GreaseSpot Cafe

what ever happen to New Horizons?

jladyday

Man I loved those guys!

a shoop-doop doop-doop doo doop

a shoop-doop doop-doop doo doop

Well, I forgot the lead singers name but he was in the Baltimore Washington area back in the late 80's and early 90's, I believe. I moved up in 93 and I think he left not too long before I got there. I would guess that the chasing out of Stokely Rose and his family may have had something to do with it. He was/is loved by many and when they were M&A'ed many from that area split with them.

As far as the group itself, I'm not sure. I think they came together over thier WOW year and probably split as their lives changed and they moved on. Of course as faces of TWI I'm sure that they were pressured/hounded to go corps. I think the lead singer did go. If the rest didn't want to "grow" in da ministry, I don't see how they could have stayed together in the culture of the way.

I loved all the dance moves too. Much too much soul for TWI part duh.

Lindyhopper is right about the group forming during their WOW year. It was in Chicago around 1980. (I was still in Illinois at the time.) I thought that they all went Corps, staying together through various assignments so they could continue to perform. On the other hand, I haven't heard anything about them for 25 years.

George

Naw, Belle, Mike Finley was way to white for New Horizons. lol He was a very good drummer though, and had the funniest laugh I have ever heard.

Ron Hurst is correct. In fact he may have been the limb coordinator of MD cause the year I got there they had just gotten a new LC and I had heard that Ron Hurst had left the ministry. Like I said that was around 92-93.

man they were great. Remember that song "Door to Door Witnessing" they actually made it sound fun. LOL They really were that good.

Yeah, now that I remember it he was the LC od MD. I met him at the Rock a year or two before I moved up there. I was so excited about him being there cause I thought they were just about the coolest guys in the ministry. When I arrived in MD Jo#n Spev@ck was the new LC.

• 4 weeks later...

maybe foreshadowing???

Burlin (sp) Duell, originally from Alexandria Louisiana was one of the "New Horizons." Like so many faces from then I haven't a clue where he is now.

It was amazing to see what became of this man in just a short time. He took the class in '79? 80? and was never "outstanding" in any real way then.

A year or two later... incredible.

Oh... sometimes I'm just "duh"... someone earlier said "Mike Washington"... but, boy that name doesn't ring any bells with me and I don't remember them having a drummer... just four guys singing wonderful harmony. Of course, I AM getting old... you know, the brain just starts going...

Someone who knows... help!

Edited by TheHighWay

• 1 year later...

Hmmm was Mike Washington from the twig in I think it was Montclair NJ? (I think it was Montclair or a town close by) I went to a fellowship there (I grew up not far from there) in the 80's andif it's the same one man this guy could sing! He also looked alot like Eddie Murphy!

1979-80 Wild year

Muscogee, Ok

5 guys, 1 wild family.

Family coordinator was Tchad (forgot last name)

Ron Hurst

Michael Washington

Jamille (forgot last name)

Max (forgot last name)

I was a mini wow that year in ok and have the cassette that they gave all the wows in ok at a limb day.

when ron & michael went into the corps, other corps guys were added to replace the ones who didnt go corps.

the original new horizons was always the best, they were the ones who started it.

Edited by jackdaniels

Okay, this much I know...

Ron was in Chicago in the fall of 1981. He and the other NH guys were part of my PFAL class crew and sang to me at the last session (I was the only one who finished it). He went into the corps some time after that. I distinctly remember James, Burlen, and Ron. The fourth guy escapes my memory, but it might have been Michael. At my first ROA in 1982, I knew virtually no one but the gal who brought me, but then NH step out on the stage and I said, "I know them!" Her jaw just dropped to the floor, lol.

I believe Ron was assigned to the Northeast when he graduated the corps, but I've not heard about him since he left twi.

James went back to Kansas and stayed his wonderful, sweet self.

Mrs. Burlen Deull once posted on the forums (years ago) but got into some heated debates with other posters and hasn't been around since.

I saw them in Columbus, Ohio in the early 1980s.

They were on the road doing "public ex.'s"( remember those?)

They were MUCH too good to be singing at public ex.'s and I felt like their talent was being exploited.

There was a lot of that "trophy mentality" back then.

In Cleveland, we used to dog Phil Keaggy(Glass Harp) to take PFAL.

The trinity was always the crucial stumbling block.

Wouldn't that be a swell trophy for TWI to say that someone of his level of talent was one of us?

That was the thinking behind it.

None of it was about him as a person, it was about him as a trophy.

It's really just another sales technique.

" Ya know, Mrs. Jones, your neighbor down the street just bought TWO of these---------------"

I hope they are doing well.