

Love Ya Bro,

Pat

Edited by free2love

Yo Carl!

thought I'd chime in here... (a good a place as any) Last year or earlier this year I did a search for Gene, I guess to see if he'd escaped, and I found a reference in an old forum post by a guy who had appreciated his blessings and had entertained Gene and Sherry for some humdinger of a bbq. Anyway, I wrote him asking if he had some kind of address and, when he finally got back to me the address he gave me was PO Box 328, New Knoxville... O well... :(

I agree with everyone, he was/is a great, dynamic individual, a fine teacher and a good friend, but I guess ol' E. Max ain't as smart as we gave him credit for. Unfortunately the very qualities that make him such a strong individual are. apparently, the very ones that keep him bound to a dying cult. Gene is the kind of guy who, when the goin' gets tough, digs his heels in and STANDS! Sadly, I guess he's still standing... in the wrong direction.

Carl, you and I both saw that ol' "root, hog or die" stubborness when he withstood us to the face back in '87 when we led almost the entire branch out of the way and I guess he's still stickin' to it. well... he's also still in my prayers... Sherry too. To think that they have been still stickin' around for all that bull---- and abuse all these 20 years... it makes me shudder!

Love Ya Bro,

Pat

Pat, it would be so nice to talk to Gene. I haven't kept good contact with many people in my life. right now it is very much like, or exactly like, a good Neil Young song: "one of these days, I'm gonna write a long letter, to all the friends I've had, one of these days, I'm gonna sit down and write a long letter, ...one of these days...."

God Bless us everyone!

p.s. is there anyway to see the whole thread on grease spot? what is this open, close, open close none sense? on other sites I can scroll and read?! is this some default format for you all die hard Macintosh devotees? :biglaugh:

Love Always,

Carl